SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '91 SE-R with 123K miles. I've been using regular or mid-grade gas for the past 4 months that i've owned it and i get around 25-27 MPG. I get this mileage whether or not i'm on the highway, puttin' around town, or racing from lights.

One day I decided to be nice to her and put in some 93 octane fuel. To my surprise, I instantly got 31-33MPG. Then, i went back to regular, and so did my gas mileage. Funny thing, i've never seen octane have such a drastic effect on gas mileage.

So, i'm running super all the time...even though its more expensive than regular, i can save about 25 cent per fillup with the added mileage.

anyone know what might be causing this?

thanks in advance.

-Chris-

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
I ONLY run 93 octane and my JWT ECU even makes the motor burn rich. I average 370 miles per tank, in or out of town.

·
0 Posts
Maybe I'll try the switch.
Any Mobil gasoline fans out there.
I have the oil and transmission fluid , why not the gas too.!!

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
hey, check it out: tires make a huge difference, too.

My last set of tires were Toyo Proxes and I loved them! They stuck like glue. However, I didn't know exactly what pressure to run and there were times I ran them too low or too high. Basically, I only got around 290 miles per tank on those tires.

My new tires are Bridgestone RE910s. I don't like them as much because they don't handle near as "stickily" as the Proxes. BUT, I'm getting anywhere from 70 - 100 miles more per tank!! Weird, huh? Also, I haven't adjusted the pressure and they're very new.

·
0 Posts
--YOU ARE NOW ENTERING.....THE TWILIGHT ZONE.
( twilight zone music plays...............)

I still say these cars are possesed.
Everybody has different problems and all the SR20DEs act differently.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I get around 289 miles to a tank, but i never try to go over that because my warning light is inop. I also adjusted my TPS sensor and thats when i notice that i got more miles to a tank but i still think something is wrong? I tried using different octane and yes i get better mileage with 93 oppose to 87 or 89. A wise man told me dont fix something that aint broken................

·
Of Topic Count: 11,684
1,168 Posts
DARN IM SO JELOUS im happy when i get about 211 miles per tank in my classic on 89 octane, maybe i should try to go 93octane!!! i also am running very rich, i belive my 02 sensor needs a cleaning thoguh!

------------------
-Dennis w/ 91 Classic DET, Tokiko, Eibach and some more SE-Rious Goodies [[email protected]]

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Im having the same problem as NismoSER is having in my 92 nx2000. My problem is identical to his. I tried 93 octane today and im already seeing an improvement in my gas mileage over using either 87 or 89 octane. We have talked about this problem and we cant figure out whats going on...any into would be helpful...thanks.

------------------
1992 Nissan NX2000
White...fully loaded

·
0 Posts
THESE CARS ARE POSSESED!!!!!!
I use 89 octane and get about 265 miles per tank. However since my exhaust is leaking I now get 290-300 miles per tank. WTF!!
Maybe I wont fix it. I havent tried going to 93 yet.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Der guys, so the conclusion we have come up with is that the cars are possesed...that doesnt really help at all.

·
0 Posts
P-O-S-S-E-S-E-D

These engines have a mind of their own!!!!

If you take the wipers off on one car it'll idle funny, if you change the headlights on another you get better gas milage.

p-o-s-s-e-s-e-d!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
1,168 Posts
HAHAHAHA, Hmmm maybe that explains the missin oil syndrome. You put 4qts of oil in, and only 1 comes out and you have no leak or anything lol, this problem was also documented at se-r.net

------------------
-Dennis w/ 91 Classic DET, Tokiko, Eibach and some more SE-Rious Goodies [[email protected]]

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
yeah, for some reason when I removed the dual overhead clutch-brake it only got 230 miles per tank so I put it back on.

·
1,168 Posts
WHATS GOING ON!!! why am i only getting 211 miles per gallon and you complain about 230!! IM SO JELOUS!

------------------

·
0 Posts
****, I COMPLAIN ABOUT 260 A TANK.
I miss my lil 85 CRX Si. 330 miles per tank with a $10 fillup. woohooo!!!!

Hey, I just played my Tupac CD and I got better throttle response!!!

·
0 Posts
**********************************^

hit that right there on top and start quoting

[This message has been edited by 94_REDSE-R (edited 07-26-2001).]

·
1,168 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 94_REDSE-R:
DOE!</font>
YAY

------------------

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 91 240SX too...but i wouldn't be surprised that it ran better and got better gas mileage cuz Nissan recommends 93 octane for it.

it says it in the owner's manual, and on the inside of the fuel filler door.

but, supposedly the SE-R was designed to run on 87 octane. WHY IS IT RUNNING BETTER ON 93??? ARGGH

1 - 20 of 29 Posts