SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for another car since I'm passing down my '98 SE-R to my father.

Anyway, I was just intrested in getting some facts down on the NX2K. I checked SE-R.net for specs but was wondering what the NX runs on the 1/4 stock? Or personally what you guys have run?

Are they quicker than the Sentra? Also, which weighs more?

I also hear that these cars are better equipped to handle better. Is that true? And if so, why?

Sorry if I'm beating the dead horse here, as I'm sure this has been brought up in the past. I'm just interested in getting some straight up facts. I need to decide if I should buy a Sentra SE-R or NX2K but as the rarity of these cars continues, I might just grab the first good deal I find.

Thanks guys. Peace.

------------------
Jerome
'98 SE-R
Soon to be a Classic SE-R... Or an NX2K.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I know the NX2000 wieghs more than the se-r of the same years. And the brakes on the NX are bigger too. As for 1/4 mile times I couldn't tell you, but there are plenty of people on here that could.
My personal choice would be the NX (of course I would say that because I'm biased) My reason being because although both cars are very similar, The Nx, in my opinion is better. Why? I love the look, the T-tops, and the power accessories (I know, added weight but I am spoiled remember), not to mention a car that is not found everywhere. They only made the NX for 3 years and they didnt make all too many. But the Sentras are all over the place. Sure, they all may not be SE-R's but they look close enough. I guess I'm not a fan of a sedan. Don't get me wrong though, SE-R's are great cars.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The NX is heavier but supposedly handles better in stock form than the Classic. You would be faster on a dragstrip in a classic, faster on a road course in an NX. Personally I think it really comes down to which car you prefer based on looks, because the differences are slight between the two and will be quickly equalized with mods.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Registered
194 Posts
Personally i like the Classics b/c i own one, but stock for stock, the NX wins...bigger brakes that every one wants, t-tops, unique styling (blah!), and it handles better than the classics althought it weights more. that and the "unique styling" of the car was a turn off, so i got a Classic

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I say go with the NX because they're rare and the hatchback has plenty of room for whatever you want to carry.

Besides,once you finish modding the car,honduh boys won't know what it was that just spanked them!

------------------
Thomas Fox
'93 NX2000
www.geocities.com/subcltr_nx2000/Homepage.html

[This message has been edited by Subculture (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot guys for the input.

Like I said, I may just find the first good deal I can get.

I like the styling of the NX, although I like the sleeperish look of the SE-R. It's a toss-up really.

I guess it does come down to personal preference, but does anybody know by how much the NX outweighs the SE-R?

Thanks again. Also, if you know any of these cars for sale, let me know!

I found a couple, but I'd like to have a good pick.

------------------
Jerome
'98 SE-R

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerome:
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for another car since I'm passing down my '98 SE-R to my father.

Anyway, I was just intrested in getting some facts down on the NX2K. I checked SE-R.net for specs but was wondering what the NX runs on the 1/4 stock? Or personally what you guys have run?

Are they quicker than the Sentra? Also, which weighs more?

I also hear that these cars are better equipped to handle better. Is that true? And if so, why?

Sorry if I'm beating the dead horse here, as I'm sure this has been brought up in the past. I'm just interested in getting some straight up facts. I need to decide if I should buy a Sentra SE-R or NX2K but as the rarity of these cars continues, I might just grab the first good deal I find.

Thanks guys. Peace.

</font>
Get a SE-R. I own a NX and let me tell you it is smaller and it is very high maintence.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pretty White:
Get a SE-R. I own a NX and let me tell you it is smaller and it is very high maintence.

</font>
Hm. What exactly is more high maintenance? I like these cars and wouldn't mind buying one if the price is right. What makes it more of a maintenance issue than the SE-R?

------------------
Jerome
'98 SE-R

·
8,148 Posts
Hm. What exactly is more high maintenance? I like these cars and wouldn't mind buying one if the price is right. What makes it more of a maintenance issue than the SE-R?

</font>
For one body parts are waayyy more expensive. They all come with Airbags so swapping steering wheels can be a bitch with the spiral cord in the way. Then there is the T-Tops. It took me 4 years on how to figure out how to get rid of wind noise and stop it from leaking. Then there is the structural intergrity, but I isolate that to my car.
Foglights are a bitch ot replace bulbs because you have to open it up. I could go on and on about little details but I would rather have a classic with NX2000 seat tracks in them with classic seats. Those who own the two vechicles look at your seat tracks and you will see what I mean.

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pretty White:
Originally posted by Jerome:

</font>
For one body parts are waayyy more expensive. They all come with Airbags so swapping steering wheels can be a bitch with the spiral cord in the way. Then there is the T-Tops. It took me 4 years on how to figure out how to get rid of wind noise and stop it from leaking. Then there is the structural intergrity, but I isolate that to my car.
Foglights are a bitch ot replace bulbs because you have to open it up. I could go on and on about little details but I would rather have a classic with NX2000 seat tracks in them with classic seats. Those who own the two vechicles look at your seat tracks and you will see what I mean.

There are NO aftermarket cat back exhaust for the car. There is no back seat space for anyone above 5'6".

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ehhh... I'm happy with my NX. I thought that the NX could actually be lighter than the Classic, no? I know that the '93 dealer brochure on SE-R.net quoted the weight of a 5-speed @ 2459 lbs. The A/C and t-tops that most models have must add a good 200 lbs. Although I'd gladly give up the weight for the convenience of either feature, I guess it's cool that a stripper NX such as mine packs a little extra punch

I just double-checked the B13 SE-R's weight... 2450 lbs. for a stripper.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Similarly equiped cars the NX is a tad heavier. Like 100 or 200 I would guess, been a while since I looked. The NX handles slightly better do to a lower center of gravity. I want one just because they are so damn ugly
. The seats suck IMHO but im spoiled with my classic seats. The T-tops are cool but they are very prone to leaking and if you want to drag or autocrozz you better hope for good weather. Since doing both you want to take the tops out or you might just pop them out while driving due to the flex that not having a solid top has. If you can find a rare nont-top nx (mostly in canada) then grab it up. I would think matience is more on them as Ian said. Since you have more "wear" items. Like lift struts on the hatch that always seem to die, leaking t-tops, leaking door seals, hard to get to fog lights. Then the body work on the fron makes it hard to work on the engine IMHO. But you do get a slightly bigger radiator and much bigger brakes. I think my classic has TONS of room since I can almost move in and out of my dorm room in it alone, not my big chair and such but thats expected. Hatches do have their conviences tho, wish I had one. like stories of people moving 27" tvs and love seats in 1st gen CRX's, now those have ROOM. You do have ugly wheels with the NX too.

Pefect world, a solid roof NX with classic seats on NX frames to sit the right highth, b14 15" rims all that for a mean racer. For curiser get t tops back. And have a classic for turboing... and a g for the wife and play toy since they really are the best handlers....too bad they are pigs.

·
Registered
513 Posts
LOL, I agree that I like the styling of the NX. However, I don't like the increased weight and difficulty to work on it. For instance, not being able to use a CAI efficiently. That is one reason that I went with a classic.

You and I are thinking alike here Kevin. My master plan is actually to buy a G20 after I graduate next year. Then that becomes my daily fun ride, and my classic gets a serious overhall. I'm pretty psyched myself. I'd say go classic if you're trying to optimize performance.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

G

·
0 Posts
well i dont have any weight in the back of my car and ill gladly take on a se-r with the same or maybe a little more mods. i have taken 2 and never gotten beat by one. but you never know. i am also talking n/a, i am not saying i would take a turbo(maybe with the nos). it would be really fun to race more se-r's. honduh si's are just boring! also i have beaten cars that have done 15.4 in the 1/4 mile with and intake and exhaust, by a a full car length. so you can imagine that this nx is far from slower than a se-r! of cousre thats IMO!

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
I'd go with the NX. They are awesome looking. I will definately try to own on someday.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SER
advanced timing,custom 2.5" catback exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, ES shifter Bushing, Hotshot Header, Hotshot CAI

·
Registered
178 Posts
Take an NX for a test drive on a nice day, take the tops off and go. If that doesn't convince you to buy one, nothing will.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bowlcut:
The T-tops are cool but they are very prone to leaking and if you want to drag or autocrozz you better hope for good weather. Since doing both you want to take the tops out or you might just pop them out while driving due to the flex that not having a solid top has.</font>
Do all you NX owners have the problem of the T-tops leaking? Also, you say taking the tops off while racing? Aren't the tops to be on when you do anything like that? At least I thought that's how it works.

------------------
Jerome
'98 SE-R

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by corbendallas:
Take an NX for a test drive on a nice day, take the tops off and go. If that doesn't convince you to buy one, nothing will.</font>
Sounds like a great idea. Now if I can find one in my area.

------------------
Jerome
'98 SE-R

G

·
0 Posts
Do all you NX owners have the problem of the T-tops leaking? Also, you say taking the tops off while racing? Aren't the tops to be on when you do anything like that? At least I thought that's how it works.

</font>
you are soo right dude, if you race with the t-tops off it acts like a parachute and slows you down big time! ill never race like that ever again, (it was one of my first races and then someone told me
)

G

·
0 Posts
Well, NX's are great cars, but so are classics. NX has the advantge when hauling bulky cargo b/c of the hatch style. The t-tops are great in the nice weather and as good as a hardtop in bad weather as long as you keep the seals coated with a vinyl/rubber protectant (took me over a year to figure out how to stop the leaks and only 2 minutes to fix them
The NX is slightly heavier than a classic but its not enough to notice. The seats are not a nice but thats easy to fix with classic seats if you are not over 6'. Its very cool to have a car that is not seen every day, especially when you debadge it and have people trying to figure out what it is. Parts (except for body) are easy to find b/c they are the same as any any b13 for the most part.

Matt
93NX best NX 2001 convention (thanks to Ian)
91SE-R det as of this week

1 - 20 of 38 Posts