SR20 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are the sr20's conciderd an open deck desining ? and what makes an open deck is it the sleves and water jackits layout ?

[This message has been edited by Nick (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Its all in the way the oxygen is absorbed into the trans-quadrupiler after it passes the tweedle pins. The more tweedle pins the better.

Im sorry. I just have no idea what you are talkin about, so I thought I would be a wise ass. Dont hate me!

-jason

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
sr20's arn't open deck blocks. look at a pic of a sr20 block and a honda block and you'll see the differance.i have pic's in hear somewhere but can't find the damn things.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah....what he said. SR20 blocks are sand cast and that is why they can handle like 20-22psi of boost with a stock bottom end and Honda's can only sustain like at the most, 10-12psi if you wanna push it. The new SE-R with the 2.5 liter engine has an open deck design so it will be interesting to see what is up with boosting it. All I can say is that it looks more like a Honda engine than an SR20. IMO. Don't kill me people! I would like a better explanation if anyone can give me one as to how the process differ from like sand cast to whatever. I have been told that an open deck is for standard molds and it's how they lift the block out of the mold. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that. Just what I had heard.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
I do not know how they make the blocks. But I know that the SR20 is a closed deck. If you look in the SCC where Mike K. talks about "all motor maddness" you will see a lot of pics of open deck Honda (wimpy) engines. Closed deck is built like a tank. But it is very poor at passing emissions. The open deck is much cleaner with emissions due to the fact that the cylinder is surrounded by water jackets that cool the engine down and reduce "bad" emissions.

The new QR is open deck and has a very long stroke. It is not square like the SR20 or even the new RSX-S engine. Overall I like the sr20 way more than the "truckish" QR engine.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Look at a pic of each and the nissan bores are connected to the surface the head and gasket go on. The honda bores are not.You can see where there is a open gap around the bore to much boost and it moves around badddd! news.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is a stock Honda open-deck block:

And this is a modded Honda block, the SR20 would look like this:

·
Registered
513 Posts
The difference in manufacturing is that the sr20 is sand cast. To allow for the error in this process extra material was factored in to compensate. So, not only do you end up with a closed deck, but a beefed up one at that. The honda and qr25de decks are die cast. In this process, the molded material must slide off of the die somehow. So, they must make it open deck. This process is significantly cheaper for the manufacturer after the initial startup cost of the die.

Damn, I guess you do learn stuff in these engineering courses

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nj1266:
Closed deck is built like a tank. But it is very poor at passing emissions. The open deck is much cleaner with emissions due to the fact that the cylinder is surrounded by water jackets that cool the engine down and reduce "bad" emissions.</font>
LOL

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The new QR is open deck and has a very long stroke. It is not square like the SR20 or even the new RSX-S engine. Overall I like the sr20 way more than the "truckish" QR engine.
</font>
LOL

What is "truckish" about the engine? The stroke? MANY performance engines are strokers. Damn, every rev happy engine in Honda's fleet is a big time stroker.

How about a stroked 408 Ford smallblock that revs 8000rpm and begs for more.

What a joke naji...drive it first before you slam it.

Your such a negative person...sheesh.

------------------
Jay Hassinger
B14 Turbo 409whp (Sold)
91 TSi 11.80's for under 5 grand including the car.

[This message has been edited by Jay Hass (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What is "truckish" about the engine? The stroke? MANY performance engines are strokers. Damn, every rev happy engine in Honda's fleet is a big time stroker.

How about a stroked 408 Ford smallblock that revs 8000rpm and begs for more.

What a joke naji...drive it first before you slam it.

Your such a negative person...sheesh.

[/B]</font>
Whatever. If it was such a hot performance engine, then why does it have such a low redline? Because it has weak valvetrian. Why did Nissan equip it with a weak vavletrain? because it is not a performance engine. The SR20DE/VE is a performance engine. The B18C1&5 are performance engines. Not the QR. The QR has more torque than hp. That is a performance engine!!!

Please...If Nissan wanted a perfromance engine they would have dropped the NEW SR20VE in the SE-R. But creating the new SE-R was an afterthought. "We have a new engine for the Altima, how about we drop it in the Sentra and call it an SE-R." At least the SR20DE *is* a turbo performance engine. The QR cannot handle more than 10 psi of boost w/o sealing the deck.

Even Honda that has long strokes for its 4 banger engines, does not have one with as long a stroke as the QR. The ratio is 2:1

You will soon see the QR in the base Frontier and then you will know that it is a truck engine. Something has to replace the aging KA and it will be the QR.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Personally Naji, I'm looking forward to seeing some people do the minor valvetrain work (minor compared to any kind of turbo kit or closing deck etc) along with I/H/E and send that "afterthought" screaming down the 1/4 or the front straight of your favorite racetrack faster than the "last of the se-r's" (not anymore!) ever could go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts