SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyone been gapping their NGK's at? Either regular or the platinums, hell even the iridium if there are some being used out there! Which style do you guys prefer or have seen the best performance from? Thanks gang!

[This message has been edited by ProjectSE-R (edited 09-20-2001).]

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
.44 NGK PLATS. STOCK TYPE.
94 SE-R

------------------

SmoothDaddyFig

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks smoothdaddy! I realized that this was a wasted topic after picking a set up from the dealer today, they are pregapped! DOH! This import parts place here wanted 17.95 for the damn NGK Plats! I said, uh no! I asked him what they had been smoking because the damn dealer sells them all day for 9 bucks a pop!

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
John;

Ditch the plats and just get the regular NGK BKR5 (or 6, or 7)E-11 plugs.

They're dirt cheap.

And, if you're headed for Nitrous World (like me
), you'll be ditching the plats anyway. Big Daddy Nitrous does not like platinum plugs.

With nitrous, I gap 'em at .030-.035

It 's been so long since I was NA I can't remember what I gapped 'em at. Probably .040-.045, IIRC.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, a proud customer of Nitrous Oxide Systems, Inc., [email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks Greg! Only thing is, I am not sure I am running NOS yet as you know I am waiting on sammy slow-poke to confirm a date on the delivery of my DET and to give me pricing on either one for you! I was reading some pst archives in the general forum and someone posted that their car was running nasty and hesitating with Bosch Plats, what I have now, and their exhaust was sounding "RICY" like me. I just wanted to switch, I couldnt find ANYONE here that stocked the regular plugs, its so odd.

·
Registered
858 Posts
according to Jim Wolf himself, He recommended me to use the ngk plats from a na 300zx pfr6g11 gapped to stock specs and I've had no problems with performance and the plugs look great still 5 bottle fillups later so I wonder who started this rumor about nos and plats not getting along?

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redman007:
according to Jim Wolf himself, He recommended me to use the ngk plats from a na 300zx pfr6g11 gapped to stock specs and I've had no problems with performance and the plugs look great still 5 bottle fillups later so I wonder who started this rumor about nos and plats not getting along? </font>
Fine pay $12 PER plug instead of $5 a SET for the copper plugs.

I ran copper in the turbo monster. I could afford to swap them out once a month at $5 vs $30+

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Redman007:

I wouldn't call it a rumor about platinum plugs and nitrous. At least as far as my direct port setup is concerned (highport engine), it doesn't like plats at all.

It'll pop and hiss all the way down the track with them in there.

Of course, when I autocross (NA), then plats (or just re-gapped coppers) work just fine.

Backing up what Hass said...I'd rather buy 4 sets of coppers anyway, for the price of 1 set of platinums. Multiple sets pre-gapped are always handy at the dragstrip...

Again...plats may work fine in your setup. But do me a favor: Make a complete pass using nitrous (0-60 or quarter mile, doesn't matter), then immediately shut the car off and pull your plugs.

Don't do this 2 minutes later, or two days later, but as soon as possible after making the run.

I'm a betting guy, and I bet you find signs of detonation in there. You may not hear it, but you'll see it on your plugs, in the form of little brown specks.

Just my $.02 after taxes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts