SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was at a Autozone store looking at oil filters. I compared the Mobil 1,the Bosch and an STP. All 3 of them had identical cases and from what I could see identical internals. The all had the same pressure relief valve inside and the same metal mesh that you could see from the top. The bases were identical as were the gaskets. Does anyone know if there is truly a difference between them? The Bosch sold for $5.99 and the Mobil 1 was $12.99. I don't know what the STP went for.

------------------
93 NX2000 auto, advanced timing, Hiper Flow POP filter, new motor mounts, 99k miles.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The main differences are the quality of the material and the ability to properly filter the oil. This means the number of folds that the filter medium is made up of, as well as the length of each fold. You basically want a large amount of surface area to clean the oil. This is why the Mobil 1 and PureOne filters are so good.

There used to be a big thing about the differences in the oil filters online. It was done by some guys on the se-r.net mailing list. It was very interesting. I believe they thought that the Mobil 1 and Nissan filters were the better ones. They didn't do the PureOne, but the consensus has been that they are of the best. That is my choice FWIW.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to Wal-Mart tonight and looked at their brand filter. It looked the same as the ones mentioned above. It also only cost $1.97 The distinguishing marks on all of them were as follows.

1. The were stamped with AA on the base.
2. The spring inside looked the same on all of them.
3. The area under the outer holes was shapped the same on all of them.
4. The gasket was an O ring type on all of them.
5. The metal mesh inside had the same size holes on all of them.
6. The outer dimensions were the same on all of them.

If they all have the identical cases isn't it likely that they have the same internals? Can someone that has a Pur-One or a Nissan filter tell me if it has the AA stamp on it and if the internal springs looks the same as the one in the pic?

------------------
93 NX2000 auto, advanced timing, Hiper Flow POP filter, new motor mounts, 99k miles.

[This message has been edited by keithert (edited 10-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by keithert (edited 10-14-2001).]

·
Registered
513 Posts
Trust me, not all oil filters are created the same. That stamp doesn't mean jack. That oil filter study I talked about earlier proved it. They actually took apart the filters. The quality was noticably different. Also, the actual makeup of each filter is different. That is what I meant by variety in the folds, etc. This is why it's best to just go for the nissan, Pureone, or mobil 1.

FWIW, I believe that the walmart brand filters are made by Fram. Fram does not make a very good oil filter. All tests I've seen prove that they are one of the worst by far. For instance, there are several cases where the glue inside comes loose and the filter medium actually comes apart! I believe one person even said that it caused major probs with the motor!

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, nissan, mobil1, or purolator, are all good. purolator makes the filters for subaru (for sure) and think they make them for nissan as well

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
do not waste your money on after market filters, just use the OEM filter. It is the best.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
163 hp, 124 lb-ft torque
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

P

·
0 Posts
hey man, cut them open and you will see a big difference. as far as standard filters goes nothing, and i mean nothing not the toyota equillivent nothing compares with the genuine nissan oil filter, they are made for your engine, made for the fact that you have a timing chain, made for the fact that you have a delicate cam oiling system, they are the best for your engine in all the conditions possibly encountered by your car. that said i use K&N oil filters on my own engine due to the fact that they are suited more to the higher volume oil pumps but yeah on a std engine i would definatly be using a genuine filter over anything else.
have some fun man buy one a week then cut them open for a look then tell us what you find eh.
chris

------------------
primeras its where its at.

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
Originally posted by nj1266:
do not waste your money on after market filters, just use the OEM filter. It is the best.

I think this is true for the B14s and Up. The B13 best filter is the mobil one, I just did an oil change yesterday, and that mobil filter was $11..Ouch!

·
Get Some!!
596 Posts
you know, Fram has been in the business for a LONG time and I think they're Extra Guard filters are pretty good.

Check this out: my car had been sitting for two days so I figured it would be a good day to change the oil. I either use a Mobil 1 or Fram extra guard filter and always use Mobil 1 oil. After changing it this time, I didn't have the usual timing chain clatter from my tensioner. Weird, huh? I haven't had it in 3 starts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts