SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got under the car the other day to drain the mineral oil out of the manual transmission (time for synthetic). Wasn't able to loosen the drain nut. I even tried an 18" breaker bar. Any ideas? WD40 didn't seem to help - perhaps because it is a recessed nut and the oil can't seep in the threads. Local dealer says they are willing to try but they want 1 hour labor ($75!!).

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
LOL! The title didn't sound right! :)

Anyhow, go to any local mechanic and ask him/her to just loosen up both plugs for you. I'm sure they won't charge you anything more than $10 for the effort.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
depends on the shop. If you are a good customer, they may do it for free or very cheap, like $10. Many shops have minimum charges though, because in reality, it just is not feasible to do 5 minute jobs and charge for 5 minutes work.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hmmm, applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
Mythbusters busted that nail scenario a few weeks back. Pb blaster has worked well for me in the past. Spray it on, let it soak in... do this for a couple of days, you don't want the bolt to break off.

I live in Florida, what's a frozen nut?

Peace,
Mark

·
Registered
596 Posts
vladha said:
I live in Florida, what's a frozen nut?
do squats over a tub of ice water :confused: :eek: ;)

I second the PB Blaster or Gunk Liquid Wrench.

I was able to loosen mine with a regular 1/2" drive rachet and a rubber mallet. Apply downward force on the rachet with one hand while pounding the rachet with the rubber mallet. Careful not to hit your pinky. ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I agree just use a larger hammer if the little one doesnt work

·
and the Blackhearts.
850 Posts
ha ha this reminds me of the time I sheared a half inch drive ratchet (thank for craftsman) while trying to break my axle nut loose. Later during that same episode I got a bigger breaker bar and sheared the head right off another bolt.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I believe you have a frozen recessed bolt, not a nut...good luck with your bolt, amputate your nut before the infection spreads ;)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
LMAO!! great thread title!! I hope everything works out.

·
just workin'
1,345 Posts
pb blaster and i agree with the hammer trick, sometimes the pb just isn't enough

·
Pâté Performance...
1,274 Posts
Here in Hawaii I never froze my nuts...but this one winter back in NY it was sooo cold............ :eek: :eek: :tongue:

·
Whut?That Ain't No Hondah
2,558 Posts
jrbump said:
ha ha this reminds me of the time I sheared a half inch drive ratchet (thank for craftsman) while trying to break my axle nut loose. Later during that same episode I got a bigger breaker bar and sheared the head right off another bolt.
We sheared a 1/2" drive impact socket trying to losen the fill plug on a tranny once... craftsman as well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts