SR20 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently pulled the Autolites out of the car to replace with NGK's. (I know. Autolites...WHY?) Anyhow, the Autolites have about 4,000 miles on them. The electrodes and insulator look great. Very clean, etc. They look practically brand new.

Problem: There was oil on the threads of the plugs. All four plugs. There was no oil on the electrodes, insulator, within the plug canals, or near the rocker gasket. Only on the actually plug threads.

Any idea's?? I do not think I should be concerned, but just need some more ideas to why it happened.

Oh, I also just replaced my PVC due to it being completely clogged and the valve was stuck.

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees, custom 2.25" Borla cat-back exhaust)

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteSER:
Probably some bad plug gaskets. They are cheap, like $1.35 each? Pull the valve cover off and replace the gaskets.</font>
Actually, just replaced the rocker gaskets about the same time. 4,000 miles ago when I did the 91 intake cam swap.

So it can't be that. There was no oil on the wires, just the threads of the plugs themselves.

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees, custom 2.25" Borla cat-back exhaust)

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
there is a gasket for the valve cover and then individual ones for the spark plug holes as well.

Did you only replace the vavle cover gasket perhaps?

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced both gaskets. The rocker cover gasket and the plug gasket. The plug gasket is a one piece gasket, not individual gaskets per hole. The two came as a kit directly from the dealer.

Here is the thing. There is NO oil inside the four chambers, canals, tubes, whatever you want to call them where the wires are inserted. There is NO oil on the wires themselves. So the oil is not leaking from the gaskets.

------------------
Brandon

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
From what you said, I don't think it is a problem. No smoke? If there is no smoke and no oil on the plug (the parts inside the cylinder), then I wouldn't worry about it.

Do you think someone might have used oil instead of antiseize compound on the plug threads?

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacen99SE:
Do you think someone might have used oil instead of antiseize compound on the plug threads?</font>
No smoke.

Hey Jason, these are the cheap Autolites you and I picked up at Advance Auto when we installed the cam. I finally got around to replacing them.

This was fresh oil. Didn't even look discolored. Funny thing is I changed my oil about 3000 miles ago and it's do again.

------------------
Brandon

·
Registered
858 Posts
mine are like this too. no problems though.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header, ACT HDS/S clutch,PR CAI with POPchgr,2 1/2"OD test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4"ID superturbo ex., ZEX flywheel & JW 50 shot nos with 60 shot jet. and much more goodies!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts