SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, we've all seen the post on the mysterious workings of the SR20 and its mileage that's affected by octane.

here's the next scenario..what if we put in 100 octane pump fuel? do you think that it could boost the car to 250 miles to the half tank as opposed to the normal 200ish?

the sunoco in the next town over has 100octane fuel and i was thinking of trying that out for a tank or two and seeing what happened.

any comments?

-Chris

·
0 Posts
Damn, how much is it per gallon?
Give it a full tank test trial and keep us updated.!!

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
last i checked it was 1.86 a gallon....probably not worth it but it would be cool to see what happens. i'll let ya'll know.

-Chris

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey Chris whats up? Im from Brick, not far from you. If your getting that bad gas mileage, try having the engine decarboned. There is a guy in Brick that does it. Its a whole process that takes about 4 hours where the engine runs off of this machine that pumps chemicals through it to clean off any and all deposits on your valves, injectors, emissions stuff, so on...
I plan on getting it done to my car soon, so if you want to wait, I will inform you (and the rest of you guys) on how well it works. The reason Im doing is because the car wouldnt pass inspection for my emissions, and this guy got it to pass (barely), but suggested that all the carbon was causing it to fail, and having this done would improve the airflow, the power a bit, as well as fuel economy. The shops name is Brick Performance and they are located on Burnt Tavern Rd.

-jason

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sup jay

its not that i'm getting bad gas mileage, i'm actually very happy with my 31mpg

i just figured if i get better mileage going from 87 octane to 93...what would happen if i went from 93 to 100? and could it possibly help performance a little?

by the way, this is the sunoco on hooper ave. in brick...about a half mile from the Speed Depot.

i'd love to hear what that decarbon-ing stuff does for ya. keep us posted

-Chris-

G

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NismoSER:
last i checked it was 1.86 a gallon....probably not worth it but it would be cool to see what happens. i'll let ya'll know.

-Chris
</font>
gawddamn!

i pay something like $1.89 a gallon for the highest octane i can get my hands on out here, which just so happens to be 91!!!
we can't even get 92 anymore. i have to go the hot rodder toluene route to get up to 100, and toluene costs $9.00 a gallon.

i'd run 100 all the time if i lived out there.

anyways, i believe it should give a bit better performance. your knock sensor will be working less, especially on these "dog days" of summer.

------------------
"more housing
developments go up
named after the things
they replace,
so welcome to
meadowbrook, and
welcome to shady
space."
-modest mouse

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
Hey ya'll. I was at the dragstrip a couple of weekends ago and I ran 60/40 pump 93 and Sunoco 115. I wasn't terribly impressed. The one big difference is my exhaust pipe was light gray later on instead of black. As far as mileage is concerned, she did pretty good considering I ran the f--- out of her at the dragstrip.

The one fuel I'm most impressed with so far is VP Racing Fuels. I'd be seriously interested in other draggers' comments, especially SERprise's. When I ran the VP, it did foul my plugs but I ran 9.70s all night on an 1/8th mile with a shredded OEM clutch and overall my engine felt GREAT during the runs.

------------------
Jason N. -- '92 Black Classic
JWT ECU
JWT S3 Cams
JWT Motor Mounts
JWT Pressure Plate
Place Racing CAI
HS Gen 2 Header
2 1/2" Pipe in CAT's Place
GReddy Cat Back
NT555 Extreme Drag Radials on 2 stock 14x5.5s
Other handle and stop stuff...