SR20 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want an oil pressure gague. Who has one? What is a good one? Where did you get it? How hard/long was it to install? Where did you mount it? Did you hook up a warning light to it?

I have a cage, so an A-pillar mount may be out.

·
Side by side through 9
719 Posts
I have one, a remiander from when I was turboed. It's an Autopower. I ran a T from the oil pressure sending unit to it. It used to be on the A-Pillar, but I too have a cage and it's now where my radio sed to be. You can also put it in the cubby hole where the factory CD player goes.

Not too hard to install, just use copper line instaed of the nylon that comes with it (pick it up at Home Depot). I think it took me about an hour to an hour and a half (took my time as to not kink the copper line).

I find it indespensable on the track. After a day or high rpm running, my car has a tendancy to loose some oil. Being down just 1/2 a quart will allow a little oil starvation on long right handed turns (Willow Springs' turn 2 is a good example), and oil pressure will drop from 80psi to the 30-40 range. Running an extra 1/2 quart will ensure I never see a dip in pressure.

I want to figure out how to make a baffled oil pan for the car.

Good luck!

Tom

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you ever run your car on a high banked oval? I have a chance to run a few times at Charlotte Motor Speedway this year (They haven't paid ME to call it Lowe's yet) and I am wodering if the banking is going to cause an oil starvation issue. That would suck like something that sucks very much indeed.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Remember to NEVER put a "T" right on the oil pressure sending unit. This will put too much weight too far out from the block and it *will* crack and fall off....it is just a matter of time. I have seen and heard of it happening a lot. It is better to attach a steel braided line or Nylon tube right to the block and then attach a "T" on the firewall. This will take all the strain off the fitting. You will never spring an oil leak this way.

By the way, the thread pitch for the fitting needs to be 1/8" BSPT, not 1/8" NPT!

·
ClamSlut
5,043 Posts
Remember to NEVER put a "T" right on the oil pressure sending unit. This will put too much weight too far out from the block and it *will* crack and fall off....it is just a matter of time. I have seen and heard of it happening a lot. It is better to attach a steel braided line or Nylon tube right to the block and then attach a "T" on the firewall. This will take all the strain off the fitting. You will never spring an oil leak this way.

By the way, the thread pitch for the fitting needs to be 1/8" BSPT, not 1/8" NPT!
I'll second that. One of my old roommates had that experience with his '89 civic with a B18. He used one of these neat BSPT to NPT adapters when he redid it correctly.

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
What is BSPT and where do yo uget it? And where can you get a steel braded line for the relocation of the T? Please help me out....

~Ryan

·
ClamSlut
5,043 Posts
What is BSPT and where do yo uget it? And where can you get a steel braded line for the relocation of the T? Please help me out....

BSPT is British Standard Pipe Taper, NPT is National Pipe Taper, they're just different specs for the threads. For the steel braided lines try a racing store, they should carry them. Earl's is a good brand, you can order it from Summit at good prices. You may discover that its alot easier to get fittings in NPT and not BSPT, that adapter pictured above can solve that problem. Its availible from z-10 engineering and is made specifically for this application.

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
Can you get ends for the steel braided lines that would screw into the block and screw into the "T", they would both be male ends I believe.....My problem is my oil pressure sending unit is NPT I think and so I'd need to have an adaptor for the dummy light oil pressure thingy, and one end in 1/8npt(male) and one 1/8bspt(female)...and I suppose I'd have to rig up some kind of bracket to screw the T to the firewall....also, do they make ends that you can put on the steel braded lines, 1 1/8npt and one 1/8bspt?....any thoughts?

~Ryan

·
ClamSlut
5,043 Posts
If you have a good shop near you these problems should not be an issue for them. You can get just about any kinds of ends you want for the hoses. There tons of companies out there that make adapters for just about any type of fitting. Just talk to your local shop and they should be able to set you up.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
I had a cheap AutoZone T fitting and extension pipe that broke on my way home from the '00 convention. Ben Rockwell was with me and he said that his company makes a T fitting that is stronger. I've been using it for almost a year now, and I haven't had any problems. *Knock on wood* The problem with the other pipe, was it was thin brass. Ben's kit uses steal pipe and fittings. There's not much of an extension to it at all. I also zip ties the pressure sender to the brace on the back of the intake manifold for support.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts