SR20 Forum banner

Oil Change

692 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Grip 
#1 ·
For some reason i have reservations about changing my own oil. I redid my engine mounts and changed my struts but i still am worried. Open plug, drain oil, remove filter, replace plug install oil filter and new oil right? Also i got a nissan filter but one question. Is there any reason to believe that mobil one would be a problem if the previous owner only used regular oil? Ive heard horror stories before. Need i be worried?

#2 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Black93:
For some reason i have reservations about changing my own oil. I redid my engine mounts and changed my struts but i still am worried. Open plug, drain oil, remove filter, replace plug install oil filter and new oil right? Also i got a nissan filter but one question. Is there any reason to believe that mobil one would be a problem if the previous owner only used regular oil? Ive heard horror stories before. Need i be worried?</font>
You shouldn't have any problems With Mobil 1 as long as you use OIL FLUSH BEFORE YOU CHANGE YOUR OIL(AND DON'T DRIVE THE CAR WITH THE OIL FLUSH IN FOR GODS SAKE!! READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!)!...you can find it at your friendly (not necessarily) local auto parts store... :~) Just make sure and check your oil frequently...and one more thing...make sure you get the old oil filter o-ring off...sometimes it likes to stick to the car..and its not fun cleaning all the oil out of the engine compartment after the first time you start it up...and make sure and change the little o-ring on the oil-plug..you should be able to get a gasket type thing from the auto-parts store...or from Nissan...later...

------------------
-----
~~Ryan
Got 5-th gear pop-out problem?(FROM TalkingEAR) http://www.petitiononline.com/44ndone/
Damn it...I want an SE-R...NOW I HAVE ONE!! Bone Stock though...: (
Now its wrecked...
( STILL PULLS HARD TO THE REDLINE THOUGH!!

[This message has been edited by SENTRASER (edited 10-09-2001).]

#3 ·
Are you thinking of the STP motor flush? Also what is your reasoning behind using motor flush first? I understand thier is a chance of sludge but i am also worried about the motor flush causeing problem with seals and such. BTW my motor is really tight... when my mechanic put it up on the rack so i could look it over he was surprised how tight the motor was. I dont want to start any leaks now.

#4 ·
How many miles?

I am owner #3 of my SE-R. I am positive I am the first person to put Mobil 1 in it. That was 2 years ago. I have zero oil issues.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

#8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Black93:
For some reason i have reservations about changing my own oil. I redid my engine mounts and changed my struts but i still am worried. Open plug, drain oil, remove filter, replace plug install oil filter and new oil right? Also i got a nissan filter but one question. Is there any reason to believe that mobil one would be a problem if the previous owner only used regular oil? Ive heard horror stories before. Need i be worried?</font>

Why would it cause problems? If the valve cover leaks then replace the seal. Dude, just do it. Or use Castrol 10W30 Synthetic.
There should not be a problem.

#9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big Money Grip:
Okay guys what is this crap about oil. Synethetic oil and "regular" mixes without any problems. Castrol, Havoline, & others even make Synethetic blends. Sounds like an old wise tale.</font>
Its not about if ****ing mixing, its about all the old **** thats in the engine BLOCKING AND RESTRICTING THE OIL FLOW!! Good god...

------------------
-----
~~Ryan
Got 5-th gear pop-out problem?(FROM TalkingEAR) http://www.petitiononline.com/44ndone/
Damn it...I want an SE-R...NOW I HAVE ONE!! Bone Stock though...: (
Now its wrecked... :(( STILL PULLS HARD TO THE REDLINE THOUGH!!

#10 ·
#11 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SENTRASER:
Its not about if ****ing mixing, its about all the old **** thats in the engine BLOCKING AND RESTRICTING THE OIL FLOW!! Good god...

</font>
Dude did you read his question??? If there is crap "restricting the oil flow" then yes use a motor flush. But if the crap is in there restricting the oil flow what difference does it make what type of oil he uses??? You need to cool out man and back up off the "F" word.

After re-reading my first post I can see it could have sounded a little strong. No offense Black93. I completely understand why you asked. Hey thats what the BB is here for right?

Storm, and to think all these years I've been saying it wrong

[This message has been edited by Big Money Grip (edited 10-12-2001).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.