SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok got my car back from my mechanic, he had changed the old VC gasket which was leaking and resealed the oil pan which I was told was leaking. He discovered that it was only the VC that had leaked. Brought the car home the next morning there is a medium size puddle of oil on the ground, I cant rally tell where its leaking from due to the fact that the block is already oily from the previous leak. I had to move the car so I just pushed it, the next day again there is a medium size puddle of oil. Would the VC leak enough while he car is sitting to cause a puddle or must it be comming from some where else?

If any one has any advise on figuring location of a oil leak please let me know.

TIA

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
I valve cover isn't going to leak much with the car off. Its probably coming from the pan. I would clean off the engine and try to spot where its coming from.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I went out and wiped the pan and side of the block off alittle, still cant see where it may have come from. I think the previous valve cover had been seping for years. I did however find a 12mm bolt just above the pan on the passanger side of the block (front) that was loose. It is a bolt just behind the lower run of the A/C belt, Id say its about 1/2-1inch above the oil pan. Could this be a source for a oil leak? I also think that the mechanic put 4qts in which I know is over the factory set capacity. I checked the oil level with the motor cold and warm and both times it read up on the hot line on the dip stick. I moved the car and will check in a few hours for leakage.

Thanks for the repies and any future replies.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nope....still leaking

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Check your oil pressure switch. It is located on the back side of your oil filter bracket. And it is way up in there. Those are known to leak. You will see the oil seaping down the back side of your oil pan.

Good luck!

·
Registered
381 Posts
on my old 91 se-r the oil pan leaked even after changing the gasket. i later found out it was the oil pressure switch.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
NismoPC said:
Check your oil pressure switch. It is located on the back side of your oil filter bracket. And it is way up in there. Those are known to leak. You will see the oil seaping down the back side of your oil pan.

Good luck!
I know any type of leak isn't good, but my oil bracket housing is leaking right by the oil pressure sensor and needs to be changed, I can't see any easy way to change it, and the shop wants about 175 to change it. I been driving for six months like this, with no oil light coming on, and very little oil is leaking... is it worth paying 175 to fix at the monent or do u guys know of an easy way to change the housing? :(

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Erikbronx said:
I know any type of leak isn't good, but my oil bracket housing is leaking right by the oil pressure sensor and needs to be changed, I can't see any easy way to change it, and the shop wants about 175 to change it. I been driving for six months like this, with no oil light coming on, and very little oil is leaking... is it worth paying 175 to fix at the monent or do u guys know of an easy way to change the housing? :(
Before doing that, clean all the oil under there, replace the oil pressure switch then drive it around for a few days. That oil you see might be coming from the switch.

I had to replace my oil filter bracket and it is not a fun deal. Don't ask, just see:

http://nismopc.tripod.com/oil_switch.htm (scroll to bottom)

But I can guarantee you that it would be very odd for that bracket to be leaking the way it is on there. Very secure. There are 2 O-rings that seal it and I highly doubt they are leaking.

Do the switch first, then decide if it's really the bracket.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
NismoPC said:
Before doing that, clean all the oil under there, replace the oil pressure switch then drive it around for a few days. That oil you see might be coming from the switch.

I had to replace my oil filter bracket and it is not a fun deal. Don't ask, just see:

http://nismopc.tripod.com/oil_switch.htm (scroll to bottom)

But I can guarantee you that it would be very odd for that bracket to be leaking the way it is on there. Very secure. There are 2 O-rings that seal it and I highly doubt they are leaking.

Do the switch first, then decide if it's really the bracket.
I wish it was only the sensor... but when I did the swap last summer, I over tightened the sensor into the bracket, and it cracked... stupid me. So nowe I have to swap it. I saw ur site before too, it helped me out alot, showed me where to get the rings required etc. But what is the easy way to swap the housing? TIA!!!

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
There is no easy way. You need to remove the power steering pump to get to the bracket. That is not a fun job.

I would not want to ever do it again unless the engine was literally out of the car. I'd rather drop 15 trannies and replace the clutches than do his again.

What would probably help a lot is if you can get the car as high as possible off the ground. Even if you had access to a lift. I used car ramps and it was just a tight as fit to work under there.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hey, I think I'm having this problem now too. I will take a good look this weekend at it. It seems like my problem. I just wish it was a week sooner when my water pump seized and had to be replaced. (nothing in water pump replacement would do to cause an oil leak right?) But Just wondering if a good simple green and spot water cleanning is going to hurt anything over there? B4 I got crazy with the water bottle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts