SR20 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
clutch and tranny install with power tools on a classic...?

im trying to avoid paying labor from a shop

·
love the Florida sun!!
1,906 Posts
very easy to do ...i changed out my clutch in about 3 hours total by myself ....when 1st doing it , it may take you long, but after some practice it gets easier...just remember that if you don't resurface the flywheel mating surface at least use some 80 grit sandpaper and also remember to use high temp grease and grease the hell out the TOB shaft.

A transmission jack will make things go smoother, i just used a hand jack to jack the tranny spline into place, just don't install the spline half ass and let it hang for any reason. you could screw up the clutch .....

be sue to have some cold beer for afterwards....GL

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is the clutch install pretty straight forward if i get a shop to resurface the flywheel ?

·
"Keep firing, Assholes!"
796 Posts
is the clutch install pretty straight forward if i get a shop to resurface the flywheel ?
yeah, it's pretty simple. just pay attention to how it comes apart and you won't have any problems. i've taken sr tranny's off more times than i can recall at the moment and it really is a lot easier than you may think. i'd give it a 5 or 6 as well.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my friends dad is a mechanic and has a program that has how to install anything for my car

im just trying to get this done right the first time yet avoid the $500 the shop wants to do the work

·
The Boost Bear..Rawr!
3,055 Posts
Do it yourself (Don't pay labor). It will take a few hours, even with a "Weekend Warrior" mechanic. Just make sure you don't lose any bolts, or have any left over. With a few friends, I'd say it's a 5-6. Just have fun, pay attention, and learn.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I know the trans jack was a good invesment for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just did mine in my b14. It wasn't too fun, but I did it by myself. Nothing particularlly hard, worst part is probably removing the axles. Is there a way to do it without popping the ball joint and taking the strut loose from the spindle?

It took me 2 days, working about 2-3 hours each day.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
3 hour job with experience, depends how tough the bolts want to be

but never rush a job, take your time, and remove what u can to get to what you need, youll bruise less knuckles that way, so if it takes a whole day, who cares.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just did mine in my b14. It wasn't too fun, but I did it by myself. Nothing particularlly hard, worst part is probably removing the axles. Is there a way to do it without popping the ball joint and taking the strut loose from the spindle?

It took me 2 days, working about 2-3 hours each day.
its actually in my classic

maybe itll be easier

·
working on it
3,781 Posts
Is there a way to do it without popping the ball joint and taking the strut loose from the spindle?
You don't need to do both. I just drop it at the strut. Some people drop it at the ball joint instead, but I've never tried it that way.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
i give it a 5, after you take the battery tray out take some time and look at everything connected, get a good idea of where things are and why they are bolted there and it may help to have a sectional tray like froma tool box to keep certain bolts in groups

2 tips

leave the driver side axel in the tranny and just roll the tranny out on a floor jack with the axel.

if you do that tape up the axel end or cover it so it doesnt scrape the ground.

i did it my first time in about.... 2 hours but i had just put the motor in the car (i didnt put a new TOB in , stpuid me)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts