SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend was my first track event with the NX2000 brakes. For pads, I decided to use EBC Redstuff since it was their "track day" pad.

My evaluation: The NX2000 brakes do not stop me any better on track than the stock SE-R brakes. The do stay cooler though. After a 20 minute session at VIR, I was able to come into the pits and remove the pads with my bare hands after only ~5 minutes cool off time.

Since the brakes were operating at a lower temp, I figured the pads would last much longer. They might have if they weren't EBC redshit. After 3 sessions (~60 miles), the pads were down to backing plate. Pathetic. The Wagner pads that came with the calipers lasted the rest of the day Saturday and all day Sunday!!! So, don't waste your money on EBC pads. Go with something from Porterfield since Hawk doesn't make anything for the SE-R or the NX2000 brakes.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Hell the stock nissan pads dont do a bad job either. Ben is running those Wagners on his stock brakes, and I have them on the rear(like that matters) and never heard much complaint. I went down "Devils Backbone" sunday(17 mile road with NO straights) and never heard one complaing out of the Nissan pads. Well they dust to hell but no biggie. Only reason I dont get some Hawks or Porterfields is I dont do any raceing. I see no point in them myself. The Nissans havent let me down yet.

But yea the ad22vf's dont neccessarly stop better, they just last longer, so I guess near the end they will stop better. Peddal modulation is much easier with the ad22vf's. And if your stock brakes are shot, like mine were, they will stop better. The test SCC did with them shaved like 17 feet or 7 something like that off the total stoping distance, but they also upgraded everything, and tires (i think tires also) which will REALLY affect your stopping distances.

------------------
Thats my opinion and I could be wrong

93 classic
Aztec Red, Automatic, POP, STB, OEC battery tie down, AD22VF's, Pirelli P4000's

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree, the nx brakes doesn't cut down stopping distances, but stock se-r brakes are gone after a couple of 120mph-50mph stops. I noticed I could late brake more often also. At PIR in Portland, Oregon, I was able to catch alot of cars due to how well the brakes performed. I also use metal masters. They seem to hold up really well. my .02

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used stock Nissan pads once for a school at Summit Point Raceway in West Virginia. They did OK. They almost lasted the entire weekend. But lap after lap of braking from 120mph to 45 mph for turn 1 took its toll after ~150 miles.

For street, I'll use stock Nissan or Metal Masters. I think I can get MMs a little cheaper than the Nissan pads, so I'll try those. For track, I suppose I'll have to get some Porterfields R4 pads. Not cheap, but they should last much longer than those EBC pads.

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:
My evaluation: The NX2000 brakes do not stop me any better on track than the stock SE-R brakes. </font>
That's kinda what I figured all along.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The do stay cooler though. </font>
Glad they're good for something.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">They might have if they weren't EBC redshit. After 3 sessions (~60 miles), the pads were down to backing plate. Pathetic. So, don't waste your money on EBC pads. Go with something from Porterfield since Hawk doesn't make anything for the SE-R or the NX2000 brakes.</font>
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll stick to Porterfield R4's. But I thought Hawk made brake pads for our cars. I could've sworn Wade Jackson and Barry Brown had them on their 200SX SE-Rs (with ADV22F brakes).

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pat,
If they have Hawk pads, they had them made by Larry Narcus at Carbotech, or by Porterfield. All Carbotech can make is pads that are glued and riveted together. No thanks. I had one pad crack and fall apart at the rivet after 2 sessions at VIR last year. For about $50 more, Porterfield will make pads out of Hawk material, and they won't use glue and rivets to hold the material to the plate.
I'll pay extra for quality.

Matt

·
Side by side through 9
719 Posts
I've had both the stock SE-R brakes and the NX brakes on my SE-R on the track, and there's a *HUGE* difference between them if you actually drive hard enough (brake late and hard repeatedly). The NX brakes are much more resistant to fading (bigger brakes dissipate more heat, heat is what either glazes your pads or boils your fluid).

I used to be easy enough on regular Metal masters to not fade them on Buttonwillow, but get an instructor in the car and boom: instant brake fade! I've since begiun braking later and harder, and stepped up to Porterfield RS4s and the Metal Master Ultimates. I've used both less than 2 times each, so I can't say how long they'll last, but both seemed really good. Both retail for around $130. I've seen others beat the crap out of their brakes with the Porterfields with no fading.

IMO, if you really think NX brakes aren't worth it, you're not braking late enough or hard enough.

Tom

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I never had any fade issues with the stock system. I used Hawk HT8 pads that never faded and stopped great all session long. The problem I had was heat. The pads didn't last long, the rotors warped and cracked, and I actually melted a piston seal. As you said, the NX2000 brakes operate much cooler due to the extra mass of the rotor, so the solution was obvious: get the NX2K brakes.

I only have one dry day with the big brakes, but I *know* I couldn't push my braking points any further up with these vs. stock. With the right pads, however, I *know* everything will stay cooler, last longer, and stop more consistently. Which is why I got them.

Matt

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I'm saying is, you can make the stock brakes stop as well as the NX2000 brakes. You'll be replacing rotors, pads, fluid, seals, etc. every event due to increadible heat, but you can do it.

I hope to go all season on the same rotors with the big brakes.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

[This message has been edited by MaddMatt (edited 03-20-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts