SR20 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How bad do you think it is to run without the 02 sensor. I couldn't get mine off and it's completely fouled. So, I've been running without it until I can bring it in. It'll just run rich right????

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
yeah you can still drive with a fouled o2 sensor but you will be running rich. but you can get idle hunting and flat spots in performance and some other symptoms. but i would try to get it fixed as soon as possible.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
bad bad bad!!!!!

:eek:

Get it fixed fast.!!!

Treat your car right. The SR20 is a sensitive machine. :cool:

·
jo mom
502 Posts
are you hitting it with penetrating fluid every day.. just like brushing your teeth... don't give up..

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been hitting it with penetrating fluid each day. I don't know how good my mileage is, but my car seems to run MUCH stronger and smoother than it did with the O2 connected.

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
I remember someone posted before that he put a spark plug in the place of the O2 sensor and got better milage. :confused: Anyone remember that?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that's what made me think of it. I was like, well, my car is probably running pretty lean, with poor mpg, and does not feel healthy. That guy had done it for awhile with no problem. So, why not run the car a little rich for a few days so as to not damage the motor. I think that guy was on the main list, IIRC.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Well running rich isnt horrible for the motor, it is horrible for the cat tho. Its the fastest way to burn up a cat. So instead of trying to fix it for the 100 or so dollars for a new 02 or other issues that could be up, you end up spending that much or more on a new cat, and possibly multiple new cats. Not to mention the excess polution you are causing...while im not a tree hugger i dont see the point in defeating emssions equipment for no good reason. Plus I will garentee the car will run better if its in tune totaly

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm by no means advocating doing this regularly. I'm just doing it untill I can get away from work to get everything fixed. I have a headbolt busted and need a new O2 (i think). So, why not run on standard fuel maps for a bit?

·
jo mom
502 Posts
kpw97 said:
I'm by no means advocating doing this regularly. I'm just doing it untill I can get away from work to get everything fixed. I have a headbolt busted and need a new O2 (i think). So, why not run on standard fuel maps for a bit?
get the o2 yet? you broke a header nut.. hope not the stud.. i've been spraying my back brake bolts and header bolts for a few days now.. then comes the propane torch and taps with the hammer... i will get them.. i am relentless.. for some reason the o2 turned real easily.. i used the special socket on my shortest wrench for that..

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had broken a stud and left some in the block. I've decided that this may have contributed to my O2 problems. The car is going to get looked at in an hour or so. Hopefully I can get both done in one single swoop.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On a side note, FWIW, I got 27 mpg on the mostly highway driving the other day. I'd say I put 30 miles worth of non highway. I guess that's decent. Doesn't compare to the 36 mpg I used to get with pretty much all highway. Although it was snowing on the way home, so I wasn't at a consistant speed all the time.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
Did you get that blasted head stud out? I did the same thing, and it's still stuck. A guy at work has this funky Blue Point tool for pulling out studs, but I'm so skeptical about drilling into my SR20. Persistent lubing and that tool plus some patince should do the trick, right?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the busted stud and O2 are getting fixed as we speak. The guy said they are removing the header, drilling out the bolt, and using a helicoil. Then they're gonna replace the gaskets because they're all burnt out. The O2 sensor will be replaced while the header is out of the car. Total comes to about $290:eek:

What could I say though? This needs to get done. I don't trust myself to do it and I'm so tired of my car running shitty. I want my old SR20 power back! Plus I still need to pass emissions ;) Hopefully doing this and replacing the vacuum hoses will fix all of my problems. Let's all cross our fingers!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, just got home after picking up the car. It definitely feels better. The mechanic showed me the old gasket. It was leaking in 5 places!! So, that's all taken care of. I still have the problem of the rpm's diving when I come to a stop. Time to address that problem next! I think it's a vacuum related problem. Although, my throttle response seems a little off, compared to how the car felt with the O2 disconnected. Maybe I'll reground my MAF while I'm playing car doctor.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts