SR20 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, how beneficial is nitrous? Does it add wear and tear to my motor and do I have to reprogram the computer?
Speed makes one greedy. I want more, nitrous sounds like fun.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I call nitrous liquid turbo. cheaper but can be devastating if you lean out.I know of a few who have dry set ups on se-r's even a maxima I even seen it on Bikes.My neighbor was in wwII and said we used it on our fighters for dog fighting back then. but stock timing is crucial(safer) or just get a JW nos kit which works with the cars ecu. the safest way to go.

·
Registered
858 Posts
oops didn't answer your question. you don't have to reprogram the ecu unless you want JW nos program in there.wear and tear? I guess since the engine is working harder at squeeze(liquid boost hehe).but synthetic oil is good enough. nothing lasts forever.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am running a 75 shot but i didnt think the original motor could take any more (170k) so i bought a really clean and perfect condition primera 10:1 motor (25k). i think a 50 shot will not ruin your engine but like a 100 shot or more could definetly do some damage if your motor isnt built up for it. im gonna start fresh on a motor that can handle what im gonna give, and no sexual inuendo's,

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well Frank ran a 75 shot for something like 25,000 miles on like a 50,000+ motor. Then he swaped to a 100 shot after that and ran with it for something like 60,000(correct me if Im wrong, i know he ran for like forever on both of them). He squeezed often and alot. Finaly his motor decided it wanted to breathe....so hole in side of block. But he ran it forever it seemed on an old engine. You have to be smart and stuff. Personaly i dont see why anyone would want to "cheat"

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I don't call using nitrous cheating, I think its pretty smart if you want to go fast on a budget.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
Registered
513 Posts
Honestly, the se-r can take a decent amount of nitrous without a problem. It has one of the strongest bottom ends for a 4 banger.

Here's an example of what some people have done with it:

http://www.cnw.com/~redline/Sentra.htm

I don't think you'd need to worry about anything. But I would recommend the JWT reprogramming for the ecu. I'm pretty sure that's what Jay Hass ran.....

As a side note, this is my 100th post

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

[This message has been edited by kpw97 (edited 06-08-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet, thanx for the info. I'll probably go with 50 shot. Who makes the best system? Can I install it myself?

------------------
No, it's not just a Sentra. If you get scared, sit on your hands and close your eyes.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I like JW nos program or zex. zex is about 550 bucks not bad.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you want a small kick in the butt try a 50 shot fogger. But for a whole lotta fun I'd recommend a direct port 100 shot.

You can go as simple as a button to activate that you control manually, or as complicated as RPM switches that activate at a designated RPM and shut it off before redline.

As with anything in racing..."How much money do you have?"

Remember, spend good money once and you probably won't have to spend it again. Buy the good stuff, even if it means waiting for awhile.

Just my $0.02,
Ryan
Newsed B13 w/ Hotshot Gen. 4, s/s, AGX/GC/Potenza RE730's going on tonight....WOO-HOO!!!

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
1. Nitrous oxide isn't cheating. It performs basically the same function as a turbo/supercharger (cooler, denser mixture plus added fuel) chemically. As you do down the track in front of the Mustang, it doesn't really matter how you do it...
2. I've been using nitrous for the last year, and didn't begine using it until the engine in my '93 had 146,000 miles on it. I use a wet manifold, single fogger, 50-shot. New direct port just went in, and we're sorting it out.
3. Get a clutch that can handle it first. A stock clutch will fry very quickly.
4. Be smart. Nitrous doesn't make power, the fuel does. If ever in doubt, call the Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS) tech line for help (if you go with their system). Those folks are there for a reason.
5. Ditch your platinum spark plugs. NGK BKR 6E-11s will do nicely. Gap 'em down at about .030 to start with.
6. A 50-shot will do more for a SR20 than you think. Start there, learn as much as you can about nitrous, then proceed slowly.
7. Just my .02.

------------------
Greg P., '93 SE-R w/
148,000 miles, JWT
pop, header, ProActive
clutch, ST bar, NOS
50--shot (direct port
installed, yet to run), Autopower 4-point roll bar/harnesses.
[email protected] 1/4
mile, [email protected] 1/8
mile, 2.05 60-ft.
http://www.geocities.com/herdinsider/serpage.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everybody for the input. I have the original clutch (138k). It's in good shape, but I keep hearing that I'll just toast it with Nitrous. What's a decent clutch to put in?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd say the ACT street/strip is the way to go. I'll prolly be getting one of those myself, in due time.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
As for the stock clutch, YES, you'll fry it almost immediately (especially at 138k). Mine made it about three passes (without nitrous) at 146k. Get the clutch first.
I use a clutch by a company called ProActive. Another racer put me on to them, and he ordered the clutch for me. It was about $300 with pressure plate, and can take up to 100hp over stock.
I've made about 85 5,500rpm launches on it, and it has worked flawlessly. No signs of slipping yet. It appears to be very tough.
It's also very smooth on the street.
Also...check your axles out, too. The added stress from nitrous will wear them out quickly, too, if they're about shot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you SERprise. I actually just replaced the axles this spring. The Proactive sounds good. I totally need something that is street-worthy, that is where most of my driving will be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts