SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to pick up my car the other day and i went a block when i heard a loud ping, then the engine started to squiel. I went about a 500 feet before my engine shut off, I had lost all my oil down the street and the oil filter had blown off. I screwed it back on tight and filled it back up, 20ft down the road it happened again. So I got a new filter and it hasnt happened since. but 2 days ago my car started pouring out white smoke. so im thinking it blew a head gasket. theres no oil in the coolent though. The oil filter thing though... should i be worried about that, could it have just been a bad filter or do i need a new engine? also what would u say in looking at$$$ as far as fixing the head gasket?

I have a sr20det turbo

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Is it an actual jdm det? Did you/they put a B14 filter on it? If so thats your problem. The filter threads are different and the later ones will blow off.

Where did you pick the car up from? If it was a shop they might be responsible for the damage. Its a gray area though if wasn't the original engine they might not have known.

Next step is to do a compression test and see if you indeed have any head gasket problems.

·
No D E T.
1,436 Posts
10:1 says its a lowport oil filter on a BB turbo motor.

as panx2k&se-r meantioned

hope your engine is okay.. get the correct oil filter asap, get one for a 91-93 se-r!

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
This happened to me a while back. I was sold a low port filter for my high port motor. It caused my motor to rod knock. Did you buy the filter at Nissan or a Auto Parts store? Also did you get the filter yourself or did the person behind the counter give you the filter? If so they are extremely responsible for your motor if anything is wrong with it.

When this happend to me the guy behind the counter gave me the wrong filter. The next day I went to the Nissan dealer and I asked for a filter for my car. I took the filter that popped off and I compared the two and they were different. I ended up getting a free motor swap from Nissan. I had to buy the motor because I was at partial blame for not noticing the filter was the wrong one. Trust me its almost all their fault. You were the customer you asked for a product and they gave you the wrong one. I hope this is how it went.

Also if they did the oil change for you. Its open game on them!!! In that case they are completely responsible!

·
SNAIL SQUAD
10,271 Posts
SE-Rican said:
This happened to me a while back. I was sold a low port filter for my high port motor. It caused my motor to rod knock. Did you buy the filter at Nissan or a Auto Parts store? Also did you get the filter yourself or did the person behind the counter give you the filter? If so they are extremely responsible for your motor if anything is wrong with it.

When this happend to me the guy behind the counter gave me the wrong filter. The next day I went to the Nissan dealer and I asked for a filter for my car. I took the filter that popped off and I compared the two and they were different. I ended up getting a free motor swap from Nissan. I had to buy the motor because I was at partial blame for not noticing the filter was the wrong one. Trust me its almost all their fault. You were the customer you asked for a product and they gave you the wrong one. I hope this is how it went.

Also if they did the oil change for you. Its open game on them!!! In that case they are completely responsible!

:edit: Damn I overlooked the fact that you have a 200sx with a DET in it :( Goodluck though. :edit:

·
Mr.200SX @ the dash
1,679 Posts
This same thing happened to me today at the dyno the seal in the filter just poped out! oil went everywhere I have a B14 with the Sr20DET bluebird swap then from what i'm reading I need the lowport filter instead of the highport which originally comes from the stock Sr20DE motor.

·
The ELITE NX2k Bredren!
5,150 Posts
Thats why I stick with the OEM filters. They have the engine that they are meant to go on printed on the box. Plus they are the best. Start buying OEM and you shouldnt have that problem. Even if you cant read, they are color coded for you!

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
NissanSer54 said:
I have a B14 with the Sr20DET bluebird swap then from what i'm reading I need the lowport filter instead of the highport which originally comes from the stock Sr20DE motor.
The motor that was originally in your car was a lowport.

The motor that is in your car now is a highport.

You now need an oil filter from a highport car, the 91-93 SE-R.

You probably went to the store and got an oil filter for your model car, a 96 SE-R, which is a lowport. The hole in the lowport filter is slightly larger. Because of this, a lowport filter will appear to properly fit on a highport motor, but the filter is actually loose. You cannot fit a highport oil filter on a lowport motor.

·
Mr.200SX @ the dash
1,679 Posts
Now after that happened i found out now I have the filter I need for my motor.. I compared them and yeah BIG difference!

·
8,148 Posts
Happened to Roll Mod L. Cost him a totally rebuilt motor. I was there. Nasty sight.

·
Registered
361 Posts
as far as checking for a blown head gasket, you stated there is no oil in the coolant, when checking for blown gasket you should look to see if there is any coolant in your oil not the other way around, pull the oil cap off, usually it will look like a milky film, usually shows up on the bottom of the cap

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
If you went to a dealer or parts store and asked for an oil filter for a 200sx, then they gave you the right one. It will be hard to try and put the blame on anyone when you dont have the original motor that came with that car. Good luck though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts