SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
utahnissans.com
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was test fitting my new intercooler and noticed that only 3" of a 6" tall intercooler is actually getting air to it. I just wanted to get some ideas/opinions on taking a dremel and cutting 1 1/2-2" on the bumper cover. I wonder if this will look like crap or will be ok.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I just see a red X

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
I think it would look cool if you cut the lower part of the bumper. The car will look like it's smiling. :)

If you're not upto cutting the bumper on your car, you could always get one from a boneyard and do whatever you have to do to it to accommodate the IC.

·
Baby Blue VVL
3,202 Posts
What about "tilting" the intercooler
The new thing with FD rx7's is a "v" mount intercooler. the top of the intercooler is tilted in and the bottom of the radiator is also. That way both get air flow. Dunno if you could use that exact set up but maybe you could think of a different way of mounting the intercooler.

maybe tilt it downward and make a spoiler scoop that directs air to the face of the IC?

O

·
Slowly modding...
389 Posts
Harris said:
I think it would look cool if you cut the lower part of the bumper. The car will look like it's smiling. :)

Your car is smiling at me! Theres my quick chop of what it would look like.

-Ken

·
utahnissans.com
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Don't know why I can't get a pic inbetween HUGE and small and distorted on here. I am just worried if I dremel it it will be crooked and the paeoce leftover will be really flimsy. Oh well, I think I might have to do that.

ONxyEros: I don't have much room to play with due to the Avenir piping. :(

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
So did you add a larger intercooler to the HS tubing kit?

·
BANNED!!eleven
840 Posts
cut it. if you want to make it look utilitarian, then just cut it straight down from in front of the fins.

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Thats what I would do but I think he is using the HS pipes and I doubt he would want to mod them.

cnynracer1 said:
cut the bumper core support and move the intercooler up.

·
Racing Addict
254 Posts
OnyxEros said:
What about "tilting" the intercooler
The new thing with FD rx7's is a "v" mount intercooler. the top of the intercooler is tilted in and the bottom of the radiator is also. That way both get air flow. Dunno if you could use that exact set up but maybe you could think of a different way of mounting the intercooler.

maybe tilt it downward and make a spoiler scoop that directs air to the face of the IC?

O
A good friend of mine has an 89 turbo Supra and the IC is mounted the way you just described. It could be a good option IMO.

·
Slowly modding...
389 Posts
KrAsH said:
A good friend of mine has an 89 turbo Supra and the IC is mounted the way you just described. It could be a good option IMO.
I've heard of mounting the ic and radiator like that, but our cars do not have a long nose like those cars. Especially the rx7's, with those tiny rotarys.

·
-
3,560 Posts
Get a late-model Mirage grille and insert it into a cut you make in the lower bumper. Or brake ducts from a race shop.

·
-John-
690 Posts
I like the pic/idea B13Ken had, cutting from the top. I think if you could find a way to trim it with a dremel or possibly melt it that it would be effective and look good.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
There's one other problem with the V-mount setup mentioned above. From my research they're typically not designed to incorporate fans. If the car is sitting still it won't have airflow over either the radiator or intercooler, which might lead to cooling problems.

·
utahnissans.com
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cnynracer1 said:
cut the bumper core support and move the intercooler up.
I was thinking about this but then I still have only 3" of IC showing. So that plan really wouldn't help.

I appreciate all the ideas guys, I think I might look at it some more and might end up chopping it and hoping it looks good.

PAnx2k&ser, this is the HS kit and with the avenir piping I am very limited to how much it can move in ANY direction. I am already having to cut 2" of piping on each side to accomodat the new Spearco.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
what about heating up the bumper and trying to bend the rear part of the bottom lip so you can put a more inches of exposed i/c and bolt the two pieces together (hard to describe, but I know what I am thinking about)

·
Gone V8 Hunting Lately?
1,172 Posts
Sometimes you have to do drastic measures to get proper air flow. Look at my sig pic. I was only gettin about 3" in the air until I cut my bumper out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts