SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
54C PWNS ME
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering from what the people who have done mods: What do you consider to be more balanced for autocrossing and fun road driving. A mild t28 setup or a good N/A setup. A T28 can flat out melt tires ( GPs autocross beast will roast victos like a mother). Then with say a C series setup you lose a lot of torque but you have decent power still. Im just kind of going over this in my head. Torque is nice and all. But I would want to have some respectable power and still have a balanced car per say. Just thought I could have a fun thread here :) .

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
I love auto-xing with my t25 and s3 cams. I just took first out of 17 cars in Street Mod last sunday running Potenza S-O3s. 1st gear is pretty useless, just use it on the launch. If you leave the boost at stock, you don't have to worry about roasting the tires too much. Granted, it depends a lot on the surface you're running on. With the turbo though, it gives you a huge fat powerband. You basically never have to shift out of 2nd, unless you're going to 3rd :).

Khiem

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm a fan of the all-motor, probably just because my car is, haha. If it was a full-out road race/track day car, it'd be mildly turbo'ed, but if it was just street and auto-x, I'd be all over the all-motor.

·
54C PWNS ME
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what im thinking. the small turbo torque is awsome, and you have a great powerband. But then again i can see the all motor pov. Khiem, when you autocross, do you have to be really easy on the throttle or can you gently give it more through the turns. this is how i drive now, but i honestly have no clue what a turbo car would be like, same as to a well preppped N/A car. I even wonder what a mild T3/T04 setup would be like, high 200s to 300s in hp. It would be a little more laggy, which may be a good thing for what i would want. but, then again, i dont have a fat wallet either,im going to just have to save for half a year like i always do.

·
8,886 Posts
A lower final drive and a all moter setup might be really fun as well. sr16ve final drive would be perfect in my car. My car can spin its tires autocrossing pretty easy. Not as easy as a turbo tq biased car but you still need to not be a masher.

·
54C PWNS ME
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that sounds like a very fun car Steve. I cant mash the pedal either when i am racing, so thats why i was asking about the turbo car. but then again, i was running on crappy Street tires, victos or slicks would make a big difference. with per say a higher hp DE setup, the gearing could sort of make up for the lost torque. i will have to look and see if gearing/differentials are allowed in SP. that sounds neat.

·
sleeper
5,445 Posts
The throttle is very easy to modulate with the small turbos. Plus, if you're only using about 7psi, it's not going to rip the tires lose (too violently at least). The boost comes on smooth and early, should be at full boost by around 2.5k. And it's not like your boosting 15psi where if you're going from 0 to 15 in a split second, it'll rip them loose. It really is like just having a bigger NA motor because there is no lag.

For auto-x, i'd stay away from anything bigger than a t28. Auto-x courses are generally too tight and you will fall out of boost and get a fair amount of lag with the t3/t4 turbos. I know someone who was running a t3/t4 setup and switched back to a t28 setup for auto-x.

Um, there have been times where I was powering out of a corner and then both wheels broke loose causing the car to go straight; happened in the slalom even. But all you have to do is breath off the throttle a hair till the tires grap again. Very easy to control.

For a daily driver/auto-x car, it's hard to beat a small turbo setup. Makes for a ton of fun on the street and good, usable power for auto-x. For a daily driver/road course car, I'd stick to NA. You start running into thermal issues with turbo cars on road courses where in auto-x, you're only going for about 50 seconds so it's not a big deal.

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
I'm planning on doing a t28 setup as well...a nice mild set up with some s3s :)

-Josh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts