SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably getting a SE-R classic sometime this month. I am stoked to say the least.
It's my friend's car. I think it's a '91 with 157,XXX miles. I think the only motor upgrade is a 2 1/4 exhaust with a borla muffler. It still pulls really hard (just toyed with some cheezy civic test driving it today
), but I'm kinda worried about the mileage. I'm thinking about refreshing the motor a bit when i get it, but I'm not really sure what I should do. Should i keep hopping this motor up with a set of cams, P/P, etc? Should I build a turbo beastie?

I'm just looking for some suggestions on how to make cheap, reliable horsepower. I would also like to know the life expectancy on these motors, and which upgrades are a really noticeable bang for the buck, and last; I'd like to know how much it'd cost to build a turbo setup the right way.

Thanks for any info!

------------------
"more housing
developments go up
named after the things
they replace,
so welcome to
meadowbrook, and
welcome to shady
space."
-modest mouse

·
Of Topic Count: 11,684
1,168 Posts
i woulnt reccomnend turbo on that engine, if you want to go turbo just get a turbo engine the SR20DET, or get a JDM or newer US engine then throw fmax, or some turbo kit on it...cheap HP comes from HEader, Pulleys, Intake Syetem!
Welocme to the Family man!

------------------
- Dennis
http://www.geocities.com/sr20deswap/
-91 Classic w/ Priemra Swap
Aim: avurX

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I wouldn't go turbo(might as well buy a DET) but bolt-ons will be no problem. I own an NX with 195k miles. I autocross and have run it on a track before. I know of at least two people who race or lap their cars with over 200k on the odometer. These motors are tough!

I would look more towards the chassis than the motor for wear and tear as long as it's seen regular maintenance.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be sure you check out that 5th gear pop-out!!
I say go for it if it still "rides out!!"

------------------

-

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
I wouldn't worry about 157,000 miles as long as there are no obvious signs of neglect (rod knocks, oil smoke). A JDM Primera motor is cheaper than a rebuild and makes more hp than the US SR20. Drive that SE-R until the engine explodes, then replace it with a JDM.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
I would get a newer SE-R if I where you. A 91 is 11 years old. Metal fatigue is a bitch. And most likely an 11 year old car is fatigued. Try getting a 95+ car. If your modding a 95+ SE-R it is just as good as a Classic. If you cannot afford a newer SE-R, then get the 91.

PS: I know about the multi-link vs. IRS debate

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
*AHEM*

my 1993 NX w/ 172,000 miles is not what i'd call fatigued. in fact, when people ride, they say "hey, matt, this thing's quicker than your 200!"

fatigued..

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Metal fatigue is a bitch.</font>
Nothing a bolt in 6pt roll cage can't fix

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn!!!

thanks for all the info, guys! sounds like i'll have plenty of time to upgrade other junk before i have to sweat a new motor. i'll probably rock some gray 200sx SE-R wheels, get some various suspension braces and other stuff in the meantime. i'll try to keep from hopping up this motor since i'll kinda be wasting time until i get a new one, but i know how that goes...
i'm also wondering where i can get a shogun kit and a set of euro tails.. this "sleeper" appearance is a bit subdued

...time to read up some more.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Euro tails are WizACK!!
Keep it clean , mein!!!

------------------
and me and my wife

-

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i forgot...

the motor has seen okay maintenence (not perfect) and seems to be okay. very minor lifter ticking, no rod knocking, minor oil smoke. i'll be changing the oil every 3,000 and generally pampering the car so i'm sure i'll get some good life out of it. i don't think it pops out of 5th, and everything still feels tight. i want to do poly suspension bushings when i get it for good measure, and it already has tokicos, eibachs and toyo proxies. i'll throw some bars in there (possibly a cage) and she should be good to go!

...and i want a classic SE-R. i like the 200sx, but they're too pricey and just not my "steelo". i think this is the best car i'll be able to find for a few grand, and it'll end my bad habit of buying VWs.

[This message has been edited by ex dubber (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Guys, I am not tlaking about engine fatigue or maintenance. I am talking about metal aging. Just like we age so does the metal on a car. Like it or not a 91 SE-R that is well maintained is NOT going to be as tight as a 98 SE-R that is well maintained. Things age, deal with it.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Fatigued? I guess it depends on how the car was maintained. Any 91 car could be in much better condition than a thrashed 98 car...good maintenance is key.

I'd say get a mechanical inspection to make sure everything is ok. Compression check, make sure frame is straight, etc. If everything checks out, you're golden. You'll then have the manliest of SE-Rs <duck!>.

As for cheap, reliable hp, your simple breathing mods will be good, like a CAI and header. You might wanna do the suspension if the shocks are worn out.

If you want turbo, then get a DET for $1800 or so and get a FMIC and 3" exhaust. That'll be cheap(ish), fast(mid 13s on slicks), and good. Hard combo to find.

------------------
Antonio Garcia
91 SE-R w/ lots of stuff
Bay Area, CA

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">i'll
throw some bars in there (possibly a cage) and she should be good to go!</font>
You aren't talking about those stupid-ass monkey bars, are you?

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Pray to God that he isn't.

Just pray.

Those are the stupidest invention I've seen in a long, long time. Monkey bars. Anybody wanna' ride around with bars that are shaped so that, in case you do get in an accident, you'll be sure to get brained/sliced in half by them?

Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Exdubber: Autopower 4-point/6-point bolt-in roll bar/cage is the way to go.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, JWT pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS direct-port 75hp, Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Those are the stupidest invention I've seen in a long, long time. Monkey bars. Anybody
wanna' ride around with bars that are shaped so that, in case you do get in an
accident, you'll be sure to get brained/sliced in half by them?

Stupid, stupid, stupid...</font>
I couldn't have said it better. I will never get into a car that has one of those increadibly dangerous contraptions. I really can't believe they haven't been made illegal yet.

Other things I hate to see in cars:

-Racing harnesses that turn 90 degrees behind the shoulders and mount directly to the floor board. Can you say spinal compression?

-Fire extinguishers mounted on A-pillar. Nothing like a 7 lb object moving toward your face at 500 mph when the air bag goes off in an accident.

·
Registered
450 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:

-Fire extinguishers mounted on A-pillar. Nothing like a 7 lb object moving toward your face at 500 mph when the air bag goes off in an accident.
</font>
Hey hopefully it gets punctured by something on the way, so that way it would help cool those Boo Boos you get in the crash!

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You aren't talking about those stupid-ass monkey bars, are you?
</font>
Awfully quiet now. Greg, we must have hit a little close to home...

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh nononononononononono...

no. i'm talking about strut tower brace/ lower suspension brace (do they make 'em for se-r's?) then an autopower cage. no shitty ANYTHING will make it into any of my cars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts