SR20 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
i smell that whore.
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ordered a new bosch oe replacement o2 sensor from oriely, but the wires off the sensor are damn near touching the radiator fans. anyone else seen this? i searched o2 oxygen sensor radiator fan, and didn't find anything definitive. anyway, i have about 1/8 inch or less between the wires on the sensor and the right side radiator ran, and that's with the wire tie wrapped to the tube on the bottom of the egr blackbox(whatever that's called). any input is appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
What header do you have? If its stock you might have the o2 in the wrong bung.
 

·
i smell that whore.
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wish i could, but i don't have a camera. i'll try to do that though. but really, the wire that comes off the tip of the o2 sensor, the side opposite from what screws into the header, is literally less than 1/4" away from the right side (if you're sitting in the car) radiator fan. i zipped tied it to the egr, as tight as it can possibly be just to get it out of the fan.
 

·
S12//SR20//HOONIGAN
Joined
·
647 Posts
twisted200ser said:
Wrong bung /\/\/\/\/\ lol
loooooooooooooolllllllllll
 

·
i smell that whore.
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pr0nSt4r said:
loooooooooooooolllllllllll
wtf is so funny about that? i have a serious question here. i really don't know how much more specific specific i can be. i really just want to know if anyone else has dealt with this, and if so, in which manner. thanks.
 

·
i smell that whore.
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
liupj said:
There should be a place to zip-tie the o2 wires (near the stock oil separator can).
i have them zip-tied to the tube that comes off of the bottom of the egr black box. where is the oil separator can? the issue is that the metal sensor is just sooo long. i have the wire off the senor at a 90 degree angle, but it is still almost hitting the fan. actually, now there are a couple of small nicks on the fan blades where i'm assuming it has hit. thanks for the reply.
 

·
Turd Furgeson
Joined
·
3,935 Posts
The thing you are calling the EGR black box is almost certainly oil separator. I have my o2 sensor zip tied to the spot where the aiv used to be on it. Clearance is a lot closer with my SSA header than it was with my hotshot, but I doubt it would nick the fan.
 

·
i smell that whore.
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bennitto Mallito said:
The thing you are calling the EGR black box is almost certainly oil separator. I have my o2 sensor zip tied to the spot where the aiv used to be on it. Clearance is a lot closer with my SSA header than it was with my hotshot, but I doubt it would nick the fan.
right on. thanks. i am going to find someone with a camera today so yall can see how incredibly close it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
jeffinbham said:
i ordered a new bosch oe replacement o2 sensor from oriely, but the wires off the sensor are damn near touching the radiator fans. anyone else seen this? i searched o2 oxygen sensor radiator fan, and didn't find anything definitive. anyway, i have about 1/8 inch or less between the wires on the sensor and the right side radiator ran, and that's with the wire tie wrapped to the tube on the bottom of the egr blackbox(whatever that's called). any input is appreciated.

Yes, mine has the same problem and I too replaced it with a Bosch O2 sensor from an autoparts store (Autozone if I remember right) but what I learned was two things; the sensor is the same one that Nissan would sell you (same partnumber and manufacturer) and the clearance issue was more due to the upper radiator mounts than the O2 sensor's length. If you look closely at the mounts I'll bet you'll find that the mounts are stretched causing the radiator to lean towards the engine, about a half inch to an inch closer (mine was almost a full inch). I rotated the mounts on mine so that the stretched part was facing the front and it solved the problem entirely.

Also, for reference mine was so close that what engine mount play there was actually allowed the engine to rotate enough to smack it against the back of the fan shield and bent the "funnel" that the wires go into and caused the check engine light to go off (threw a code on the O2 sensor), it still works but it's damned annoying and I'm too cheap to replace a 70-80 dollar part that only has 20k miles on it :D
 

·
i smell that whore.
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
97pocketrocket said:
Yes, mine has the same problem and I too replaced it with a Bosch O2 sensor from an autoparts store (Autozone if I remember right) but what I learned was two things; the sensor is the same one that Nissan would sell you (same partnumber and manufacturer) and the clearance issue was more due to the upper radiator mounts than the O2 sensor's length. If you look closely at the mounts I'll bet you'll find that the mounts are stretched causing the radiator to lean towards the engine, about a half inch to an inch closer (mine was almost a full inch). I rotated the mounts on mine so that the stretched part was facing the front and it solved the problem entirely.

Also, for reference mine was so close that what engine mount play there was actually allowed the engine to rotate enough to smack it against the back of the fan shield and bent the "funnel" that the wires go into and caused the check engine light to go off (threw a code on the O2 sensor), it still works but it's damned annoying and I'm too cheap to replace a 70-80 dollar part that only has 20k miles on it :D
okay, thanks, i noticed that the radiator was tilted a little, but didn't take that into consideration. i'll try this.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top