SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been having a monster truck tire sound from the front end of my car for a while now. Two shops that I took it to diagnosed it as the passenger side wheel bearing. When the car is up on the rack it will still make the sound. It's not affected by engine RPM or the clutch. Starts up around 35mph+, and goes silent when I make an aggressive right turn.

That should point to a passenger side wheel bearing, correct? I had a new one pressed in and that didn't fix it, thought perhaps it was done wrong, so ordered a "new" junkyard spindle and just put that on. Well the noise is still there, may have quieted down a tad, but still there for sure. This is starting to get pricey, so if anyone has any ideas I could sure use them.

The only other thing that I was thinking might cause it is the torque on the axle nut. I pretty much just stood on the 2' 3/4" breaker bar, supposed to be torqued around 180ft/lbs I think. Would a small variation of torque spec cause this? Maybe it could be the driver side bearing, but wouldn't the fact that it goes silent on a right turn say otherwise? TIA

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
The only other thing that I was thinking might cause it is the torque on the axle nut. I pretty much just stood on the 2' 3/4" breaker bar, supposed to be torqued around 180ft/lbs I think. Would a small variation of torque spec cause this?
No. Spec is something like 100-200 ft. lbs IIRC.

Maybe it could be the driver side bearing, but wouldn't the fact that it goes silent on a right turn say otherwise?
No, it's the driver's side. The right turn puts more compressive force on the drivers side bearing limiting play, stopping the noise.

·
agent camel toe
9,396 Posts
have u tried swapping out the axle?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think Setzer has to be right. Even though every article/post I've seen says the opposite that makes sense, especially since it makes the noise on the rack. I ordered a "new" driver side spindle, will install later this week. If that doesn't work then I'll try an axle, but it should. Thanks!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turns out it was in fact the driver side. When I pulled the old spindle assembly off the hub fell out of it. So it was REALLY worn. Thanks all for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts