SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you flame me I tried everything and am still getting poor mileage--around 190 miles a tank at $3.15 a gallon PLEASE HELP!!!:confused:
Here is the rundown--I changed: cap,rotor,wires,plugs,PCV,O2,IAC,MAS,FPR& fuel filter.
I adjusted the TPS,fuel press. to specs. Replaced the injectors (2 were bad). Removed the EGR, BPT & CAT converter.
The mods on the car are S4 cams,HS header & intake,Larger TB,Stromung cat back,Test pipe,JWT ECU, clutch & PP, Walbro fuel pump.
As for the timing I cant be sure but the light shows 15 deg. and idle is at 900rpm to smooth out the roughness of the cams.

Can anyone help me? Does anyone live on Long Island that has a consult to check this thing out,someone was supposed to help me but I keep getting the run around from him and I can't deal with this anymore.

I need to fix this before I put the turbo kit on. If I cant fix this I am going to have to get rid of the car and I don't want to do that.

Thanks in advance for any help I get.

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
My car gets horrible gas miliage too. My guess is the extra fuel pressure from the 255lph Walbro pump is causing it to run rich.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm.....lay off the lead foot? just an idea.

If only it was that easy!!!!!

the fuel pressure is set at factory with the Nismo FPR.

When you say tuned--in what way?? There is a Jim Wolf ecu if that is what you mean. I don't know any other way to tune it. That is why I asked if anyone had a consult I could use.

Anyone else?? this is realy killing me--in the wallet :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
check your detonation sensor (knock sensor). the easiest way is to check the ECU error codes.

if it is giving an error, try cleaning the plug/connector, that was all that was wrong with mine, and now my fuel eccon has gone up about 20%.

when the det sensor isn't working, the ECU runs A LOT less timing, which isn't optimal for performance or fuel eccon

M

·
6,928 Posts
Good advise, I've never heard that before! People have always said when you get the knock sensor code that it needs replaced, but if the connection gets dirty, that makes sence.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
JohnnyFriend said:
Before you flame me I tried everything and am still getting poor mileage--around 190 miles a tank at $3.15 a gallon PLEASE HELP!!!:confused:
Here is the rundown--I changed: cap,rotor,wires,plugs,PCV,O2,IAC,MAS,FPR& fuel filter.
I adjusted the TPS,fuel press. to specs. Replaced the injectors (2 were bad). Removed the EGR, BPT & CAT converter.
The mods on the car are S4 cams,HS header & intake,Larger TB,Stromung cat back,Test pipe,JWT ECU, clutch & PP, Walbro fuel pump.
As for the timing I cant be sure but the light shows 15 deg. and idle is at 900rpm to smooth out the roughness of the cams.
Can anyone help me? Does anyone live on Long Island that has a consult to check this thing out,someone was supposed to help me but I keep getting the run around from him and I can't deal with this anymore.
I need to fix this before I put the turbo kit on. If I cant fix this I am going to have to get rid of the car and I don't want to do that.
Thanks in advance for any help I get.
First of all, telling us how many miles you get to the tank is pretty useless. Give us a specific mpg. Reset your trip odometer when you fill up. Next time you fill up divide the miles on the trip odometer by the gallons you put in your tank. Also, try to give us a reading of all highway miles when you go on a long trip. I could easily get my mileage into the teens by driving hard.

Is your fuel system stock or is it upgraded in preperation for the turbo? If you replaced injectors, how do the injector o rings look?

·
aka Mr Ryte on G20.net
1,478 Posts
Also, how much time do you spend in stop & go/rush hour traffic?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK here goes--when I said 200 miles per tank that relates to 15 MPG since we have 13 gallon tanks most of my driving is to & from work which is about 30 min of highway and 15 min stop and go. As far as the led foot part is concerned I dont live on the gas just small sperts (merging and such) Even if I was constantly on the gas it wouldent explain the rich smell and dark black carbon on my tailpipe.The plugs are gaped properly -I just checked them. There are no codes from the ECU. I will check the knock sensor--thats one I havent heard before.
The O-rings on the injectors are good.The fuel system is not stock like I said before there is a walbro 255 with a Nismo FPR set to factory pressure.
The strange part is no matter how I grive I get the same mileage--I even tried a week not going over 3k rpm or 55mph--no difference so that kills the LEAD FOOT theories.
If anyone lives near Westbury LI and might be able to help or has a consult I could use please let me know.

·
6,928 Posts
Have you regrounded the MAF?

·
6,928 Posts

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
JohnnyFriend said:
OK here goes--when I said 200 miles per tank that relates to 15 MPG since we have 13 gallon tanks most of my driving is to & from work which is about 30 min of highway and 15 min stop and go. As far as the led foot part is concerned I dont live on the gas just small sperts (merging and such) Even if I was constantly on the gas it wouldent explain the rich smell and dark black carbon on my tailpipe.The plugs are gaped properly -I just checked them. There are no codes from the ECU. I will check the knock sensor--thats one I havent heard before.
The O-rings on the injectors are good.The fuel system is not stock like I said before there is a walbro 255 with a Nismo FPR set to factory pressure.
The strange part is no matter how I grive I get the same mileage--I even tried a week not going over 3k rpm or 55mph--no difference so that kills the LEAD FOOT theories.
If anyone lives near Westbury LI and might be able to help or has a consult I could use please let me know.
It does not translate to 15 mpg if you don't put 13 gallons in it. On most SE-R's you would have to run on E for 100 miles or so to get anywhere close to 13 gallons in the tank.

·
i smell that whore.
1,470 Posts
mpg9999 said:
It does not translate to 15 mpg if you don't put 13 gallons in it. On most SE-R's you would have to run on E for 100 miles or so to get anywhere close to 13 gallons in the tank.
when you say run on E what do you mean? half the time my gauge will record about 1/8 of a tank, and the light will come on. i can get about 40 miles before the car runs out of gas, after the light comes on. and that was with the car running somewhat right. i know these gas gauges have problems.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
jeffinbham said:
when you say run on E what do you mean? half the time my gauge will record about 1/8 of a tank, and the light will come on. i can get about 40 miles before the car runs out of gas, after the light comes on. and that was with the car running somewhat right. i know these gas gauges have problems.

Yeah, its not so much the gauge as it is the sending unit. If I go down to the E (empty, thats what I mean), I can still only put about 9 gallons in. That means I've got another 4 gallons to burn after I hit empty on my gauge.

·
nx-less
1,723 Posts
somewhat similiar to my car. if i fill up a btwn 1-5 miles after E, i can only fill maybe 9.5. usually i'd run the tank till about 30 after E and get in about 10-10.5gallons +/-

1 - 20 of 23 Posts