SR20 Forum banner

New pics of my NX, Roll Cage

2K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  NISMObuttnutz 
#1 ·
Here are some new pics of my nx and my roll cage, PM me for contact info for cages. The guy that did it does great work, and does it fast! Enjoy...

-Josh

Damn pics dont work...if anybody wants to host them you can pull them off of:
http://northwestnissans.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17321

Only a few there, any new pic hosting places that work???

#2 ·
I still think you are nuts for doing that on a street car lol :) Is there a reason he didn't tie in the rear strut towers? Also, why didn't he extend the bar behind the seats all the way across so you can use a harness on the passenger side?

#3 ·
paNX2K&SE-R said:
I still think you are nuts for doing that on a street car lol :) Is there a reason he didn't tie in the rear strut towers? Also, why didn't he extend the bar behind the seats all the way across so you can use a harness on the passenger side?

I probably am nuts ;) But hes making me a neato rstb for free so he can massmarket them, and I told him I didnt matter about the pass side, cause i wasnt planning on running one, but I can always get that added if I feel the need to!

-Josh

#6 ·
Thanks guys. If those pics dont work you can try looking directly at my imagestation account. user name : legacyej22 the pics are in "newer nx pics"

-Josh

Oh yeah, ill try to get these hosted someplace else so they can actually work...

#7 ·
paNX2K&SE-R said:

yeah, I thought if you ahve a cage in a street car, and you are in an accident you are dead? Anyways, I'd like to see the pics.

#8 ·
djmayhem said:
yeah, I thought if you ahve a cage in a street car, and you are in an accident you are dead? Anyways, I'd like to see the pics.
I would think that would be the oppositve the idea of a cage. I mean why would they have cages in rally cars where conditions regularly involve roll over's etc, if they increased the rate of death in traffic accidents

#18 ·
OK, I'm going to sound very critical here, but please bear with me. PCI, this is not a personal attack in any way. I feel like I have to clear up a few things so people don't get unsafe ideas. This rollcage is very poorly built in my opinion. It would not pass safety inspection for most any racing event.

The double bends in the front of the cage to go around the dash are positively stupid - any time you put a double bend in a tube it dramatically reduces it's ability to accept load. In an accident, that tube would just accordion and collapse. There are a few bolt-in cage manufacturers who sell cages like that so you don't have to cut the dash, but they are NOT SAFE. I see people copying designs like that, but this is a poor way to build a cage.

I can't think of any reason the rear hatch area was done the way it was. The drag-car style rear tubes that bend down to meet the floor in the back are not a good idea. There is no reason to put a bend there, and it makes that part of the cage much weaker. I also don't understand the reason for the u-shaped tube with the two braces attaching to it?? It would have been much stronger to just have a diagonal or an X. Also, the strut towers are really the place it needs to be attached - that is a weak area of the car.

Other general concerns are just that it is not very close to the a-pillars, b-pillars, or roof. The closer to the shell the better, (and further from your head/body) . To me, it is just looks lazy to have the tubes that far from the body. Your helmeted head probably sticks above the highest part of your main hoop!

Again, I'm sorry if this offends anyone. I just hate seeing really poorly built rollcages because they give the illusion of safety, and people often pay good money for bad work. Flame away, I can answer any questions.

andris

#19 ·
djmayhem said:
There is a reason you don't put bars in a street car... unless you wear 5 pt harness all the time. If you ride around with the stock belts you have a chance of hitting your head or other body parts on those bars. But if you cruise with 5pts you should be fine. There is still a chance of hitting your head on a bar but greatly reduced with the 5pt. Just get a dot helmet and drive around with that and 5 pts... haha :D But seriously get all of those exposed bars covered with rollbar specific foam...

I see what andris is saying about the double bent bar but I think with the door bars you will be ok because the front bars won't be able to bend due to the support that the door bars add. Now on passing tech for certain race groups I have no Idea he is probably correct there... I don't know.

Anyway the cage looks good but I would definately consider not cruising around without 5 pt harness and definately get some foam on those exposed bars in front.

Looks good... later man.

#22 ·
Thanks for posting your honest opinions I guess, hopefully I wont have to find out how it works in a roll. I trust the guy who made it, as he builds cages for rock crawlers and several of them have rolled. All I can tell you is it stiffened the HELL out of the car, its like a whole differant car. This board is always the most critical, thats why I love you guys! :)

Thanks again

Josh

#23 ·
BLAH BLAH BLAH, unsafe, maybe, safer than stock.....definately. Hitting your head on the cage if in a minor accident won;t do much especially with the padding, trust me, I know from experience, gave me a small headache, that was about it. There is no way it could have gone up any closer to the pillars because of the T tops. The Ubend in the back was for looks, I think it looks good personally. Doesnt really matter what places would not approve it or not, I doubt he'll be taking it to an event that would require it anyways. No offense to anyone, but you guys sound like my grandma :D

#24 ·
NISMObuttnutz said:
BLAH BLAH BLAH, unsafe, maybe, safer than stock.....definately. Hitting your head on the cage if in a minor accident won;t do much especially with the padding, trust me, I know from experience, gave me a small headache, that was about it.
you got lucky then.

besides, in a minor accident, you shouldnt be hurt at all. my friend got hit with his cage, smacked his head on the main hoop with padding and it knocked him out. consussion and everything. this was from a minor accident.

to say that roll cage bars dont hurt when your head hits them is just foolish.

#25 ·
HotshtSR20 said:
you got lucky then.

besides, in a minor accident, you shouldnt be hurt at all. my friend got hit with his cage, smacked his head on the main hoop with padding and it knocked him out. consussion and everything. this was from a minor accident.

to say that roll cage bars dont hurt when your head hits them is just foolish.
I think those of us w/ roll bars should wear helmets and 5pts around town! How fun would that be. I think I'll start doing that just for fun... maybe I can get some pics :D

#26 ·
NISMObuttnutz said:
BLAH BLAH BLAH, unsafe, maybe, safer than stock.....definately. Hitting your head on the cage if in a minor accident won;t do much especially with the padding, trust me, I know from experience, gave me a small headache, that was about it. There is no way it could have gone up any closer to the pillars because of the T tops. The Ubend in the back was for looks, I think it looks good personally. Doesnt really matter what places would not approve it or not, I doubt he'll be taking it to an event that would require it anyways. No offense to anyone, but you guys sound like my grandma :D
I hit my head on a cage once that was padded but with the top bar too close to the driver. I was wearing a helmet and a six point harness and I still got a consussion. Your body and the harness really streaches in an accident as does the a non FIA approved seat, etc.

Andris is totaly correct about the cage, its a poor desgin built by someone without any road race experiance. Rock crawling roll overs are at low speeds but road racing accidents can be very violent from very high speeds. It looks like a drag racing cage most of which are also underbuilt proably due to drag racing not usualy risking getting hit by other cars or hitting things head on.

The cage was built more to preserve the stock interior than for function. On the other hand when used with a good FIA approved seat and harness system, its probably a lot safer than the NX's T-Tops.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.