SR20 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
My friend payed 150 for his from Ebay- I just installed them, they seem to be pretty good. Fits good also. Only thing I had trouble with is the EGR pipe- but finally got it on with some creative thinking. I had to lower the alternator on the tensioner alittle bit in order for the pass side outter most primary having trouble fitting on the studs of the head. The primary was hitting the alternator- once lowered, header installed, the alternator is clearing the header. Now for the driving impressions, its my friends 95 200SX SE-R 5spd, I just installed a new key value clutch in it this Wed, and its got a DC Sports intake on it off a Integra LS modified to fit. Problem is the car is got one of those cheap Midas/CarX/Meineke "catbacks" on it, its like 1.5" in diameter, so the car is really choking on the exhaust- which is next to be installed. I also did a tune up on it- Autolite plugs in it that have like 70K miles on them and they where NOT platinum, cap, rotor, fuel filter. Seat of the pants, engine runs very smooth now, it has a little bit more mid range and alot more top end. Low end feels the same. I have to say the primaries are alot bigger than my old SE-Rs HS Gen3 headers primaries'. As soon as I weld up a custom exhaust for it, I will let ya guys now how it all goes. I couldn't weld one today, as I had to do front brakes, cut the rotors-myself, tune up, put a new color valve cover on,- not ghetto, get high and header on a 8 year old Chicago car. He just bought it like a month ago for 1100 bux with 128K miles on it. Looks pretty good, runs good. I

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Hey Mike, you're making me wish I lived in Chicago... and I can't stand freezing weather(Florida boy, thin blood). Glad to hear the fitment is good and the power delivery is there. Stainless steel and for the money... it's all good.

Later,
Mark(wishing he was Mike's new best friend)

·
Registered
695 Posts
As a matter a fact my friend is so impressed after driving it for a while that hes ready for cams, ecu etc... hes gotten the speed bug. I think one of the big things that helped that poor SR20 was a tune up- non plat very old Autolite plugs I pulled out of it with a very old dist cap and rotor. Now the car don't fall on its face when U WOT it at 2500RPM.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yes they will fit 91-94s also, they have the AIV plug on the header- along with some caps so if U got a non AIV car U can cap off the AIV and be set. As always- even with the HS headers and Stillens I done in the last few months at my shop EGR tube is a biatch to align and bolt back into the header. Otherwise no leaks, performance gains are all there, seems like they pull really hard at top end. Can't compare it to my old SE-R as I have EZ 40WHP on my friends 200SX SE-R.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My car has a pair of them from a previous owner and at first I was going to trash them, but I have had the car for 3 months now and they have actually grown on me...I would actually suggest them to other people, the only problem is the egr fitting is a pita, the previous owner cut the egr tube and added an inch of tube and that set off the cel. anyways, if you have your egr removed like I do now, do not spend the extra money, get obx. i have pics also..

·
Registered
183 Posts
Stabone said:
My car has a pair of them from a previous owner and at first I was going to trash them, but I have had the car for 3 months now and they have actually grown on me...I would actually suggest them to other people, the only problem is the egr fitting is a pita, the previous owner cut the egr tube and added an inch of tube and that set off the cel. anyways, if you have your egr removed like I do now, do not spend the extra money, get obx. i have pics also..

This is not isolated to obx. The egr is a pain on every one of the aftermarket headers. I've found it easiest to unbolt the egr from the intake manifold (at least loosen it) and that gives you a little more mobility from the metal tube. I think the worst is Pacesetter (like i have :) ) They don't have very clean threads so you have to work at it.

·
GT2835R
7,609 Posts
LowCloud said:
This is off subject but does anyone know anyone who has a 420A non turbo 95-99 2.0L mitsubishi eclpise. And they want to go turbo I can hook them up with a test manifold and turbo, it will cost $400 UP FRONT Then if willing to send photos and install comments Back to me I will get them a rebate and i'm also able to set up a group buy for them.

Thanks for the help! Email me if you know anyone!
Dont mean to be a jerk but go start your own thread. We have a classifieds section too.

·
VIVA MEXICO CABRONES!
1,675 Posts
Boicott(sp?) from hotshot.

Hotshot is doing BS on ebay with these auctions.
I placed a bid last week and it was cancelled a few hours before the end of the auction and I received an email from Hotshit. Here is a copy of this email:

Hi Just wanted you to know that even though the picture in the auction for the spec v header is from Hotshot.com, the header they are selling you is NOT a Hotshot, it is a chinese import, with no warranty. Just thought you'd like to know, because we've recieved alot of calls from upset customers who bought these headers thinking they were American made Hotshot's. They are NOT. If you ARE already aware, then sorry for bothering you, and good luck with the auction. Thanks Hotshot Performance,inc. www.hotshot.com

In the first place, I didn't bid on any "SpecV" headers, and I am *NOT* going to pay over 400 dollars for HS headers or any other header.

I am going to make sure HS doesn't get any business here in Mexico if they don't like free market competition. :mad:

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
GSRMx said:
Hotshot is doing BS on ebay with these auctions.
I placed a bid last week and it was cancelled a few hours before the end of the auction and I received an email from Hotshit. Here is a copy of this email:

Hi Just wanted you to know that even though the picture in the auction for the spec v header is from Hotshot.com, the header they are selling you is NOT a Hotshot, it is a chinese import, with no warranty. Just thought you'd like to know, because we've recieved alot of calls from upset customers who bought these headers thinking they were American made Hotshot's. They are NOT. If you ARE already aware, then sorry for bothering you, and good luck with the auction. Thanks Hotshot Performance,inc. www.hotshot.com

In the first place, I didn't bid on any "SpecV" headers, and I am *NOT* going to pay over 400 dollars for HS headers or any other header.

I am going to make sure HS doesn't get any business here in Mexico if they don't like free market competition. :mad:
Its more like Hotshot is letting people know that another company is using a picture from their websight to sell parts that competes directly against them.

It is Hotshot that is being taken advantage of here. At least the competitior could use their own pictures and not had the gaul to use Hotshot's own picutre against them. That is plan low doewn and dirty. Its proably against copywrite law as well.

The OBX header is not a direct copy of a Hotshot, the primary tubes are bigger and the EGR fittings, etc are different. A bad thing about the OBX is that the primaries are bigger than the secondarys and there is a bad neck down with a sharp transition at the flange. This is bound to lose a few hp. This is too bad because the construction of the header appears to be pretty good.

Mike

·
VIVA MEXICO CABRONES!
1,675 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
Its more like Hotshot is letting people know that another company is using a picture from their websight to sell parts that competes directly against them.

It is Hotshot that is being taken advantage of here. At least the competitior could use their own pictures and not had the gaul to use Hotshot's own picutre against them. That is plan low doewn and dirty. Its proably against copywrite law as well.

The OBX header is not a direct copy of a Hotshot, the primary tubes are bigger and the EGR fittings, etc are different. A bad thing about the OBX is that the primaries are bigger than the secondarys and there is a bad neck down with a sharp transition at the flange. This is bound to lose a few hp. This is too bad because the construction of the header appears to be pretty good.

Mike
Well, Lowcloud stated they have "lifetime warranty", so HS is lying, and I've never seen those pictures on the HS site. The bigger secondaries don't justify, at least for me the 300 dollars difference, I'm just pissed off because the auction was closed just an hour before ending.

I think HS pricing for the headers is outrageous. If I can't get the obx I'd rather get the pacesetter seeing lately all the quality issued HS has.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
GSRMx said:
Well, Lowcloud stated they have "lifetime warranty", so HS is lying, and I've never seen those pictures on the HS site. The bigger secondaries don't justify, at least for me the 300 dollars difference, I'm just pissed off because the auction was closed just an hour before ending.

I think HS pricing for the headers is outrageous. If I can't get the obx I'd rather get the pacesetter seeing lately all the quality issued HS has.
The picture was taken from Hotshots web sight. Are you saying that having a low price justifies the theft of a copywrited picture when you are competing directly? The fact that you can get angry at a company because of the price they charge is stupid. If you don't like the price then don't buy their product, buy what you want to buy and move on. A Pacesetter header is a total piece of crap. The tubing gauge is thin, the flanges are thin, a cheap flex pipe is used and the welds are gloppy. Its also a direct rip off of Hotshots gen 1 header to the point where it actualy fits into Hotshots production jig. It will make less power and have a much shorter life. As far as I know, HS doesnt have many quality issues and if you think HS's quality is low, then buy the Pacesetter and see what poor quality is about.

A company that bends so low as to actualy steal designs directly is pretty lame. I mean how hard is it to make a design a little different. If you steal a design, it means no test fitting, no prototyping of a vehicle, no dynoing or anything being done. Yeah thats a quality company alright. I bet you would be pissing and moaning if someone did that in a way that affects your income.

Mike

·
merely a flesh wound
15,285 Posts
Hey Sato - I think there's some confusion here. Were you bidding on the OBX stainless SR20 header and received an email from Hotshot?

Give us a link to the auction you were looking at.

C

·
VIVA MEXICO CABRONES!
1,675 Posts
chriscar said:
Hey Sato - I think there's some confusion here. Were you bidding on the OBX stainless SR20 header and received an email from Hotshot?

Give us a link to the auction you were looking at.

C
Hi Chris

The bid is the same one lowcloud posted a page back, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33631&item=2442786955

It's the one with the pictures of the headers taken on a piece of rag and I don't believe this one is from hotshot and yes, I got that email from someone in Hotshot.

·
VIVA MEXICO CABRONES!
1,675 Posts
choaderboy2 said:
The picture was taken from Hotshots web sight. Are you saying that having a low price justifies the theft of a copywrited picture when you are competing directly? The fact that you can get angry at a company because of the price they charge is stupid. If you don't like the price then don't buy their product, buy what you want to buy and move on. A Pacesetter header is a total piece of crap. The tubing gauge is thin, the flanges are thin, a cheap flex pipe is used and the welds are gloppy. Its also a direct rip off of Hotshots gen 1 header to the point where it actualy fits into Hotshots production jig. It will make less power and have a much shorter life. As far as I know, HS doesnt have many quality issues and if you think HS's quality is low, then buy the Pacesetter and see what poor quality is about.

A company that bends so low as to actualy steal designs directly is pretty lame. I mean how hard is it to make a design a little different. If you steal a design, it means no test fitting, no prototyping of a vehicle, no dynoing or anything being done. Yeah thats a quality company alright. I bet you would be pissing and moaning if someone did that in a way that affects your income.

Mike
You're the one that is getting angry bro, cool down, I am NOT talking about copyright issues and I agree with you on that matter, as I said I am just pissed off because they cancelled the auction early and I don't have the $$$$ to buy a Hotshot, end of discussion.

cheers.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts