SR20 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed my new turbo a Garrett t3t4 with a .60 compressor and an .82 exhaust. The turbo is huge. We had to cut the oil catch can mount off and machine a flange to space it out from the block. It spools a bit different than my previous turbo. A turbonetics .50 compressor and .63 exhaust. The new turbo takes forever to build boost. I finaly reach full boost at 6500rpm. It starts to spool at 2000rpm and reaches 10lb at 5000rpm but creeps up from there. When it is up in the rpms it pulls harder than before. The turbo is port matched down to the hair which helped a bit but it still feels like a dog down low. Am I just not used to having such a big turbo or is my delta waste gate having problems keeping up with the monster?? Do they need time to break in and loosin up? While we were doing all this I divorced my wastegate from the downpipe and removed the extra o2 hole. I will post some pictures soon. Let me know what you think.
Thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
ShawnSE-R said:
I recently installed my new turbo a Garrett t3t4 with a .60 compressor and an .82 exhaust. The turbo is huge. We had to cut the oil catch can mount off and machine a flange to space it out from the block. It spools a bit different than my previous turbo. A turbonetics .50 compressor and .63 exhaust. The new turbo takes forever to build boost. I finaly reach full boost at 6500rpm. It starts to spool at 2000rpm and reaches 10lb at 5000rpm but creeps up from there. When it is up in the rpms it pulls harder than before. The turbo is port matched down to the hair which helped a bit but it still feels like a dog down low. Am I just not used to having such a big turbo or is my delta waste gate having problems keeping up with the monster?? Do they need time to break in and loosin up? While we were doing all this I divorced my wastegate from the downpipe and removed the extra o2 hole. I will post some pictures soon. Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Did you get a 'Stage V' turbine wheel in a 0.82 housing, or a Stage III wheel? That is way too laggy for a Stage III in a 0.82 A/R housing.

Also, the compressor housing should be the same for a 50 trim wheel and a 60 trim wheel. The outline of the turbo shouldn't have changed.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is larger in size than my other turbo. My .50 is smaller looking than my brothers .57. You can see the difference. The Garrett was completly different, I even had to shave the valve cover a smig for clearence. It is comparable to a stage 3 but I think garrett uses a different term than turbonetics. Correct me if Im wrong. I dont know a ton about turbos. He did have a .82ar with a .60 compressor wheel that was fit insde a .57 housing. But the horn would have had to have been machined to fit a three inch pipe.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would I want to reconnect what I just thought I fixed. If that is what you are telling me to do. I am confussed. Are you telling me to put it back through the exhaust? I just had that cut off and welded shut. I am running a seperate exhaust for the wastegate down to the bottom of the car. What do you think?

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts

Where do u have the waste gate mounted? is it on the collector? but before we get that far you should get another wastegate. I have heard nothing good come from the Delta gate. If u get a Tail 35mm it will bolt up to the Delta gate flange so no new mods needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts