SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of 2 '71 Datusn 510's. After putting up with a rather PITA time with the L18 I have in my runner now, I have decided on an engine swap. A local posted this add,
"Motor & Trans. -- SR20DE RWD engine and transmision. This is a non-turbo 150 HP rear drive engine with 5-speed transmission, complete with wiring harness and fuel injection system. $800.00 Will not ship."

Sence I am new to the whole sr thing, I would like a couple questions answered. First of all let me explane the reasons why I am leaning to the sr20de, not the DET. First of all, I have no constraints from SMOG laws in my home state of Cal, or my current residence of Wa, gotta love smog exempt. Sence the DE was placed in the SE-R's (both Sentra, and 200sx) NX2000, G20, Sentra SE... I figured that parts were a little easier to come by then ones for the DET.
So I was wondering, do parts for the FWD DE's bolt into, and mount up to the RWD platform? What I mean is intake mani's, ECU's, Cams, flywheels, clutches, etc. If so, is the $800 price tag for the trans, motor, etc. worth it? I know the engine is a bullet proof one, aswell as a true performer. (battling those pesky SE-R's in SSB!)

Any help is welcome, comments, suguestions, etc. Just don't tell me to sell the Neon

·
_______
3,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rich:

do parts for the FWD DE's bolt into, and mount up to the RWD platform? What I mean is intake mani's,ECU's, Cams, flywheels, clutches, etc. If so, is the $800 price tag for the trans, motor, etc. worth it? I know the engine is a bullet proof one, aswell as a true performer. (battling those pesky SE-R's in SSB!)
</font>
Welcome Rich.

I can answer a few Q's. The FWD intake manifold will NOT bolt up to the RWD DE. I think you can get away with using a FWD DE wiring harness and ECU but you might have to lengthen a few wires to get it to work.

I'm not sure about anything else but try E-mailing this guy. [email protected] This is his page http://members.nbci.com/BADROC/vans.html He is doing a DET swap into a roadster. It started out as a DE then he went to a DET. He should be able to answer any questions you have.

Mike

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
the motor mounts are diffrent also, the regular de has a front motor mount that needs to be used, and has an electric fan for the radiator. the det does have a normal fan on it.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
the motor mounts are diffrent also, the regular de has a front motor mount that needs to be used, and has an electric fan for the radiator. the det does have a normal fan on it.

</font>
The RWD sr20de needs a FMM?

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well you can make it fit if you want. Like in this book my friend has on Honda and Acura Performance, they took a b18c and make it a rear wheel drive. If you are die hard at doing it, it can be done. If you are going custom it can be done. Put a bar across the fron where the front mount needs to be and that way you can use all the mounts. Just matters how much money you have

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I might need to clarify something here
The motor I am buying is a RWD sr20de, out of a JDM S13 Silvia Q's. Same chassis, and trans as the sr20det in the K's but less the turbo. It is not a FWD motor that I am making fit a RWD platform. I have the swap delt with, along with the new drive shaft that is needed. It's almost a bolt in swap (only $40 in JY parts is needed) What I was wondering is, will a 240sx flywheel, and clutch work (it's a larger size then the FWD sr20de) also, will cams, ecu's etc work across?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm almost certain that FWD cams will not work since the exhaust cam drove the dist. on the FWD cars. As for ECU, JWT can program a KA24DE ECU to work with a SR20. Here's a link to a SR20DE in a Westfield SE http://www.se-r.net/multimedia/pictures/nats'98/ellerby.html

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For some reason I think the cams are longer on the rwd motors. I think they're different. as far as the flywheel and clutch i'm sure you could find one either from JUN or maybe JWT could tell you were to find one. They deal with customers doing this all the time. You could try SE-R.net archives try 240sx.net(is that the name?) they have people that have swaped them into 240sx's and could probly answer you better then I could. Do the rwd de's have the direct ignition or the distributer? I think that has to do with the cams being different. and also make sure that if its direct ign. to get the coil too. or you could end up paying tons to get one from japan.
Nick mccollom 93nx2000

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the det's are the ones with the DIS system, so it does have a distrubitor. Once again, thank you all for the help.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Header: No (Duh)
Cams: No
Intake: No
Clutch: No
Flywheel:No
ECU: Dunno, but I'm sure JWT can make it work.

Your pretty much out on your own as far as trying to use FWD parts on the RWD motor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts