SR20 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question? can i run the oil return line into the catch can return line fitting on the block since the fmax manifold places the turbo almost right over the catch can return fitting.

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
I am pretty sure that line is baffled inside the block. The turbo drain line should be completely unrestricted because for one thing it just drains by gravity and you don't want it backing up which would choke the turbo bearing. I am sure that line was considered by F-max, Redline, Hotshot, etc and there is probably other big reasons why it cannot be used. Just bite the bullet like me drop the pans and drill that sucker. :)

Take your time and you'll be fine. Although I will add, it was by far the scariest thing I have had to do on my install so far.

Good Luck.

G

·
You are looking for an alternative to performing surgery on the block? There really isn't a better
solution than what Nissan did, you just can't
get a direct gravity fed path anywhere else.

Don't worry about drilling the block, it's
actually pretty easy because the aluminum is so
soft. If you haven't tapped before, you need
to find a piece of scrap aluminum to practice
on first! Things to watch out for are drilling a true hole (not oval from a wandering bit) and tapping slowly and carefully to not break the newly formed threads. You only need to tap 4-5 threads in. Also, use plenty of WD40 as cutting oil and for cleaning out the shavings.

Lemme know if you have any more ???s

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I have a question, I am definately going to Turbo my DE but me being the person that I am, I like to get as much info as possible before I go out and do this. And one thing that I have not been able to get a clear picture of, is where you're supposed to drill a hole in the block. Does anybody have a pic that they can post up? TIA

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
Does anybody have a pic that they can post up?
This is a descent picture:

You might want to check here as well for a detailed documentation of installing a turbo kit.

-saaby

·
Power to spare...
979 Posts
Here's mine.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Another Q

Hey have any of you guys running a t25 or t28 setup thought about getting a 45 degree angle fitting for that hole in the block so the hose barb part is pointing a little more straight up?

I was wondering if this was possible or if there isn't enough room in there for it.

Hoe long of a peice of hos is there between the tubo outlet and the inlet to the pan there?

Anyway thanks for the replies
Rick

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hey, does anyone know what those two torque nuts are for. The two I'm talking about are right under (I'm guessing here) cylinder #1. You can see them (the rusted ones) in the first pic.

G

·
Rocketman,

Most of the turbos have an oil return outlet that points at ~45 degree angle to your typical straight barb coming off the block. A 3-4" section of flexible hose is used and is just bent to make it fit.

You'll want to get some high temp rubber hose.
Try www.pegasusautoracing.com Wrap it with some heat insulating tape for extra protection and you are good to go.

·
Registered
312 Posts
sweet thanks nxturbo i appreciate it. I did not realize it needed to be high temp stuff :eek:

Trying to get all the info and parts together that i will need to put my t25 setup on my DE

Thanks Again
Rick

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Here's mine! (when I had a 35mm camera and a scanner, before I had a digital camera)

inside:

Here's a great pic of the oil return line from my (oily) T25 to my block:

Just to reiterate I have the correct size drill and tap for anyone to borrow for the cost of shipping. 3 people I think have borrowed it already.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts