SR20 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I'm having an oil issue in my '91 Aussie N14 Pulsae Ti (SR20DE) - there is no oil getting through to the exhaust cam oiler tube, either on cranking or running the car for short bursts (valve cover off, manually spraying oil on cams). The intake oiler is working normally. I've cleaned out both cam oilers. The oil pressure was normal before it started squealing terribly (I was in my driveway luckily and shut it right off).
Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone!
I'm having an oil issue in my '91 Aussie N14 Pulsae Ti (SR20DE) - there is no oil getting through to the exhaust cam oiler tube, either on cranking or running the car for short bursts (valve cover off, manually spraying oil on cams). The intake oiler is working normally. I've cleaned out both cam oilers. The oil pressure was normal before it started squealing terribly (I was in my driveway luckily and shut it right off).
Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
I'm also having same issue

·
Registered
SR20DE stock G20 p10 highport
101 Posts
Do you know why it started squealing? Does the head have a lot of baked on sludge, black muck? If so, that might suggest an oil galley that supplies the cam oiler could be blocked by sludge.
What had you removed previously, just the valve cover and oiler tubes? Did you do anything to the oil pump? Had the engine run dry (no oil) at all?
Watch some videos on sounds of a failing oil pump, and see if it was like the noise you heard. I have read that if the pump starts to whine or growl, it will be failing very soon.
Assuming your oil pump is fine and timing chain tensioner hasn't failed (no chain slap on the valve cover), it's likely due to oil delivery being blocked, either in the oiler tube or in the oil galley that feeds the oiler. (If the engine will run and the oil squirts out properly onto the exhaust cam, that means oil is traveling up to the tensioner and as high as the Intake cam oiler tube.)
How did you clean your oiler tubes?
I cleaned mine, too. I took them off, taped over the tiny holes (clear packaging tape), and sprayed carburator cleaner into the supply hole, put a small sandwich bag over the supply hole, and set them upright (vertical) between two 6 x 6 posts. I left them to soak for two or three days. I gradually removed the tape (uppermost first, working my way to the lowest set of holes) and blew into the supply hole on order to verify the liquid would pass through the holes under pressure. I sprayed carb cleaner into the tube sevral tims and blew into it several times using sewing needle to pick lightly at the holes to clear any gunk that appeared to be blocking the tiny hole(s).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts