SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the boards and haven't been able to find an answer, so I'm hoping someone knows.
I want to get new brakes for my 91 SE-R, and was wondering what is the best combination of performance/cost. I don't want to do a NX up-grade because I've read that you have to grind parts down, some people say the pedal pressure is different, I don't race, etc, etc.
I'm going to have a friend help me change them in about 2 weeks, so any information would be appreciated.
Also, this may sound dumb, but do I need to change all the parts at the same time, ie pads, calipers, pistons, or just the pads?
Thanks

G

·
If you do not race then stock brakes will do just fine. The only time the NX brakes need any kind of modification is when being used with the stock Sentra SE-R wheels. It is also recomended that you break in your new pads with old rotors and new rotor with old pads. Just get all stock parts and some good fluid and you will be fine.

------------------
MarC
http://members.home.net/mnmanderson/Publish/
AIM SER96MarC

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.
Now, should I but the parts from Nissan, or can I replace them with parts from carparts.com or autozone? Also, how much should i expect to pay? I want to do all four brakes and I have ABS.
Thanks again

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
and don't forget your break hardware too. DO NOT get the Key Value stuff either, get the real oem pads. those will not squeal at all with good hardware on them. I would just do the rotors, pads, hardware and bleed and refill the whole system with new fluid, maybe even a good fluid like some AP 500 or 550.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help,
I read in previous post that the best brake fluid was one from Ford. I forget what the name was, but I could find it in previous post. Do you guys agree?
I will call Nissan and ask how much for pads and post the price just in case anyone is interested.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Dart:
The Ford fluid is pretty decent stuff and cheap too. I used to use it for track schools, but I've switched to Motul 600.

The most important thing is to get some decent pads. Nissan pads are good, but others say MetalMasters are better, and they are pretty much the same price. Stay away from the generic Autozone/Pep Boys/Advance pads. There's a reason they are $15/set. Also, stay away from the VGX Phantom pad. I cannot express to you how bad those pads suck. I'm suprised really that they haven't been recalled for being dangerous. They fade after 1 decent stop.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yea Im running stock nissan pads up from, advanced wagner pads in back(cheap they do very little anyway) and the castrol syntechic fluid. Its great stuff. Has a really high boiling point for as cheap as it is. For daily driving and probaly light track duty it will last. And for 5 bucks a QUART its dirt cheap. Im about to replace mine just because it is so cheap. Peddal getting a little mushy, could probaly be fixed with a simple bleeding but why not change the fluid as it is so cheap.

------------------
Thats my opinion and I could be wrong

93 classic
Aztec Red, Automatic, POP, STB, OEC battery tie down, AD22VF's, Pirelli P4000's

·
Registered
513 Posts
I was just looking on carparts.com, what is the difference between the caliper assembly for a US made SE-R and and Japanese made SE-R?

------------------
Kevin
93 Classic
Bone Stock

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Japanese made SE-Rs have the AD22VF big brakes from the NX2000. US made SE-Rs have the weenie brakes.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Front pads are about right. Those rears are way overpriced. They do so very little, go to advanced and pick up a set of wagner pads. The rears are like 15 bucks. Dont forget a little antizeze on the backing to keep them quiet, and grease the pins before you bolt them back up.

·
Registered
513 Posts
....Japanese made SE-Rs have the AD22VF big brakes from the NX2000. US made SE-Rs have the weenie brakes.....

So, if I bought the japanese brake kit from carparts, that would be the equivalent to the nx-upgrade, correct?

Also, I highly recommend the Metal Masters, I bought them from www.philsinc.com for 34.48, for the fronts. Not brake dust, feels like they grab better, and supposedly last 4 times longer.

Just my $.02

------------------
Kevin
93 Classic
Bone Stock

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All right, so I checked for the price on OEM pads from the Nissan Dealer. They quoted me $37.50 for the front pads and rear pads, so total would be around $80. Does this sound right?
This is from Infinity of Scotsdale in Arizona. I know, they are far, but every time I've delt with them, they help me quickly and efficeintly, and they give a discount because of se-r.net.

·
Registered
705 Posts
FYI Im happy wiht my EBC Green pads, but they are very dusty!!

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Greddy cat-back, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

G

·
hey all, there seems to be a difference in the diameters of the US spec and the Japanese Spec NX2K's.....the J specs have a larger diameter rotor as well...it seems that carparts.com has different rotors, but I was told all is same?!?!?! so what gives...if all is same, then why the bigger rear rotors???? I think it was 238mm and 254 mm OD......does anyone know for sure???

also, just did the NX2K upgrade.....these things bite like a shark!!! great stopping power, and the Stainless Steel lines take up alot of the peddle mush.............so the mushiness is not as evident, and I am thinking that a slight adjustment to the pedal will cure that after I get a set of new pads for the rears........

I love my new brakes!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I drive my '94 SE-R strictly on the streets (no organized racing) and I generally use the cheapest pads available. My theory is I'd rather replace brake pads every 25K miles than rotors. Fade is rarely an issue for me and I have the original front rotors after 174,000 miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts