SR20 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just lobbed around a curve at around 50 on the way back into work from picking up food and the back end started to come around. WTF? I have the stock suspension and the stock RSA's with 30k on them, all at the prescribed 44psi. The only thing I can think of is that the rear tires have less tread than the front. A noticable difference, but not to the indicators or anything. Ideas?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't make me kick you out of the Sentra SE forum.... :p

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hmmm....perhaps the tire pressures could be altered front to rear? I know that the OE prescribed PSI is 33 front/30 rear cold. I run mine about 3-4psi max up from the recommended, which runs them about 39-40psi max when hot. No problems with the rear end coming around. Also, isn't 44psi the *max* psi for our RSA's? If so, you're on the edge - the tire has little to no give to absorb road irregularities. As our cars are front heavy, a jolt to the rear end in a tight turn could conceivably unsettle it? Dunno, just thoughts....

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought you wanted to run the max psi your tires are supposed to. Other tires I've had were rated only at 35 psi max. Since the RSAs are 44 psi max, I thought that's where I should put it for max handling ability. I thought putting a tire with a max rating of 44psi to 30-35 would be like putting a tire4 with a max rating of 35psi down to 22-26 or something. Am I doing this all wrong?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Our cars get a little jittery with the rear tires pumped up if you are on a bumpy curve with the beam-thingy rear suspension. For handling, try about 38psi. I have added the ES front sway bar bushing, and this stiffens up the front a little, the car now sometimes understeers a little.

Speaking of suspension, I plan on getting the AGX shocks and keeping the stock springs for a while. Then probaly get some better anti-roll bars.

Jacen 99SE PRWAI, JWT Cams, UR pulleys, ES Stuff, Pacesetter S/S

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Its has to be the pressure. If you like the oversteer stay with it. Otherwise set it to factory spec and work up from their. I had my 205/55/15 avs's at 36f/38r and it was nice. I coulden't get the rear out unless it was raining but it felt safe. Once I had the rears set at 50 autoxing and the ass was kicking out like a mo-fo. Its cool in a semi controled setting 8).

Mike

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks guys. I will go outside and lower the pressure to about 38 right now and see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
ya, on 44 psi I would lower it too :) probably feels like driving on bricks. although my 205/40/17s does not make my baby drive like a caddy either

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I've got 44 in front and 38 in back. Does that sound ok? Going to go to work real quick to turn in my timecard and will see how this does.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a little different now. The weirdest thing was that as I was taking a long right turn at about 50ish and shoved the wheel a little bit more right at the end, the outside passenger tire just SCREAMED. WTF? Always thought the inside front tire was the one that was supposed to lose traction and yell for mercy?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That made sense. Change the part where I said "outside passenger tire" to "outside driver tire"

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Oh but dont you love lifting the inside rear tire in turns :) The fun of front wheel drives. My favirot pic is on Roffe's website of his old VW with the back tire about a foot in the air.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts