SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What oil do most of you use in your sr20des? 5w-30 or 10w-30 and do you use any thing in your oil such as lucas oil stabilizer? I saw a little gear demo of it at a local parts shop and it looks kinds impressing compared to regular motor oil? Anyone know anything about this? Thanks

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
sr20sentra91 said:
What oil do most of you use in your sr20des? 5w-30 or 10w-30 and do you use any thing in your oil such as lucas oil stabilizer? I saw a little gear demo of it at a local parts shop and it looks kinds impressing compared to regular motor oil? Anyone know anything about this? Thanks

I have been cheap lately and just been using mobil drive clean 10W30. I usually like to run Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30. As far as additives, i have heard some good about the lucas stuff, but I have also always heard not to add anything to your oil/gas/etc, because it can cause seals, etc to deteriorate. I personally never have or will run any additives, unless its proven by more than that little wheel thing you spin in the parts stores.

·
Registered
450 Posts
5W30 Redline Synth. only.

Nothing like overkill.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
That Lucas wheel is great. I would only use it as an attempt to avoid repairs ie adding to an automatic tranny to see if it helps before having your tranny rebuilt.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've seen that stuff... But I use RESTORE. It's a little can of oil-like stuff and it has less viscosity than oil (for start-ups) and it's supposed to smooth out the scratches in your engine for better compression and smoother running. It seemed to work for me, but my car only has 60k original miles on it. So, I assume most of you high milage people might notice a bigger difference if you use it. It's guaranteed that you'll notice a difference if your engine has more than 40k miles on it or your money back.

·
Registered
746 Posts
restore doesnt work, nothing works. only oil. that lucus stuff you see sticks to the wheels better, but if spin it fast enough and you look closely, you will notice that it has air bubbles all in it. the regular oil has some but not as big or as abundant. the regular oil has additives that prevents foaming of the oil.

check out:
www.bobistheoilguy.com for more info.

·
JDM style
1,091 Posts
Lucas is the ****. Makes the engine run a little bit quieter, and protects it on cold-startup. I drop it in every oil change. Your supposed to put 20% of the Lucas additive for the amount of oil your putting in the engine.

·
I lika da turns
710 Posts
So that Restore stuff is no good? My brother got me some of that and I want to use it but if you guys say not to then I won't. I don't see how it could hurt. I mean it can't fill in the scratches or whatever that might be in the cylinder walls but maybe it just uses it's higher viscosity to kinda "smooth" them out. Don't know, just guessing. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Cannibal said:
So that Restore stuff is no good? My brother got me some of that and I want to use it but if you guys say not to then I won't. I don't see how it could hurt. I mean it can't fill in the scratches or whatever that might be in the cylinder walls but maybe it just uses it's higher viscosity to kinda "smooth" them out. Don't know, just guessing. Thanks.

Well, like I said above, I have never used that Lucas stuff, however I talked to someone who did use it last night. He has an accord. He never used lucas until his last oil change (or maybe last 2 I cant remember which he told me). Now his piston rings are bad, he is burning oil crazy out the ass. Does this have a direct connection with the Lucas additive? Maybe so, it's not proven, but needless to say, he says he thinks it might be, and he wont be using it again.

·
Registered
746 Posts
nothing should be in your crankcase except oil.

·
Drinking The H Juice Now
4,216 Posts
i know Restore worked on my old Buick LeSabre... i would add a can every oil change and could feel a definite change in power... but it only lasts for about 1500 miles...

·
I love Katamari
1,187 Posts
lucas oil additive foams up - foam is bad, it has air in it, air doesn't lubricate - stick w/ some good synthetic; Mobil, Amsoil, Redline, etc.

·
"Keep firing, Assholes!"
796 Posts
i agree with most everyone else, although that little wheel demo in the store is pretty cool and kinda mesmerizing, i don't think i will ever put anything but mobil 1 in my motor. it's proven to work well and i don't see any reason to mess with that. stick with synthetic and no additives

·
Registered
765 Posts
The best additive is just regular oil changes with good oil, like Valvoline. I only use Valvoline 5-30 conventional, and if/when I go turbo it will be Valvoline 10-30 or maybe 10-40 synthetic. I would not reccomend using any additives in your oil. To me, synthetics are a waste of money on an NA motor unless you arent doing a change every 3K miles, or your car sees track time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts