SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it matters a little.... Because some of the cheaper ones like Fram dont have the anti-drainback valve. But that mainly affects your oil pressure at startup, which directly affects the valve train noise at start up. My assumption has been that the clatter comes directly from the use of syntheic oil. Almost everyone that has clatter uses some form of it. Where as the ones with no clatter, usualy use dyno oil. I dont have any clatter and use dyno oil. Its not a total proven point tho. Naji did a little survey a while back on this. And if i remember correctly the trend showed that it was related to the syntetic oil. It doesnt hurt it but is anoying, kinda like starter squeel.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Did you know that K&N makes oil filters?
They are pretty Pricy though. I used to run them in my delSol VTEC.

------------------
Daniel K
93 NX2000 w/ intake and more to come!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
That's actually what I've run in every car I've owned since they hit the market-K&N oil filters(I also have run either Redline or Mobil 1 in my cars, too). Personally, I don't think it makes a difference in the SE-R, because the filter is actually mounted sideways on the block, so the anti-drainback feature is moot. It is a pain in the ass to get that filter out though(stock one, at least)-but the K&N has that 1/2" "nut' on the top of the filter, which makes install and removal easy.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm over this oil filter crap. I've had my Sentra SE for a year now (13K mi) and it's always tapped for a second or two after it's been off either overnight or for a few hours. I've used OEM, Fram, Mobil 1, Purolator, Fram tough guard. I always use Mobil One synthetic. The tapping never changes regardless of filter used. I've done the research, heard the opinions, and I just don't think it really matters what type of filter you use, as long as it's a recognized name brand.

Thoughts or opinions?

G

·
0 Posts
I've heard the synthetic oil argument before, but I've had this startup noise since the SE and my frontier (3.3L) were new - dino oil. Agree that it probably won't hurt much in the long run, but you're right, it's a pain in the butt. I've had the starter squeal too.

thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Really, I think buying Synthetic oil is more of a "peace of mind" purchase-It might not improve your performance, but it's nice to have it "just in case". I want to know who the idiot was who designed the filter positioning on the SR20DE...Was that an afterthought or soemthing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts