SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people, just a quick one tonight. I'm installing my Gen 4 Hotshot header tomorrow. The bolts are soaking in liquid wrench. Anyway on the stock exhaust manifold the O2 sensor gets a reading off all four pipes. (where they all come together before the mid-pipe) Well on the Gen 4 the port for the O2 sensor will only take a reading off one exhaust runner. The computer then would have its O2 reading cut by 75% compared to what it used it have with the stock unit. I know a lot of people have this header here, so give me a shout and let me know if you have had any problems, or noticed your car was running richer or leaner. It just seems like something weird will happen. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Am I??? Thanks

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
It will do just fine. That 02 sensor dosen't know if it's readin all 4 or just one.;)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response James, but I know the computer will not know the difference. My concern is the reading will show less than it really is because the O2 sensor reads off only 1 tube as compared to 4 tubes before.

Taking a reading this way would appear to me to be inacurate, and therefore may cause the fuel mixture to be rich or lean. I'm going nitrous soon, and trying to prevent probs. Any thoughts anybody?:confused:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay I found out the answer to my own question. Providing all four cylinders are putting out the same amount;

The O2 sensor takes a % reading of the exhaust gas. If all for were putting out 100 units of gas and 25 of those units were O2. Then the % of O2 would be 25%
Now one tube put out 25 units (IF all cylinders were equal) then the O2 output of that one cylinder would be 6.25 units which again would equal 25% That is why it makes no difference.

I think this is what you were trying to tell me James. I just didn't get it. I do now. Thanks man.
:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts