SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
54C PWNS ME
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I think that for what the NX has I will be running in SP this year. And I think I will keep it in this class. I will be putting a full suspension on, D2 coiovers, rear sway bar, bushings, motor mounts, and strut bars within the year. To make the best of this class, I think all that is left is to get a good header ( probably custom made), port match in, Get a JDM intake manifold and get rid of emissions, get an oil cooler (overkill), run Brake ducting from the foglight holes, SS brake lines, 2.5 or 3 in exhaust, and a dedicated set of stickies.
This actually will not be that hard to do, which is suprising me. I will not have to spend much more money, WOOHOO!! ( since I make a shitty $6.35 an hour). Has anyone had luck with SP? What wheel/tire options are good to run. And also, it seems the rear coilovers will not have camber adjustment, so is this going to really hurt me? I would want to be able to go to a national event and have a competitive car. And I feel it will probably be mainly dependent on tires and brakes, besides the driver.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
JimmyNX2000 said:
To make the best of this class, I think all that is left is to get a good header ( probably custom made), port match in, Get a JDM intake manifold and get rid of emissions, get an oil cooler (overkill), run Brake ducting from the foglight holes, SS brake lines, 2.5 or 3 in exhaust,
Are you talking about "SP" as in Street Prepared as in autocross? If so, you need a Quaife or something-ohter-than-stock-LSD more than any of those mods (a custom header won't be much more beneficial than a Hotshot). If you're just autocrossing, you don't need brake cooling (just use the brake pedal less ... I'm serious!) or most of the stuff you listed.

My list of what you need: Good shocks (custom that allow you to lower the car without pogo-ing off the the bump stops), coilovers, Quaife or something similar (since Quaifes really aren't available anymore), camber plates, bigger or adjustable rear sway bar, wheels at least 7" wide although 13X8 or 13X9 would be best, 225 Hoosiers in front and whatever you can stuff in back, Hotshot header, remove AC, relocate battery or get a lightweight one.

Pat

·
Bitter Old Man
2,623 Posts
Better get the rule book.

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Some thoughts

- Just do STS. Just a tad less expensive and a tad more competitive.

- Don't forget the front swaybar.

- If I were a NX2k driver, I'd be pining for the lighter AD18VF's to save weight and fit smaller wheels. I wish Solo II were fast enough to require brake cooling.

·
54C PWNS ME
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cannot be in STS. My JUN flywheel and JWT stage 2 clutch put me in SP. I was wondering about the 225s in front. but 13x9s? sheesh. thats an odd size. on a side note, should I get the ST rear sway bar or Progress? Ive searched and cant find a good comparison of the two. A better differential doesnt suprise me though. And trust me, if I had a friend make a custom header it would be a LOT better than a Hotshot ;)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Progress bar is much, much nicer than the ST bar.

As to the competitiveness.. you'll be competing with 325i's and a mutant is300 on extremely wide Hoo$iers if you go to a national event.

My advice, put the coilovers on, buy some stickies and have fun. Make sure you can run camber plates in front, running stickies without camber is expensive as you will tear up your tires much quicker.

Skip the custom header, JDM intake, port maching, oil cooler and brake ducts.

·
Gettin' Old and Whipped
571 Posts
Re: Some thoughts

JimR said:
- If I were a NX2k driver, I'd be pining for the lighter AD18VF's to save weight and fit smaller wheels.
Well if i were a Classic driver, i'd be pining away for the lower center of gravity of the NX... ;)

·
54C PWNS ME
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good point Scarpa. I am afraid of mutant RWD cars in SP. Pretty much, tires will make the car. is there any way of getting 13 inch wheels on an NX? or 14s? IF i can find a good connection for race tires i will. Or, i will get some Rotas for the street and use the stockers for some race wheels. Victos may end up, as they are usually cheaper than Hoo$iers.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I had the worst luck getting 225's on without spacers and longer wheel studs. They rubbed my struts pretty bad. As a side note, my classic looked mean with 225's. But you may have better luck with a better wheel choice. The Kosei's I have were only a +38mm offset and required spacers to get anything to fit.
The progress rear bar is the missing piece after the wheels/tires. Get the rear bar first and then see how badly/or unneeded the front bar is.
How good are the D2 Coilovers?

·
B13
1,426 Posts
JimmyNX2000 said:
I cannot be in STS. My JUN flywheel and JWT stage 2 clutch put me in SP. I was wondering about the 225s in front. but 13x9s? sheesh. thats an odd size. on a side note, should I get the ST rear sway bar or Progress? Ive searched and cant find a good comparison of the two. A better differential doesnt suprise me though. And trust me, if I had a friend make a custom header it would be a LOT better than a Hotshot ;)
I'm in SP & i think it's fun.I've got the whiteline front(27mm) & rear(20mm adjustable) swaybars on the nx & they work great.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I was just thinking about this and I thought I should mention it...look into a harness, or something to hold you into the seat better, maybe even a lighter weight seat. That might not be legal in STS or SP, but the 5-point harness made a huge difference holding my skinny ass to the seat, which in turn made me drive better...just a thought.

·
B13
1,426 Posts
gottabfast said:
I was just thinking about this and I thought I should mention it...look into a harness, or something to hold you into the seat better, maybe even a lighter weight seat. That might not be legal in STS or SP, but the 5-point harness made a huge difference holding my skinny ass to the seat, which in turn made me drive better...just a thought.
The Sparco seat w/harness made a huge difference for me.I'm sure you will love it Jimmynx2000.

·
54C PWNS ME
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just noticed, 240s are in the same class. Is this a good or bad thing when trying to be competitive? I can list many advantages an S13 would have over my nx... gulp.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
which S13? The SOHC or the DOHC? Both can be made to handle better, it just depends on preparation. The S13's have the RWD advantage.
They also have the 2.4l KA, so they have more torque and more power down low.

·
Registered
504 Posts
JimmyNX2000 said:
I just noticed, 240s are in the same class. Is this a good or bad thing when trying to be competitive? I can list many advantages an S13 would have over my nx... gulp.

IMO, you'll have your hands full with the BMWs, Lexi, and Integras. I wouldn't worry about potential cars that no one's running.

Andy

·
Registered
59 Posts
i asked daddio once why he ran 23" (225/50/14 hoosier) tall tires on his dsp neon instead of the requisite 21" (225/45/13). he said that putting power down was much easier with the taller tire and that he had lots of wheelspin problems with the 13's.

100hp FSP civics in early development are fast enough to trophy in the top five of DSP with the lexus and bmw running. the civics are within striking distance too.

the lexus and bmw aren't "mutant" rwd cars. the weight to tire width ratio is still worse for them then for a 2300lb nx/classic riding 225's. add to that the longish gearing (redline of 6400rpm stock, top speed in second of roughly 64mph), only 215hp stock w/3000lbs to carry around and i think the sentra could definitely hang with them. nobody has built an integra correctly yet, so i wouldn't worry myself about them either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts