SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Well I was bored this weekend and videotaped a NOS run (JWT 50shot) bottle pressure was kinda shitty tho.. 600psi.. I should have a bottle warmer soon (Bday present!). But anyway if you notice after the 2nd gear chirp at about 5.5k you hear a pop or something. It's definitely coming from the exhaust I think Let me know what you guys think

My buddy was driving so he didnt fully wind it out.

http://twinkie.ucdavis.edu/short.mov

Luis Molina
93 Classic 240,000 miles and 50shot ;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey Luis, I'm no guru but I'll take a stab at it.
Well assuming your bottle pressure was at 600psi(900+ is optimum) and you have the jwt system, you were probably running rich. I figured since the nitrous wasn't shooting as strong and jwt sets their fuel map for nitrous a bit on the rich side, you were probably dumping a lot of fuel. Maybe that's why it popped? Just guessing...

Well after hearing the clip, I'm really not sure. It kinda sounded wierd since the pop wasn't right after the shift, rather halfway through 2nd gear. The pop came from the exhaust, correct? Not from the intake? Now that I listen to it more, I'm just as confused as you are?

How do all your plugs look?

Fred
99 Sentra SE

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
Sup bro? Seems to me like you were running to rich. To much fuel. It could have been because your bottle PSI was so low. You got more fuel than juice. Like it was mentioned by Fred 900 PSI is great ( I have a little propane tourch so I run at 1000psi :p ) My car pops occassionaly but It does not bother me the car just keeps pulling. Rich is better than LEAN!!!!!! " all JUICE no BOOST! (I also love boost ;) )

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah.. I dont think it was detonation.. detonation on a 240k car would be pretty lethal hehe. I'm guessing it was either a little surge in the NOS supply due to low pressure or my car playing tricks on me. It definitely came from the exhaust.

Oh well.. I"ll have to try not to repeat it hehe.

·
G-unit
1,132 Posts
First off 600psi is a joke, I take that back it's not funny. I bet you dropped down to about 500psi when you 'hit'. Cold bottles = crappy. The engine probably backfired a little since it was running 'pig' rich. Now if you start hearing loud noises that shake the entire car, I'd get worried :eek:

·
Guanaco Tuner
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I wish I lived somewhere really hot sometimes.. nah nevermind I don't. It's ok, I'll run a mid to low 13 for you guys once the friggin warmer comes in. But for now I'll have to deal with crappy pressures.

Luis Molina
93 Classic 240k+ 152.3 hp

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Luis;

Get that bottle warmer, and get it fast. As everybody else said...you were rich, which isn't that big a deal (according to the sound of it), but it still needs to be addressed.

Until you get that bottle warmer...try leaving your bottle inside until you get in the car. Warmer IS better. 600psi is close to 1/2 the pressure you really need.

·
Registered
441 Posts
NX bottle heater plug

I highly suggest this unit. It is set based on the pressure of the bottle, not the temperature. It is a great investment.

bottlefedracing.com was where I purchased mine. It keeps the pressure in within the 900psi-1050psi range. Once pressure goes below 900, the heater activates and raises pressure until it reached 1050. A much better unit compared to the other thermostatically controlled units (NOS and ZEX).

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Luis what you need to do is get a 150 shot and advance the timing to 20 degrees and run 87octane. This should be a BLAST.
>HAHAHA< . Yah the nos made a nice improvement but more is better. My opinion ( i know it doesnt matter) rub the bottle really fast for about 30 minutes it should increase the pressure :>) i wish i could go wednesday to see you break into the 13's . If so you will be worthy then u know what me must do on 4.

Good Luck
Lawrence
92 se-r turbo
90 GSX

·
Registered
194 Posts
i agree with above, the nitrous express bottle heater is alot better. it has device that hooks to the end of the bottle that constantly measures bottle pressure, not bottle temperature. i've noticed that when my bottle is full, the bottle feels luke warm, but when my bottle is near empty, the bottle is definitely warmer.

i also agree that you're running rich. the JWT program once it switched on doesn't figure how much pressure you're running. it assumes you're running 900+ psi and adds the appropriate amount of fuel. at 900 psi, it runs alittle rich, imagine how rich it's running at only 600 psi!!

also, i tried a few runs where i took off my muffler altogether, and i noticed i would get a pop in the exhaust from the 1-2 shift. probably not related to your pop though.

·
Registered
858 Posts
that's the same pressure I had and ran a 14.2 @99mph also heard pops during the runs. I bought my heater and also the blanket to keep the heat in so it dosen't have to keep turning on and off. the blanket is like 25 bucks from summit and looks cool too.Hope to see high 13's soon.

·
GUPAMF 4 Life
1,240 Posts
Hey Chris, how is the bottle warmer working out? If you need help cleaning up the wiring, let me know. I'm free this weekend. I'm redoing my brakes.

Terrin
92 SE-R

1 - 13 of 13 Posts