SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I love my 92' se-r so much that I'm willing to put money in her. My problem is I'm a noob and this mechanic wants to charge me 285 US dollars for a pipe he calls a flex pipe, down pipe because it is in bad shape, and this price doesn't include the header either. What exactly is that pipe that comes off the header called? He said I have an aftermarket header on it already and that the muffler is in good shape. Why does he want me to pay 285 for it? Heck for that price I may as well get performance something.

I feel he's taking me to the bank and really need some help. Thank you for any responses and a big hello to everyone. :)

·
the original 4-door SR20
590 Posts
Tell you mechanic he is smoking crack. You can get a brand new Pacesetter or OBX header (which comes with the flex pipe) for under that price. Just do a search and you should be fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jamse-r said:
Tell you mechanic he is smoking crack. You can get a brand new Pacesetter or OBX header (which comes with the flex pipe) for under that price. Just do a search and you should be fine.
How are these ones? That don't look like a flex pipe. I mean it don't look like it flexes. If this is cool I'm doing it I think. :cool: http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/pas701284.html

·
Wants Primera Race Motor
2,390 Posts
you dont always need a flex pipe.. i dont have one and i have no leaks.
after the 2nd flex pipe went bad, i just had the shop put a pipe in.

·
Baby Blue VVL
3,202 Posts
I gained 9whp with a pacesetter header that had a leak from the primary to the secondary. I bought mine for $150 shipped, I stripped the cheap paint that was on it and I coated it with High temp (cheap) Grill paint. It doesn't have a flex pipe but it will still bolt up nicely.

O

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I think I'm understanding you guys. If I buy the header from the link I posted(pacesetter) then how do I get the pipe that goes from that to the cat? I just don't know what it's called. I'm talking about a non-flex one since it seems by the responses here that I don't need one.

·
SR20VE or a T28? I dunno!
1,664 Posts
The pacesetter or any aftermarket header will provide you with everything you need from the exhaust ports or the catalytic converter. I think you are talking about the downpipe right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
"I think you are talking about the downpipe right?"

Yeah, if a down pipe is what comes with the header then yes. I always thought a down pipe was associated with turbo usage. But I don't know. That machanic just messed with my mind. I'm picking up the car tomorrow and taking it to a new shop. I'm gonna have the parts shipped to my house then just have him put them on.

I bought the Pacesetter header for 164. I feel comfortable now it will come with what I need. Thanks fellas and nice to meet you all. :)

·
Enjoy the GTR Matt!
3,716 Posts
if you just need a flexpipe, order one from JCwhitney, take it to a muffler shop or welding shop, and have them cut and weld it up. Shouldn't cost that much..

If you are willing to pay that kind of money, then just get yourself a new set of headers and be done with it.

I'd ask him how much to install it before you do that, if he wanted $285 for just a flexpipe, he might want $500 to install the headers! (all the extra work to remove the exhaust manifold nuts is expensive!)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rob--I am getting the car out of his garage tomorrow. I only gave him the ok to fix a windshield wiper problem. He got the message I wanted to not have the repairs done, then he called and tried to talk me into it. I was thinking STFU and told him it was all going to cost too much. My buddy suggested a lagit machanic to me and I spoke with him already and he laughed about the other machanic.

·
Registered
655 Posts
My friend only charged me 40 bux to install my headers, he really didnt do a good job but he managed to remove the old rusty exhaust. I would recomend the obx because it does give noticeable gains does tend to alst prety well. it has a raspy noise and mine has been getting loose every week. for 150 what u expect

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
I had a similar experience as the noob. When I was 19, I bought a 1991 SE-R with a really bad flex pipe - took it to Nissan for inspection and they said it would cost $500 to replace the flex pipe. I laughed and said no thanks.

Bought a Hotshot Header for $350 at the time, problem solved PLUS I gained a nice amount of power. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Man I am glad I posted here. I got the pacesetter on the way and I stopped myself from being ripped off, well somewhat.

Do you guys know that little white piece of plastic right where the two rods connect? From the wiper motor to the rod that moves the wipers? Well he bought that for 15 bucks and then inspected my car and gave me a fault list. Now I don't doubt that these things are wrong keep in mind. He just inflates when major repairs take place. Anyways all rotors are bad and all brake pads. Just to fix that he wanted 500 to 540. So that plus weld the header and sell me the FLEX PIPE(the magically expensive one) would run me 1200 dollars. Well you all know what I did but he called back and said my wipers were done. I was like cool. I mean how much could that cost..try 145 bucks what? :eek: :mad:

This is the kind of stuff that will drive me to learn how to work on cars myself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now I'm a little worried that the gaskets will leak since I hear they are cheap. What should a noob like me use for gaskets when I go to get the header put on? I really hate to go back in a short time to replace them. Any suggestions?

·
Wants Primera Race Motor
2,390 Posts
just use the one that came w/ the header or get a new oem one..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts