SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2-21-04. My friend, Rittmeister, 2xSE-R, and I complete the Tein Basic Damper installation yesterday. We removed the old and busted dropzone and stock struts and replaced them with the new and hotness. Tein Basic Dampers are a must if you are lowering your car. We traveled to Rittmeisters from Canton for 4 hours to Cincinnati. It was well worth it Rittmeister know what he's doing. Here's the before and after pics.

This is how you will remember this car but I am the new owner not TroySER.

The images aren't loading right so just click the links.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
Had a good time yesterday. Just for the record, I only know what I'm doing when we're working in 37-degree weather with light snow.

Guys, these Teins are pretty nice - they handle nearly as well as my B13 Hypercoil/AGX setup, but ride better. They're a good choice for the B14 and if they get made for the B13 they'll be worthy of scrutiny. The install went smoothly and the only real snag was nearly leaving the front bumper at the bottom of the driveway (BEFORE the install :D )

·
8,886 Posts
The better ride is partially due to the stiffer frame of the B14. I have always thought the TEIN's deserve a look by people. Adjustablity is overrated for most people as well.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
No doubt - I had a fun time too.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
how stiff are the springs?

·
Is wrong BOB!
496 Posts
Looks Great:D, better than Troy's attempt

I can't wait to get my Basic's, hey could you take any pics of the car with them adjusted to where you will be riding with them? Thanks.

-Orion-

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
gottabfast said:
how stiff are the springs?
Matt didn't know the spring rates. Actually he said "what are spring rates?" Newbies :D Just kidding!

From Tein's site: Front 6 kg/mm Rear 5 kg/mm

That's stiffer than the Hypercoils on my car, which means the dampers really are designed to work well with the springs, to ride as well as they do.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Rittmeister said:
From Tein's site: Front 6 kg/mm Rear 5 kg/mm

That's stiffer than the Hypercoils on my car, which means the dampers really are designed to work well with the springs, to ride as well as they do.
seriously, that's stiff...I can barely pick my nose and drive with the hypercoil/AGX set up. That just says more good stuff about Tein's products.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The ride is great. Before the install I was riding on the coilovers only pretty much. The only noise I here now is my sagging body kit which is next on the list, next to clutch and brakes. Also I always hear the loud no cat muffler. Rittmeister really hated that I do want to be a little quieter.

·
JDM style
1,091 Posts
ahhhh cant wait to get mine on. Theyve been sitting here since November. Im ordering the pillow ball mounts asap!

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
sprospect16 said:
The ride is great. Before the install I was riding on the coilovers only pretty much. The only noise I here now is my sagging body kit which is next on the list, next to clutch and brakes. Also I always hear the loud no cat muffler. Rittmeister really hated that I do want to be a little quieter.
Yeah guys, if you check out the pics, one of the rear shocks was so blown that the shaft FELL into the strut housing after we disassembled the mounts. FELL. Without being pushed down. Holy crap.

The exhaust is ear-bleeding loud (no offense Matt). I can't imagine driving that thing on the highway... Once again though, the Teins are SWEET. I want some!

·
No D E T.
1,436 Posts
just curious, i may pick a set of these up and put them on the car. my fiance and i are looking into buying an IS300 and possibly selling the 200sx, with the coilovers, the front looks sooo high.

where did you buy them and how much?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
Those look damn good, i have the RNN14 tein coilovers on my pulsar and that car weights a good 500lbs less than a b14. Tein makes a great product.

Brent

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
honkeybizkit said:
just curious, i may pick a set of these up and put them on the car. my fiance and i are looking into buying an IS300 and possibly selling the 200sx, with the coilovers, the front looks sooo high.

where did you buy them and how much?
The front looks high for two reasons.

1. THE WHEEL ARCH IS HIGHER. I'm truly tired of people whining about the front being higher when the car is lowered. Look at a stock car, it's higher on those too.

2. The spring perches are of course adjustable. Since we barely got the car (and its bodykit) up the driveway on its Dropzone spring/blown shocks suspension, we put the perches almost at the top on the Teins. The idea was to get the car back down my driveway (there's a bump at the bottom) in one piece. It could be lowered easily; the issue was the front bumper. As it was, I was wishing we'd put them at the top, since the bumper still scraped.

·
Red line chaser
2,040 Posts
98sr20ve said:
I have always thought the TEIN's deserve a look by people. Adjustablity is overrated for most people as well.
I will be joining the party soon also. Adjustability on a street car isn't really necessary. On a track car that is daily driven on the street maybe. But on your everyday street car, save the $$$ on the SS's and get the Basics.

·
Registered
909 Posts
im torn between the basics and the ss. im also broke but ehh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts