SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have the same problem I have. With the OBX installed I noticed a raspy noise coming from my car when under load. Any input or suggestions would be nice in trouble shooting this problem. Oh yeah the car runs fine it just sounds like a tin can though. TIA

Rod

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
This might sound scary but check to see if all of your nuts are tight on the header flanges particularly at the upper primary ie, the flange connected to the block. I had my exhaust adjusted a week or so after I had it installed. The installer at Meineke pushed back some underbody shields to elliminate some unwanted noise and vibration. I also suggested that the bolts be re-tightened on header. He asssured me, their not loose. Yeah OK? The next day I'm under my hood preping to do a tune-up I grab a wrench and what do you know, every nut I touched was loose by almosted a full turned a total of 5. What made me question this was I noticed all of the sudden it was taking allot for me to accelerate to like 4000rpm I was feeling a bogged down response to simple movement in traffic. and I could hear a rattle coming from the front of my car. All nuts and bolts tight now a new 150.000 mile tune-up and everythings good. ;)

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
If it's not the nut's and bolts loose. I says check the shields around your piping. The raspy noise is caused by vibration. Somethings loose or rubbing underneath. I've never heard of a flex pipe rattling. You guys with the 5 speeds (That's Everybody except me ;) ) be sure to check your rubber hangers also because you have a cross member that can come into contact with your flex pipe which can create noise. I took a suggestion from hear at the forum and purchased some urathane KartBoy hangers, big difference as it relates to the steadyness of your exhaust. Check them out here at the mod database.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Whats this lose Header day? woke up today to go pick up my G/F so she can go to work and i to school, i start the car and hear this rattle... I'm like WTF?! ... anyway i looked under the car and the noise was comming from infront of the car. I opend the hood and everything is fine... I drove to my G/F's and the rattle became louder ... I'M all nervous and PISSED NOW ... I told her i'm not driving this car like this. Dropped her of at the train station and went to a Muffler shop, which name BTW was USA... heheheh drove the car up the brigde/lift... Lifted the car and I'll be DAMNED!! 2 nutz were lose of the primary/secundary flange.... Put new bolts, washers, and lock nutz and tighten that thing up!

My lil ponies are BACK!

·
8,148 Posts
You are supposed to retorque the nuts like a day or so after.

·
From Miami to New York
1,999 Posts
I have the same noise, its not a rattle though just raspy. Only when the car is cold though, when it warms up it goes away except from 1k-2.5k

·
SR20GE P11
433 Posts
Domiken said:
I have the same noise, its not a rattle though just raspy. Only when the car is cold though, when it warms up it goes away except from 1k-2.5k
Check those heat shields around the piping. That raspy sound comes from something vibrating. It shouldn't happen if your car is cold.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Right after i installed my obx/ssautochrome header, i test drove it around the block, and whenever i stepped on the gas, it mades a kinda raspy whooshing noise.
When i pulled back into the garage, i left the car running and i got under the hood and pulled on the throttle cable a little bit, and heard the whooshing noise. It was air being sucked into the intake. It was pretty loud, and I never heard it before the header.

-patchy

·
Registered
775 Posts
i had the same problem but like you said once the car is warm it's fine. actually the variable cap muffler that came with the car actually sounds aggressive now..

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
Those header bolts connecting the primary to the secondary are NOTORIOUS for falling off. It's happend to me like 5-6 times with various headers/cars. The best you can do is get the locking types.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I used studs with my primary to secondary flange for my PS header. So far no leaks at all.

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
I remember back in 1999, 2 of those bolts fell of the hotshot header on my 91 SE-R - the car drove like it had about 90 horsepower and was very loud. I was pretty sure I had blown my motor until I checked out the header. DOH!

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
worldcrafter said:
Same problem here, I'm guessing it's because of the single-walled flexpipe. It rasps from 1-3.5K then the roar of the CAI/engine takes over
Mine is raspy as well. But the rasp is only at initial tip in and them it goes away as you rev up. I have learned to live with it. For $150 some compromises are to be expected.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. But my problem does not go when the rpms get higher. Its just there through out the rev band. I will go back and check for any loose bolts or heat shields and let you guys know. If its not any of those then I guess its just the header and I'll have to live with sounding like a tin can. Thans again.

Rod

·
DBA/IT
1,231 Posts
I actually pulled off all of my heat shields and it made no difference in sound. The only difference is my interior gets warmer when I leave the car to sit after I drive around. I'm too lazy to put em back on ;)

I actually don't know exactly where the rasp is coming from(I know it's coming from somewhere under the car though). I was thinking that it could be my 110k mile cat, but I don't wanna spend 100+ to find out

·
Registered
361 Posts
mine sounds like that aswell, almost sounds like its comming from the cat, sounds like my 1.6 did when I hollowed out the cat. I have only put like 2-4 days worth of driving on it though, so I will tighten all the bolts and check the heat shield. Car also got a lumpy idle, almost like S3's. Pretty sure that has to do with my cars bad state of tune.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts