SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
BOOST OR GO HOME!!!!!
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I WAS THINKING THAT I JUST WANT TWELVES SHOULD I GO FOR THE DET SWAP OR HIT THE NOS? I HAVE A NOS KIT ALREADY. BUT WILL IT GET ME IN THE TWELVES? IF I DO GO NOS WHAT ELSE I NEED I HAVE SUSPESION, RIMS, TIRES, I HAD THE MOTOR CHECKED OUT I HAVE 110,000 MILES AND JUST TO BE SAFE I MIGHT CHANGE THE TIMING CHAIN.SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? DET OR NOS I WANT TO GO THE CHEAPEST ROUTE POSSIBLE!!!

------------------

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
well obviously nos is gunna get you power to the wheels cheaper. but it depends if u want your car to last or not. im getting a det cause its fast and reliable, but i have a street car that i depend on. cheaper for now, yes, and nos i expect with a few other mods will get you into the 13's.

·
BOOST OR GO HOME!!!!!
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what mods do i need with the nos im getting a 240sx soon and i think the det is best suited for the turbo rwd. the nx is my winter car it not going to be driven everyday the 240 is. i just want a fast fwd for the fri, sat, night hang out. but when it is time to make money i bring out the big guns the 240sx

------------------

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Lonewolf;

First off...my usual rant...NOS is the brand, nitrous is the chemical compound.

For nitrous and running 12s, you'll need to upgrade your fuel system. Higher flowing fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator are a good start. The power comes from the fuel, not from the nitrous oxide.

Depending on what kind of nitrous setup (wet or dry) you're going after will determine what else you upgrade. If a dry setup, then you'll need bigger injectors (370cc, minimum) to go past 100hp shot of N2O.

The JWT dry setup is great, but you must use a JWT ecu to control it, which is pricey.

Wet setups: A single Fogger setup is good for 75hp, no more. Uneven distribution in our intake manifolds will cause you to burn a piston or valve, eventually.

A direct port (one with a Fogger nozzle in each intake runner, like mine
) is preferred, but somewhat more difficult to tune and a bit more expensive.

You'll still need to upgrade the fuel pump and fpr, regardless of type of nitrous system, to go past 100hp.

Which you WILL need to get anywhere near 12s. Cams (JUN or JWT), a good header (everybody shut up about my Pacesetter, please) will do wonders, too.

Hope this helps!

------------------
Greg Perry, '93 SE-R w/ 149,000 miles, a proud customer of Nitrous Oxide Systems, Inc., [email protected] 1/4 mile, [email protected] 1/8 mile, 1.98 60-ft.

My SE-R page, with videos

·
VE junkie
907 Posts
we were just saying NOS because as far as nitrous goes, its the only way to go

·
Registered
487 Posts
Don't forget the slicks...

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
BOOST OR GO HOME!!!!!
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANXS FOR THE INFO. but with all that stuff you mention how much im looking at? i have the nos 40 t0 60 import kit i got off my acura integra it uses the same system number 05122 so waht excatly i need from jwt besides the ecu.look at this way how much a det swap go for $4000 to $5000 so if i spend half as much that will make me happy. the way you guys sound like is that i be spending up to that amount if i were i use the nos with the det if any of you nos guys tell me how much you spend i will be thankfull, keep in mind i don't need to buy the nos system drag slicks suspesion guages i can get that all off my integra

------------------

·
Registered
782 Posts
I will try to answer your question a little more in depth.

I have used both the standard Dry Manifold NOS System and I have used the JWT 50 & 100 Shot Dry Manifold System!

There are a few different NOS setups.
1. Dry manifold System
2. Wet Manifold System
3. Direct Port System
4. JWT Dry Manifold System

1. Dry Manifold System - Consists of 2 Nitrous solinoids and a NOS fuel pressure regulator. This systems is activated with a microswitch on the throttle body at WOT at any given RPM in any gear. Once the nitrous is activated , nitrous passes through the 1st NOS Solinoid , then passes though the NOS Pressure regulator. This bumps up your fuel pressure via your stock fuel pressure regulator. Passes through the second NOS solinoid and comes out through a nozzle placed as close to the throttle plate as possible. I ran a best of 14.0 @ 94 mph with a 60 shot!

2. Wet Manifold System - Consists of 1 Nitrous solinoid and a Fuel Solinoid. This systems is activated with a microswitch on the throttle body at WOT at any given RPM in any gear. Once the nitrous is activated , nitrous passes through the NOS Solinoid and routed to the "Fogger"nozzle, at this same time fuel passes through the Fuel Solinoid, which is tapped into your fuel line, and is routed into a "Fogger" nozzle. This "Fogger" Nozzle atomizes the fuel and nitrous before it enters the intake planum. This nozzle should be placed at least 12 inches away from the throttle plate to insure atomization.

3. Direct Port System - This system works exactly like a wet manifold system except rather than having one "Fogger" nozzle , you have one per cylinder plumbed into the intake manifold, hence the name "Direct Port" . This is a very aggressive , nitrous kit installed on most of the 11 second all Nitrous powered cars. This is usually controlled with a NOS Nitrous Master which can adjust % of nitrous entering the system per RPM. I would suggest running a larger intank fuel pump and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator!

4. JWT Dry Setup - This system is essentially a NOS Dry kit minus the NOS fuel regulator. JWT tunes the ecu and uses a NOS Module to switch the fuel and ignition maps when the nitrous is activated. There are 2 setups , a 50 shot which uses your stock injectors or a 100 shot setup which uses 370cc injectors from a Q45/300ZX TT. The 50 shot is activated at WOT @ 2000 rpms. The 100 shot is activated at WOT @ 4000 rpms. This system is used with one Nitrous solinoid from JWT. Ben B and myself both used 2 Nitrous Solinoids inline just as an added safety feature just in case one solinoid ever stuck open the second one would then close. You should launch with slicks out of the hole while the NOS is activated. All you have to do is activate the switch, Rev your motor at 5500-6500, drop the clutch and let the NOS do the rest of the work. I would recommend anyone with a high mileage stock pump to upgrade to a larger 190 lph (50 Shot) or 255 lph (100 Shot) pump. I ran a best of 13.7 @ 97 mph on the JWT 50 Shot and a best of 12.8 @ 106.5 mph on the 100 shot. I ran both these numbers on a stock block, cams & head! My best dyno figures were 239.6 hp @ 289.9 ft/lb @ 4400 rpms! The 4400 rpms were due to the motor blowing up because my stock 98000 mile fuel pump gave out on the dyno! CHANGE YOUR FUEL PUMP!!!!!!

I hope this helps!

------------------
http://www.sentra.net/solm/august01/louis.shtml

Louis Anaya

1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R

349.6 hp & 301.9 ft/lb

12.0 @ 118.77

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The JWT dry setup is great, but you must use a JWT ecu to control it, which is pricey.</font>
From which I understand is progressive and the best set up. LONEWOLF, please listen and learn from these guys. Especially Louis. They know what they are saying. I underdstand that it they make it seem more difficult that it it but that is becasue it is more difficult than you think. LONEWOLF. There are very few guys in NYC who understand how to properly set up a SR20DE. (This is not a speed density system set up like Honda. You cant just slap on a FPR and nitrous w/o doing other things) The ones who do are usually browsing or exchanging notes with eachother via in person and/or thru guys on the other cost via the net.
JUST LISTEN AND LEARN!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I agree, if you don't know what you are doing with nitrous, leave it to someone who does. do the JWT kit and never mess with it again. I ran a regular NOS kit in mine, and ran pretty damn good, but I was always having to mess with the jetting, plug gap, plugs, timing, ect. it sucked, so save some more money and do the jwt kit, and you will like it.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Louis;

EXCELLENT discourse on nitrous setups. LoneWolf; Don't be mislead by my sig (14.10 @99mph). That run was on my 'old' single Fogger 'wet' setup, at 60hp setting. I haven't made a decent run (timing gremlins) down the 1/4 mile with the direct port.

However, I've made numerous 1/8 mile runs with it. 1.98 60-ft time and 8.95 @ 79mph means mid-to-high 13s in the 1/4 mile.

That's with it set at 78hp, exactly. Until the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator get here, that's as high as I care to run the nitrous on the stock fuel pump. Fuel pressure determines the fuel jetting, and fuel pressure is god with nitrous.

After 100hp, a progressive controller is almost mandatory. My 1.98 60-ft time was made while spinning in first gear.

As for prices....I started off with the very same kit (NOS part # 5122) that you have, a single 'wet' Fogger setup. $499 new. Direct port conversion was about $200. Bottle warmer: $120 new. Pressure gauge: $40 or so, new. Various lines, fittings, etc: $100. Any time I change the jets (remember, I have 8 of them, 2 each cylinder): $35. Purge kit: $95 new.

Time spent tuning: Hours and hours.

Worth it? Hell yes. The most fun you can have with your clothes on, in my book.

Tough to do? You MUST pay attention. Think like an engine.

My next step: Turbo. It is either that, or go the progressive controller route and go way past 100hp shot of nitrous. I'm just curious about the turbo. Nitrous is a GREAT way to make a car go fast. With a bit of thinking, it can be very easy.

It just isn't a simple bolt-on affair. If you're looking for ease of install/maintenance/etc., then by all means get the JWT ecu-controlled unit.

If you're looking to get technical with your engine and really understand what goes on with nitrous, or just internal combustion process in general, then go for one of the other systems.

That's my advice. Your mileage may (and probably will) vary greatly.

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LONEWOLF:
what mods do i need with the nos im getting a 240sx soon and i think the det is best suited for the turbo rwd. the nx is my winter car it not going to be driven everyday the 240 is. i just want a fast fwd for the fri, sat, night hang out. but when it is time to make money i bring out the big guns the 240sx</font>
Hahaha...that's my setup to a tee! My weekend warrior is my SRpowered '89 240SX coupe, and my daily driver is my NX2K...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts