SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SE-R withdrawal
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving a '91 SE-R and have noticed it's reluctance to shift all the way into reverse, even in warm weather. Everyone I talk to says, "Get Redline MT90 transmission oil". Ok great.

Let's suppose I have the oil here right now (which I do not). How do I change it?

G

·
MT...Drain fluid...put drain nut back in.....take off filler nut (driver's side)....fill until fluid is level with fill hole. Letting it spill is the best way to know, also make sure your car is level. Recommended stock is GL-4 fluid. Also check for debree when draining fluid, of course, you don't want anything big.

G

·
The drain plug is the lowest nut on the transmission. A 3/8 drive ratchet will get it off. The fill plug looks just like it but smaller. Its so simple its pathetic. I went kamakazi and used Mobil1 synthetic GL-5.
I like playing with fire, though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
aha ha ha aahh! ...um...I need help too...

[This message has been edited by norurb (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
SE-R.net talks about the various fluids:
http://www.se-r.net/transaxle_clutch/redline.html

The drain plug is low and back on the tranny, facing the driver's side. It's removed by inserting a 1/2" drive ratchet (or breaker bar, if space allows) directly into the plug. It's magnetic, so don't forget to clean off the metal shavings on the inside of the plug once you get it out.

The filler hole is far down into the engine bay, so you'll have to get a special tranny funnel with built-in tube (most auto places carry them), or rig up something similar.

Tranny fluid is thick and really rank - keep it off your good clothes.

G

·
Tranny fluid reeks of all havoc!!!!
Man , the smell was stuck in my nostrils for days!!! Pep boys has a blue funel with a long extension for like 5 bucks.
Oh yeah, it is a 1/2 inch ratchet.
Dont undo the filler plug first and then the drain plug!!!!! The Transmission oil will come rushing out quicker then Burger Kings fries go outta style!!

G

·
Do you guys have any ideas how to get a stuck transmission bolt out? We're talking really stuck, as it stripped to the point that nothing will fit in there.

I've never opened the tranny, but what if I loosed all the bolts enough to let the fluid drain out. What I be hurting anything opening it attached to the car?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Hmm, you could take the case off I guess. The case bolts come off and then you have to take that little "cap" off the end and take out the snap ring and THEN it's free. Figured it out the hard way- no FSM. "Man, we got all the bolts off, why won't this thing come off???"

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO and crashed 93 NX2000

1 - 9 of 9 Posts