SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting varied responses about this. Some say the stock SE-R wheels will not clear, some say they will. Where do they rub? Since the stock NX2K wheels are 14" in diameter like the SE-R, I can't see why the diameter is a problem. Is it that the SE-R wheels are only 5.5" wide? They must rub on the side then. Will spacers fix this problem? Do I need to grind some off the calipers. Where? Will aftermarket 14X6 wheels with 35mm offset clear OK?

Sorry if this has already been beat to death before.

Thanks,
Matt

G

·
I dont know about the aftermarket wheels (you will just have to try I guess) but, the SE-R wheels will NOT fit. This is easy to fix though. You can either grind a bit off the caliper or stick a spacer in there.

------------------
MarC
96 w/ no turbo
AIM SER96MarC

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Here's a post I made to the SE-R mailing list in August, some prices may have changed. I got the Wagner rebuilt calipers, which are fully loaded (caliper, mounting bracket, pads, all hardware). You WILL be impressed with them.

CarParts.com took about 6 weeks to get the rotors out, so I bought Brembo (non slotted or drilled) rotors from Stranoparts.com for $50 each.

As far as fitment, I'm running stock 14" wheels on my 92 SE-R, some quality time with a Dremel to grind down the outside edge of the caliper, and to trim the backing plate was all that was needed. Paint the calipers with some nice Guard Red Testors model paint ($2 or $3 per bottle, get two), and you'll be all set.

+++++++++++++++++++++
I'm in the middle of this right now; here's what I'm doing.

I got Wagner loaded calipers from Carparts.com, L126785 (right side), and
L126784 (left side). As far as calipers go, they have EVERYTHING you need,
including caliper, pins, clips, brake pads, bleed screws, and the all
important torque members. You'll find positive comments on these loaded
calipers in the archives.

As for the rotors, I found little archive material regarding them. I ordered
Beck Arnley 083-2474.

The calipers have arrived, they are beauties, and they weigh a TON! The
rotors are on backorder, so I can't comment on them.

Here's the kicker, the calipers cost $45.45, rotors were $71.04. Go to
www.importhookup.com for Carparts coupons. Use the $50 off of a $100 order
coupons. Place two separate orders, each for one caliper and one rotor
($45.45 + $71.04 - $50), shipping cost me $13.38 per order. By splitting the
orders, and using two $50 coupons, my total price came to about $160.

I'm running stock wheels, so I expect to have to grind the calipers to fit
them. On an interesting side note, I've read a few e-mails from guys using
Testor's model paint to paint their calipers.

I spent some time going through Carparts' and other vendors websites, and
the SE-R archives, and came up with the following part numbers and prices.
Since I've only gotten the calipers so far, you should verify all these
other numbers for yourself.

Rotors:
BENDIX 141794 $70.54
RAYBESTOS 96280 $66.54
DELCO/DURASTOP 18A517 $61.79

CALIPERS:
WAGNER F LEFT L126784 $52.12 (12/18/00 PRICE)
WAGNER F RIGHT L126785 $52.12(12/18/00 PRICE)
CARDONE F LEFT 17-1441 $45.45
CARDONE F RIGHT 17-1440 $45.45
RAYBESTOS F LEFT RC10156 $55.44
RAYBESTOS F RIGHT RC10155 $55.44
AUTO SPECIALTY F LEFT 40-51090 $48.78
AUTO SPECIALTY F RIGHT 40-51089 $48.78

Hope this helps.

Chris Scarpulla
92 SE-R

G

·
That is a great post! I remember it from the list but I just want to let you know. Thanks

------------------
MarC
96 w/ no turbo
AIM SER96MarC

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is fantastic info. Thanks! Mmmm...big brakes for $160....

Matt
soon to be stopping quickly on a track near me....

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys. I wish more people realised how inexpensively this can be done. This is one of the best low buck mods I've done to my car. Come to think of it, all my mods are low buck!

Chris Scarpulla
92 SE-R
HS CAI, HP STB, NX2000 Brakes, Short Shifter,
ES Motor Mounts

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
They will fit with a little grinding. I had to grind to get them to fit behind the stock wheels. its because they are narrow rims and the "fingers" of the rim curve in more than the NX2K rims.

ok its pretty easy to do. if you test fit you will see where they rub(err block) the rim. its the front face, the part you look at if you look at the directly from the side. take them to a bench grinder and take off i would say 1/8" of metal. to the point its almot flat on the surface cause it has a bit of a curve to it stock. its not that hard just time consumeing the first time. just keep test fitting and grinding, then the other side will go much quicker since you know about where and how much to grind. its 10x easier with a bench grinder, i started with a drill but that was horrible. its do able just be prepared to take a couple hours if not half the day if you have never done it and have to take the wheel on and off 100 times like i did, you get really good at pulling the calp on and off.

other option is get some aftermarket rims, or better yet a set of b14 rims cause they look bad ass on the car

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks huys, that's the info I was looking for. One more thing. Besides off of an NX2K, where can I get the caliper mounting braket from? They don't come on loaded calipers at Pep Boys like I was led to believe.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Hey Chris, what did you do about the core charge? Suck it up or return your SE-R calipers hoping they wouldn't notice?

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
I just returned my old cores.

Chris Scarpulla

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about the master cylinder? Did you change that? What is the word on the street about it? Worth it or not?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Shweet! Using the 33% discount from www.importhookup.com, calipers + the core charge comes to $133.99. So does that mean when I return my SE-R calipers that I will get the core charge refunded (meaning I'm going to end up paying $33.99 for two NX2000 calipers)??

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:
How about the master cylinder? Did you change that? What is the word on the street about it? Worth it or not?
</font>
The word on the street is that keeping the SE-R master cylinder should be OK.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
Pat,

There's no discount on the core charge, so;
2 calipers @ $52.12 = $104.24
33% discount = $34.40
Total = $69.84 ($34.92 each)

What are you doing for rotors? Also, be aware, I believe there's a max saving of $100 per person.

Somebody recently posted a message (maybe on the SE-R mailing list?) about rebuilding their rear calipers. You may want to order those parts, a set of good rear pads, and fluid while your at it - take advantage of that coupon!

Chris Scarpulla

·
Registered
254 Posts
Steve at SMC said:

1. The SE-R/200SX master cylinder is fine. It will give a little more front brake bias - fine for the street. (approx. 75f/25r)

2. Going to the Altima/NX2000 master cylinder will give more rear brake bias(more like original OE setup). Many racers prefer the extra rear bias.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chriscar:
Pat,

There's no discount on the core charge, so;
2 calipers @ $52.12 = $104.24
33% discount = $34.40
Total = $69.84 ($34.92 each)

What are you doing for rotors? Also, be aware, I believe there's a max saving of $100 per person.
</font>
I did the ordering online, and the 33% discount was given for the whole order. Calipers + core charges = $204.24 - 33% discount = $133.99 (includes shipping).

I was gonna get Brembo rotors, MetalMaster pads, and Porterfield R4 pads for the track.

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
You go Pat! Good for you, you're going to like those brakes.

Chris Scarpulla

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So Pat, if I understand this correctly, you just bought those caliplers with the 33% discount for $133. You'll return the cores for a $100 discount and end up paying a whopping $33 for 2 loaded NX2K calipers? Is that right?

If so, I'm calling today to get those.

Matt

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
Just to share some info. I bought some used NX2K calipers for $80 complete and stripped tham and had them powder coated! Was a pretty cheap alternative since I had no cores and they look good. The entire caliper assembly with the re-build kit, powder coating and calipers ran me about $160. Anyways here's a pic. Oh and you can also check the SMC NX2K x-drilled rotors!

Here's what the calipers looked like when I got them! They look much better now

late,
wes

www.wes.nissanpower.com

[This message has been edited by wes (edited 12-20-2000).]

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:
So Pat, if I understand this correctly, you just bought those caliplers with the 33% discount for $133. You'll return the cores for a $100 discount and end up paying a whopping $33 for 2 loaded NX2K calipers? Is that right?

If so, I'm calling today to get those.

Matt
</font>
Provided they will accept my SE-R calipers in exchange for refunding the core charge, I guess that's the way it will work out.

Even if I have to suck up the core charge, $133.99 for two calipers doesn't seem too bad. I think SE-R brakes are considered upgrades for GA16 cars, so I could probably sell the old calipers on sentra.net or something like that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts