SR20 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay- I was coming home tonight from a long highway drive (130 miles). When I was about 20 miles from home I was suddenly convinced my right front tire was flat- wheel was jerking violently to the right, suspension was hopping up & down, etc. When I pulled over, though, all four tires were fine. The problem went away after I restarted but came and went over the last few miles and seemed to worsen when turning left.

My guess is a bad CV joint. They were replaced 50,000 miles ago and the front end has been making strange noises for the past couple months. Anybody an Iron Maiden fan? The front end sounds like the ship in Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner (One after one, by the star darkened moon, too quick for groan nor sigh...).

Any input would be appreciated.

·
now on the West side!
3,661 Posts
could be CV joints...but since its only been 50K miles, it may be too soon.

check your tires more closely in the light, maybe you have a blister or lump in your tire, or maybe the steel belts shifted.

also, a bad strut maybe?

------------------
1991 Sentra SE-R
Cone intake, NismoBorla Exhaust, 19* timing, 2 12" Kicker Competitions, 125K miles

·
Registered
312 Posts
had a similar problem on a prior car but i am not to sure if it will apply to you ar not.

Check yer lug nuts ya lug! (just kidding!)

Also you might want to look at the ball joints and tie rod ends on that side a well. I would think that once ya get the wheel up in the air and start looking around and moving the tire around you ought to be able to tell.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks- I'll take a look tonight after work. I wasn't in the mood last night after the trip. I doubt it's a tire problem as the symtoms come and go. Might be a strut problem, but I only have 40,000 on those (Tokikos). We'll see.

I guess there aren't any Iron Maiden fans here. Can't account for taste, I guess (just kidding).

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">lance wrote:
...wheel was jerking violently to the right, suspension was hopping up & down, etc... My guess is a bad CV joint.</font>
You've got a good feel for the car, Lance. That's exactly what it is - same thing happend to my wife's '91 earlier this year. She had rebuilt axles too. I went with a better reman outfit (RAxles) and all's been well since.

------------------
'91 Classic w/the usual stuff

"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss

1 - 5 of 5 Posts