SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My situation is: My car overheats! I drive it fo rfive minutes and watch the temp guage rise to the extreme hot side. The coolant is full and I replaced the thermostat (correctly too!). When I shut off I can hear the reservoir boiling. I think it is the head gasket, but how do I make sure since that would be a hard and costly repair. Thanks for your help!

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
I'm quite sure it isn't the head gasket. A head gasket problem would involve more than just the overheating problem (you would see oil in your coolant reservoir and white smoke coming out of your tailpipe, for example). Look for leakage and overall condition of your radiator.

·
Registered
724 Posts
To start off, check to see if your fans are coming on. Do a compression check (engine cyls) and also pressurize the coolant system and check for leaks.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Sometimes we often overlook the simplist things, try your cap? Yes that has been a culprit in overheating, as unlikely as it may seem. I would double check your thermostat install as well. If all that fails, go through all your leak tests, etc, but if your radiator is not full or has just water, as opposed to a coolant/water mix, you could see overheating.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
^^

Yup. Those are two good things to check as well. If the rad. cap is the culprit, right now would be the best time for you to purchase a 300ZX TT 1.2 bar cap.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
your water pump could be dead as well, not very likely because they don't go bad too often, but still possible, also see if there is rust and junk floating around in your radiator, you could be clogged somewhere and not flowing correctly. and also make sure it IS boiling, because if it is, there is something definately wrong with your fans or whatever, it should only hit 195ish degrees in the system, it could be that water is just being pushed into or out of your resivoir and it sounds like it is boiling. does your car have a hard time starting in the morning and spit and sputter? if so it could be a head temp sensor and that monitors the fans, along with the a/f ratio because it helps with the warming up of the car when it is cold, also, check the other sensor right beside it, it will have one wire coming out of it, that is the sensor for the gauge, that can go bad as well.

·
midnight_marauder
395 Posts
Im having the same problem with my car, I replaced the radiator cap, still the same problem. I replaced the radiator, because I thought that it was leaking (the tank was separating from the cooling element). Still the same, but to a lesser degree....at cruising speed on the highway, the water temp goes back to normal, but idling it starts to heat up, but not as bad as it used to be. Hard accelerating on the freeway, and it warms too. Could it be my water pump? Im going to put a stock nissan thermostat (there is cheap Autozone one in there now) tomorrow, I dont think that it is opening properly, the water hose coming out of it is a lot cooler to the touch than the upper hose, which is going into the engine right?

·
just workin'
1,345 Posts
check oil and coolant and oil, if no mixing has occured you should be clear of headgasket problems, i doubt that is the problem, do you have any leaks? did you pressure check the system, do your fans operate at the right time? are the upper and lower hoses getting hot, you need to do some more investingation

·
Registered
3 Posts
What happens if you`re idling and you turn your cabin heater and fans full on. Does the car continue to overheat when you are trying to dump heat into the car?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fally said:
What happens if you`re idling and you turn your cabin heater and fans full on. Does the car continue to overheat when you are trying to dump heat into the car?
Yes, It still does with heat coming into the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts