SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone could post up their oil feed and return setup for T3/TO4E. a few specific questions i have:

1. is an oil restrictor needed/recommended? if so, what kind?

2. i believe the oil feed inlet on the turbo is 1/8" NPT. can anyone verify this?

3. what is the thread type for the oil return flange shown here:

http://atpturbo.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=1253720|1254412&PRID=1390602

the description says M8 x 1.25mm but that doesn't seem right?

any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
724 Posts
1. yes, a restrictor should be used to prevent excessive oil past the seals. .060 in IIRC
2. yes, 1/8" npt oil inlet
The oil return flange that I got has 1/2" NPT thread. YMMV

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. you're right, ATP told me it's 1/2" NPT as well. the mounting holes are M8 x 1.25mm. that makes more sense.

where did you get the oil restrictor from? is it the same as the one that used to be made by a member here?

and what size line are you using for the feed?

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
restrictors were sold by a forum member for a while here, but they were made to thread inline with the stock lines. I need a new line, and I think the stock 300Z lines work great for T3 setups on the SR20 motor. Same block connection and turbine connection. Check into those. The restrictor shoule work then.

Brent

·
No soup for you
2,266 Posts
Or you could run a -3 line to the turbo w/ no restrictor and be fine.

John

·
Tired!
10,149 Posts
A thinner line will restrict flow enough to where you won't need a restrictor. I have a -3AN line feeding my T3 with no problems.

Brent

Brent

·
BIG-NUTTED Classic
1,657 Posts

As far as how long of a line you need...depends on where you splice in. I'm running a remote oil filter so I spliced into the line after the remote oil filter (for cleaner, cooler oil).

...it's -3 in the pic.

laterz...Jody

·
Registered
724 Posts
sonnypippo said:
how long of a return line did you use?
From the Oil Sending unit outlet to the turbo (coming from the side where the belts are) I used a 44" line fit perfectly.

Edit: I read it wrong the 44" line is for the feed. My return line length is about 20" 1/2 hose.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Proj- thanks. did run the line around the valve cover like 1fastser did? the sending unit is located right under the filter right?

edit: the length you posted was for the feed line.

how long is your return line?

·
Back down to one SR20
2,055 Posts
Ok guys I have a question. I had the T28 setup with all the parts listed in the T28 oil feed FAQ. But now I'm upgrading to a T4/T3. Both use different oil inlet adapters, so after reading this post I need a -3AN to 1/8" NPT for it to work right?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
-3 AN line for the feed
1/8" NPT for the turbo inlet.
1/2" NPT for the outlet drain flange

i checked last night and it looks like the mounting holes for the drain flange are actually M10 x 1.5mm

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
i guess it depends on how you want to set it up and what material you want to use. from what i gather, these are the general parts you will need:

feed:
nissport adapter
1/8" NPT to -3 AN adapter (2)
-3 AN brake line with elbow fittings, 36" - 44" long

anplumbing.com sells the adapters in aluminum or stainless, along with pre-assembled speed-flex brake hoses. not sure what the fittings are made out of though.

return:
T3 oil drain flange, 1/2" NPT
1/2" NPT to barb hose adapter (2)
1/2" (or whatever fits the adapter you're using) SAE fuel hose, 18" - 24" long
M10 x 1.5mm screws to mount flange

if anyone has any corrections or more specific information, please add. for the return, you could probably use different adapters to set up a braided return line, but fuel hose is the simplest/cheapest option.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts