SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The timing chain is positioned vertically on the side of the engine so falling off is not a factor- it can't go anywhere. The tensioner only moves it a little way anyhow- it's never really that loose. Changing the tensioner is relatively easy, although the ABS hardware gets in the way if you have it. It helps to have small hands.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Thats what Im talking about. It droping off the bottom of the cranky sproket. I dont know never cracked the valve cover. How tight is the chain without the tensioner? I can see that being the reason tho. The top is just fine, gravity working on our side there. But the bottom would seem to fall loose from the crank unless the chain is tight. Im sure if I asked this on the list I would get a bunch of **** from people tho or check the archives, which would turn up 100000000 hits for anything that I would search for. Timing chain tensioner probaly wouldnt do very well on a search im sure

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since the chain is vertical it would only droop straight down- when the tensioner is reinstalled it would pull the chain straight back up against the bottom sprocket.

·
Registered
466 Posts
To replace the tensioner, you have to pull the motor, zip tie the chain to the sprockets, then with one hand, and only one hand hold the chain to the crank sprocket.

Actually, just pull the old one out, put the new one in, and turn the motor by hand and release the hook on the tensioner. The bolts that hold the tensioner to the block are 10mm, and the crank bolt is 27mm.

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Ok Ive wondered this for a while. When you go to change your timing chain tensioner, how does the timing chain not fall off the crank teeth? Its in there to keep the chain tight and lined up right? When you release that tension on the chain, why doesnt if tall off the lower crank teeth? Last time I read on how to do it, it never said one thing about worrying about the chain skipping teeth. I think I may get a new one here pretty soon just as the 160,000 miles comes up. Figure a big ass tune up is in need.

------------------
Thats my opinion and I could be wrong

93 classic
Aztec Red, Automatic, POP, STB, OEC battery tie down, AD22VF's, Pirelli P4000's

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
more of me posting

I think it's because the tensioner is there to do just that- keep an amount of tension on the chain. I think the thing is tight enough on the sprockets without the tensioner to hold it in place, but not tight enough to keep in on there when running.

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts