SR20 Forum banner

Nissan GT-R announcement

5K views 67 replies 41 participants last post by  nissandubai 
It's old news that the GTR is coming here. the only new news is that it'll be a Nissan. There was a LOT of debate within the company whether to call it a Nissan or Infiniti.

The powertrain specifics are not available, but the rumors have been from a 3.2L to 3.7L VQ twin turbo somewhere in the 450hp range. About 2-3 years ago, they were saying 400hp with a possible V8. Personally, I think it'll have about 500hp because of the Z06 and also the 911 twin turbo upping its hp to around 485. This past year, it seems to have solified into a twin turbo VQ, just the displacement is unknown. It'll have the ATTESA AWD of course.

As for price, I'd guess $80k.

ApacheXMD said:
For 60 Large, I hope it's better than a Vette.
For 80 Large, I hope it's better than a Z06.

But my guess would be that the z06 would still be king.
depends on what your definition of 'better' is. For straight line performance, I'm positive the Z06 would still rule; well, at least in trap speed. ET's might be similiar due to the AWD. But I DO expect the Skyline to be a much more refined car (i.e. interior, etc.). I also expect it to be easier to drive (handling) as I've read that the Z06 is a bit on the raw side.

I've always been under the impression that the 911 Turbo was the benchmark for the Skyline, and that's a $130k car. Both are very similiar in almost all specs (weight, power, both awd), except the Skyline should be about $50k cheaper :) Oh, and the I doubt the interior will be as luxurious as the 911 turbo, but far ahead of the Z06.

The 911 turbo is the supercar you can drive everyday; just as easy to drive in stop-go traffic as the open highway and very very nice interior. Skyline should be the same.

HkSBlueBird4u said:
your right its not a sport car. .. name top dawgs that are turbo to date from each company. an then explain why the skylines sales wont cause a riff in the sti ,evo battle...
It won't cause much of a change at all in STI or Evo sales because the Skyline will cost more than double the other two.

BRE92SER said:
My family owns a nissan delaer,needless to say I pay attention to whats going on worldwide with nissan.

that is all just speculation from the media.
Speculation, yes, but I'd say pretty well founded. We know it'll be AWD, it wouldn't be a GTR if it weren't. We pretty much know it'll be a twin turbo VQ as they've been racing a varient in JGTC/Super GT, or whatever the heck it's called, for the last 2-3 years. So that's 2-3 years of hard racing they've done for development, might as well use that knowledge.

The Z06 makes 500hp. The 911 Turbo 486hp (I think). Ferrari F430 makes like 480hp. The Skyline is suppose to compete with those cars, so it's HP will be in that range.

I'm guessing a weight around 3400lbs as that's around where the 911 Turbo weighs. Also, the R34 weighed in around 3500 or so. Well, it certainly won't be 3000 lbs like the Z06. Hard to do that with the AWD system.

I think a point needs to be made.... There is a very distinct difference between the normal 'Skylines' and the GT-R. Basically the same difference between a regular Lancer and an EVO. Everyone over here just automatically associates a Skyline with the GT-R.

That's why the G35 is known as the Skyline in Japan and why the upcoming GTR will be a Nissan, and not an Infiniti. The GTR, following the lineage of the R32, R33 and R34 GT-Rs, not the 'regular' Skyline like the G35, has too much racing heritage as a Nissan. Furthermore, the Infiniti brand is sporty luxury, not somewhat luxurious hard-core sports car as the GTR will be.

But of course, Toyota is making their super car a Lexus.... hmm..... Personally, I don't really care what the GTR will be called.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.