SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a BB motor in 93 NX. The motor has been resting since Feb when he bent all the intake valves because of a timing mishap. Still dont know what happened.

Either way it has slowly been in resurection for the last few weeks being driven harder as more mileage is back on it. He took me for a ride a few weeks ago at 11lb. I was impressed but it did not feel like the old NX at 11lb that I remembered. He found out timing was at 8* He since put it up to 15*base timing. What a damn difference. The car will do a rolling 2nd gear burnout with the LSD, and T1S tires. I know that if I race him in my Miata I can not afford to make any mistake or he will have me. I cant wait to get my Classic and do a DET in it. That will be a fun Grocery getter.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How bad is the 3rd gear problem. Is it Torque related, or Shifting related? Miata Trannies are good for over 300whp. Over 350 they start shreding teeth on hard shifts. I have not heard of any breaking simply from torque. All of the problems are in the case. The case flexes so much it pulls the gears appart to spread the force on a smaller area.

I have had 2 Trainnies go because of syncro problems. The car has a VERY bad trait on the 2nd to 3rd shift. When the 230 ftlb of torque to the wheels unloads when clutch is depressed the whole powertrain shifts over. 5th gear is physically where 3rd is suppost to be in the car. 3rd is where 1st is, and 1st is not attainable. The Motor tranny and Diff have a total of 4 mouning points. 2 on the motor, and 2 on the diff. There is a alum frame that goes from the diff to the tranny. It flexes a lot under power. Both of my tranny deaths have been related to this where I lost the 3rd or 5th syncro. Last tranny was both before I replaced it. I have actually pulled the tranny down 6 times in the last year. I put a stock clutch in when I bought the car. Was not sure if I was going turbo, and car needed a clutch bad. Turbo went in and needed a clutch so I put in a ACT Xtreme. Then The tranny died from a factory defect (much like your 5th popout problem). It was stuck in reverse. I am up to 3 now. The replacment tranny was a piece of crap and grinded from the day I got it. It blew after a couple of months. I blew the next one within a couple of months after that one. Then my clutch disk fell apart. ACT said it was a defect and they replaced it free. Half of the friction material fell off of the clutch. That makes 6 times. This tranny is starting to grind 5th now. I am trying a new torque mount to prevent this. The salvage yard is Kicking them self in the ass for offering me the lifetime warrenty for 75$. Nowhere did it say that Modifing the car or racing voided it. It did not say anything about limit of replacments. I can change the tranny in less than a hour and a half. That includes getting the car jacked up, and cleaning up afterwards.

Danny

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
well, it turned out that the reason the timing went back to 8 degrees was because the distributor was loose...... I was pretty sure I had it tigtened down when I was setting the timing. As for the tranny the car only sees 11 psi once a week (maybe) most of the time I just keep it out of boost since gas isnt to cheap....

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
Enemy of the stupid
4,727 Posts
I don't know much about the 3rd gear problem. I can tell you what happend to my friends. He blew his up racing me
but then again maybe he just couldn't hang with that AWD street launch and said he broke 3rd gear :p j/k mike. His car only had the 370cc injectors,stock pump,Super AFC, stock MAF not alot of boost he was pushing 10psi on his T3/T4. It might be that the tranny had a rough life before the speed shifting and been raced around town ever time!!! YEAH I'M TALKING ABOUT THE WAY DRIVE AROUND TOWN TRYING TO RACE EVERY LIL RICE BOY YOU SEE
lol but I use to do that too.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey RacerX I know you see 11lb more than you say you do. I wont let that trash bag on the window fool me... :)

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
no, really I rarely need to put it up there.... I don't run into many people that wanna race a "Paseo" that has a trash bag for a window and a spare tire on it... also, I hope to get more miles out of my front tires than last time....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts