SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share some pics of my NX2000 brakes. FYI I picked up a set of NX calipers form a bone yard, stripped them and had them powdercoated to match the red AGX and Eibach suspension parts. I chose SMC rotors and VGX pads. I did want to know if anyone else had the VGX pads and how they liked them? And once they get broken in are the as dusty as they are when you start to break them in? Also I have a 200SX SE so for those of you who thought your stock SE-R brakes were bad, compare them to the stock SE brakes.

late,
wes

www.wes.nissanpower.com

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
Nice rims, what are they? (size,model,etc.)

-saaby

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Those would be 17" Konig Tantrums I believe.

Wes, hows the braking power?

------------------
Jordan (Stormy)
Black 1998 Sentra SE w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, Custom 2.25" Exhaust, JWT S4 Cams, UR Pulleys (NI), KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES control arm bushings & shifter bushing (NI), PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 205/50 Pirelli's, Nis-Knacks goodies

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Storm88000:
Those would be 17" Konig Tantrums I believe.</font>
You are WRONG Storm, those are Konig Villans...or how ever funky way you spell em. A buddy of mines has them on his 300ZX. They look awesome.

------------------
Peter M.
AIM=NyceP26
97 200SX SER....now with HS Gen 4 Headers

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wes:
I did want to know if anyone else had the VGX pads and how they liked them? And once they get broken in are the as dusty as they are when you start to break them in</font>
Hey Wes,

I have a set of VGX pads on my 200SX SER. With the later aquire of my MOtegi Wheels in Gunmetal I can't say I notice severe brake dust. Even on my stock SER wheels I didn't notice anything that bad and I was a regular highway driver. So in all I would say they aren't that bad from what I have notice. Now ask me that question with the gunmetal wheels and I won't know what to tell ya.

------------------
Peter M.
AIM=NyceP26
97 200SX SER....now with HS Gen 4 Headers

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments/replies. They are Konig Villians that I had powdercoated. They are 17 x 7. Breaking power is good but with the SMC rotors they recommend a 200-300 mile break in before you start binding them up. I can tell a difference already though! And I can;t wait to try them out on the auto-x course!

late,
wes

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, I can't wait to get my smc rotors either to try them out.
I will see them on wed or thursday.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I chose SMC rotors and VGX pads. </font>
I know 4 people (1 BMW, 3 VW drivers) that have used these VGX pads. I hope you have better luck than they did. They fade after 1 decent stop. The BMW driver got them to fade on a 40 second autocross course. One of the VW drivers took them to a road course (Roebling Road near Savannah GA) and caught them on FIRE!! RR is so easy on brakes, I can use balsa wood to stop my car there.

Use with caution...

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

[This message has been edited by MaddMatt (edited 06-21-2001).]

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey Wes! nice job on that upgrade. I'd like to know if the powder coat is holding up okay from the heat produced by braking. I haven't powder-coated my calipers because I thought the high heat would re-melt the powder and ruin the appearance.

·
Registered
420 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by norurb:
Hey Wes! nice job on that upgrade. I'd like to know if the powder coat is holding up okay from the heat produced by braking. I haven't powder-coated my calipers because I thought the high heat would re-melt the powder and ruin the appearance.</font>
You can go to AutoZone or Walmart even and pick up a can of the high temperature paint, and it does just fine. No melting or anything.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, I'm doing something different. I just polished my AD22VF's (cast iron) to a high luster. Looks almost as good as polished aluminum. I'm either going to do a clear high luster powder coat or chrome plating. It all depends on whether or not the powder coat will withstand the heat from regular street use. Anybody know the typical temperature range in Fahrenheit? I'll have pics tomorrow so you can see.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here is a pic of my original unpolished AD18's:

And this is a polished AD22VF, still need to finish up with buffing wheels and various stages of compounds:

How does it look? ricey? hope not.

[This message has been edited by norurb (edited 06-28-2001).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts