SR20 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, after the headache and **** with blowing a few exhaust valves and the long wait to getthe car back together, I would have to say it was all worthwhile to once again ride the bottle. I jus want to make a testimony on JWT kit! It is so so easy to use! Flip the switch, and after 4k rpm, the car just pulls like crazy. I don't recommend it but I was able to hit 110+ mph pretty easy on the back roads. A friend rode with me and he said easy low 13/high 12s (depending on driver of course!). The fuel pump was the main cause of engine failure. After our the test runs, we pulled over and checked out the plugs (NGK BKR7Es gapped @ .031). Look great! No signs of a lean mixture and detonation.

However I did notice that the exhaust sputters. I am suspecting the nitrous is melting the insides of my cat and clogging it. So I am going to either go w/ a high flow cat or just gut the hell out of my original one. Any ideas on what I should do? A quick question..is the 2" diameter of my Greddy exhaust a bit small for the nitrous. Jay Hassinger, Russel, Greg, Louis..what do you guys suggest?? I remember talking to Frank Orozco when he had his 100 shot kit in and how he wanted to go 2.5" for more flow. It would also help if you guys could tell me what size piping you guys use(d) with your nitrous kits.

Sorry for the long post..I jus wanted to comment and ask a couple questions.

TIA!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
damn .031? I used to run a .028 on my 50 shot, but I did run non platinum plugs b/c I was burning them out.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace,SMC BAKB, motul 600 brake fluid, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Jay recommended 2.5" for nitrous. I even think it helps out NA. The guys who have cams in the area and have 2.25" complain that the car seems a little choked up.

------------------
97 Super Black 200sx SE-R
Hotshot CAI, custom 2.5" catback with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot header, UR pulleys (2 set), JWT ECU, Stillen FSB, Courtesy RSB, V-Racing Buzz seat with custom seat bracket, JUN CAMS (264's 10.5mm lift)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does .031 seem that wide? My friend has a SE-R (50 shot Jim Wolf) with the same plugs but gaps them wider. Somewhere around .034-.035. Runs like a champ!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I was running a NOS kit, not the JWT, and that is one of the only ways I could keep it from detonation (hot as hell in TX)

·
Much love for the B-13
593 Posts
Hey CruznSER. I run a Greddy cat back and I fabed a test pipe out of 2-1/4" exhaust piping from discount. It changed the sound to the worse I think but it performs VERY good without the cat. Jay H. told me that the hotter EGT's in the NOS can melt a cat so I just ditched mine. My best 1/4 with the 100 shot is 13.82 @ 109.71. That is with a 2.4 60' on my 215/40/17 A520's. Off the bottle I spin the wheels at the top of 1st gear. I don't think my car is choked up at all. Ditch the cat if you do not have emissions tests in your area. Even if you do, get a test pipe made up and swap the cat back in for the test. But I never said any of that...

------------------
'96 SE-R No bolt unturned...
'92 E Lots of factory bolts still in place
'92 SE-R all stock with out a sunroof, just added to the family!

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
CruznSER, so after giving me such a hard time about my 370 cc inj being no good, and maybe my bored MAF setup being wrong, and maybe the computer having the wrong program, and maybe the 26 jets I sent you were bigger than 100 shot and after many telephone calls on telling you what to do you have finally came up with what the problem was. THE FUEL PUMP. I remember telling you before I sent you the NOS setup that you car had a fuel pump recall on it and you said you never took the car to have it changed. You also told me your car had 113,000 miles on it and I said that it was about time to change the pump anyways because it would have been to much load on the old pump. So after about $1,100 in motor and insalation and $150 for fuel pump you finally came to the conclusion that I was right. The money that you could have saved would have been about $950 to use on other things.

Sincerely yours ANDREAS MIKO

P.S. Next Time Listen To Someone Who Really Knows What They Are Talking About, Instead Of All The Guessers.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Yikes....Andreas is right, though. He should know more about the JWT setup that is allowed, from what I've read.

To answer your question...I use a stock-ish 2.25 exhaust setup on my car, with the cat still in place.

I have had plans to ditch the cat and go 2.5" all the way back, just to see what it would do under nitrous. Now, I think I have a reason to do that, with the replies above.

My '93 does feel a *bit* choked up with the 2.25 exhaust, I must add.

Spark plugs: On my engine (yours is probably different, so take this with a grain of salt), I use NGK BKR6E-11s, and have played with the gaps, going from .025 to .045 (on the suggestion of somebody on this forum, who shall remain nameless). .045 just didn't cut it on my engine, as it misfired, bucked and downright hated that gap. .030-.035 works best on my engine. Wider or narrower may work better on your setup. YMMV. This is the fun part of tuning, as long as nothing goes ... kabloom!

As for the fuel pump...it is the critical element in any nitrous setup, JWT or not. That's why I haven't taken my NOS wet setup beyond 75hp: I know the pump must be replaced in order to safely go there. Sure, it'd probably work for a little while...but then....kaboom!

Nitrous is all about fuel pressure. Fuel makes the power, not the nitrous.

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, a proud customer of Nitrous Oxide Systems, Inc., [email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

[This message has been edited by SERprise In WV (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Jah Rastafari
7,677 Posts
GO WITH A 2.5 INCH EXHAUST

·
Registered
782 Posts
The Topspeed/Courtesy B-Pipe is a very nice unit and will work great with the NOS kit! Or, you can just do a custom 2.5" exhuast! Your setup is good for some high 12 second passes! Good Luck!

------------------
http://www.sentra.net/solm/august01/louis.shtml

Louis Anaya

1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R

349.6 hp & 301.9 ft/lb

12.0 @ 118.77

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Andreas Miko:
GO WITH A 2.5 INCH EXHAUST</font>
Thanks again for the patience for the many calls!

With that said and done..I will go with the 2.5 for sure!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Russell:
Hey CruznSER. I run a Greddy cat back and I fabed a test pipe out of 2-1/4" exhaust piping from discount. It changed the sound to the worse I think but it performs VERY good without the cat. Jay H. told me that the hotter EGT's in the NOS can melt a cat so I just ditched mine. My best 1/4 with the 100 shot is 13.82 @ 109.71. That is with a 2.4 60' on my 215/40/17 A520's. Off the bottle I spin the wheels at the top of 1st gear. I don't think my car is choked up at all. Ditch the cat if you do not have emissions tests in your area. Even if you do, get a test pipe made up and swap the cat back in for the test. But I never said any of that...

</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">With the exhaust question taken care of...should the cat go byebye?? </font>
I need to learn how to use that scroll bar!!!

*Note* SCROLL up

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much less flow would I get if I just swapped out the B-pipe instead of swapping the full exhaust.

Looking at my stainless steel Greddy muffler makes me kinda pretentious about swapping it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts