SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that this topic has been covered many times before, but I couldn't really find the information that I'm after after scanning through the current forums and the (somewhat empty) archive.

I currently have a basically stock SR20De (the SR20De is a slightly lower performance version of the SR20DE, generating 130bhp and 125lb/ft torque).

Since the spark plugs are due for changing, I'm gonna replace the ones in there with the NGK Platium ones recommended on SE-R.net. I've also got hold of a K&N induction kit, as I figured getting rid of the factory air box would be a good place to start.

What I am after, and I'm sure would help other new members too, is your opinions on the various other "upgrades" you can commonly get for the SR20DE - namely:

Intakes
Headers
Exhausts
Timing advancement
Replacement ECU's
Chips
Cat-replacement pipes
Cams

As well as any others you can think of...

Many thanks for your help - Anthony.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The timing advance is free, so go ahead and do that. You won't notice much of a difference, but you might get better throttle response. Another free mod is to tighten up the throttle cable.

I would say that the s3 or s4 cams will give you the best bang for the buck. Then the Header. Then a CAI. I put a header on, then cams, and then CAI. The CAI made the most noticeable difference, but I think that was because I already had the cams and header.

Ben

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ang!:
What I am after, and I'm sure would help other new members too, is your opinions on the various other "upgrades" you can commonly get for the SR20DE - namely:

Intakes
Headers
Exhausts
Timing advancement
Replacement ECU's
Chips
Cat-replacement pipes
Cams

As well as any others you can think of...
[/B]</font>

------------------
'93 NX2K

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
i disagree with Ben. Unless you can get an ECU to raise your rev limit, I wouldn't get aftermarket cams. Having the cams with a 7100 rev limit sucks. What year is your car ? You might be able to use the better 1992 SR20DE intake cam.
Do the free mods, including an open airbox with a K&N filter. Unless you want to do a full cold air intake, that is a nice mod.

Cat doesn't need to be bypassed or replaced.

After that I would do header and underdrive pulleys.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that information.

The car is a UK model 1997 P11 Primera, which is the same as your current G20 I believe.

I haven't found anyone that sells an aftermarket ECU in this country (UK), so I'm stuck with the stock ECU I'm afraid. So yes, that leaves me with a crappy 7100rpm limit

I'm not doing the full CAI mod, as the frequent wet weather we get over here makes me very wary of that, judging by messages I've read from people who have shafted their engine after hitting a puddle. I have got hold of a K&N induction kit (similar to the JWT POP charger I think), which I'll hopefully put on this weekend and scrap the factory airbox for good

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
They work with out CAI's??

------------------
Jordan
'98 Sentra SE(R)
Hotshot G3 Header, Hotshot CAI, JWT s4 Cams, KYB AGXs, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy F&R STB's, ES Mounts, MOMO Shifter, Nis-Knacks chrome projector headlights and clear corners, 205/50/15 Pirelli P700Z's on SE-R wheels, 205/40/17 Kuhmos on 17" Borbet Type S's for the summer

15.454 @ 88mph at
Englishtown, NJ - stock cams

14's this season

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I belive so. if not do you have a dremel tool. just cut a little part of it out, and throw it in. they make 3 to 4 diffrent sizes. I think we need a 3 inch?

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you given any thought to using a "bypass valve" on a CAI? From my understanding, it's a fairly foolproof system that works pretty well that shuts down the CAI if it detects water(or any kind of liquid)in the CAI tube tract, and then diverts the water out while it opend the top of the valve to let air in-I know Summit racing has them for sale at around 35$.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts